So I've got this idea that would be amazing but its slightly impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Size matters, the circuit must be powerful enough to run the whole sword, not just near the handle.

That's a good point actually...

And I'm still interested in how this twisted thing really works. Assuming that the inside of the surface is covered with one electrode and the second is at the bottom, then what makes the plasma travel all the way to the top?

To create a plasma ball in the shape of an energy sword you will need glass forming skills. The container must be strong enough to hold a vacuum (air is removed) before the noble gas can be add in. You could use plastic, but you wouldn't get the cool surface effects that glass will produce.

Yeah, he's right about that. Though glass will yield better looking results, I personally would try to exhaust my choices and find a sturdier alternative. For this particular project I don't think acrylic is what you are looking for.

Can we build a real lightsaber after this? :p

i like this idea tbo.. but they drawbacks/issues seem rather high, so just off the top of my head.. useing the same idea of the hollow and sealed blade, running led/fiber optic through the blade middle and filling it with crystalised gel.. the light refracting would be sweet and give u the option of makeing it pulse glow or even strobe.. i know not quite the lightning effect.. but with fiber optic run along the insides .. tree root style then the glow from the led/gel would be fairly close.. the controls could easy fit into a fair sized handle and allow for changeable batterys..

just a thought

I realize you want the plasma ball effect for it, but have you considered using glo wire? I used them in a prop a while ago. Little battery pack powered light wires. I suppose you could arrange them in a lightning bolt style inside the sword. The battery pack switch was on, off or rapid pulsing. That might look good too. :)

http://www.glowire.com/

Just an idea!

Thanks for the helpful information. You said that if i were to use plastic it wouldnt have the cool surface effects. What if I used something like clear acrylic? My step dad works with plastic for a living so im trying to use that to my advantage.
You are welcome to try, good idea to do a small scale run before taking the project further.

Yeah, he's right about that. Though glass will yield better looking results, I personally would try to exhaust my choices and find a sturdier alternative. For this particular project I don't think acrylic is what you are looking for.

Can we build a real lightsaber after this? :p
Funny thing is 20 years ago, the only lightsabers you could get were neon tube ones. Very fragile.

I realize you want the plasma ball effect for it, but have you considered using glo wire? I used them in a prop a while ago. Little battery pack powered light wires. I suppose you could arrange them in a lightning bolt style inside the sword. The battery pack switch was on, off or rapid pulsing. That might look good too. :)
Funny that you mention glow wire. Take a look at the video for Sean Bradley's Halo 2 Sword. It uses glow wire and even pulsates!
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sean_bradley_energy_sword/

Glow wire is still dwarfed to the current method of creating a LED rail of blue / red LEDs. They can do the animated extension for turn on/off, synced with audio and pulsates different colors.
Watch a video of my Halo 3 Energy Sword:

You can see the LED rail and blade structure here.
4736054997_af620c87e9.jpg
Testing fit by thatdecade, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that there are easier ways to make an energy sword. My whole intention with this thread was to discus a possible new one. Im going to try and find out more info on the twisted plasma thing.... i really should find the real name of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back