Some Decent Pics Of My Mkvi (finally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperdyne

just wanted to share some pics that were taken the other day. I'm pretty happy with these.

I'll be uploading pics of the new project soon. This time, I will post many more detailed pictures of the process.

Hyperdyne

Sweet suit, although the chest looks a little too long in some of those shots.

Also, which methods did you use to make this? Fiberglass and bondo appraoch or hot glue and Mod Podge, or maybe even something new?

Afr0Blu3 said:

Also, which methods did you use to make this? Fiberglass and bondo appraoch or hot glue and Mod Podge, or maybe even something new?
yeah the chest looks long ,that some sweet armor btw

Last edited by a moderator:
I started this suit in Jan 09 and got it to the point that you see in the pictures in mid-April. This is my first suit, though I made some test pieces and a couple of helmets last Nov And Dec to try to figure out what methods worked best for me.

One thing that really helped me determine what to do about paint was trying several different techniques on a few sample pieces and using that to determine the final paint scheme.

box o crayons said:
yea your defiantly not a noob nice work on the suit, how long did it take you

I used fiberglass, bondo and a thinner body filler that helps to avoid pinholes, over the hd pepakura models. Additionally, I used a thin (80lb) cardstock, as I found one that will completely absorb resin after coating both sides. That way I can sand down into, and through, the paper core and the material is consistent.

Afr0Blu3 said:

you suit looks fantastic, and the paint job on point. you should be wicked proud. for a moment i thought i was looking at in game shots.

The suit looks great! Awesome job bud! :)

How tall are you and what's the scale you used for your Helmet and Bicep pieces? And are you going to add the tubing on your helmet?

That suit looks amazingly well done. It really is an inspiration to me as to what pep and hard work can accomplish. Great job once again.

Phil

Thanks! Sometimes when I was working on it, I was not sure that it would turn out right at all, so to the new Pepakura users out there: Have patience when folding, and even if it doesn't look right in scale or shape immediately, I found from my own experience that I just have to see it through. I went right to the HD model for my first suit, but it was also very time consuming, so I had to learn to take it in stride and not rush it.

I'm 5' 6", and I struggled throughout the process the whole time because I have short legs. I initially brought the thigh pieces into a 3D program to squish them laterally on the vertical axis, but I built the other versions and those ended up working fine after some scalloping.

I didn't scale my stuff in Pepakura. I was fortunate enough to get a 3D scan of my body at work late last year, so I cleaned it up a bit and imported it into Maya. I then imported all of the Pepakura models as obj files and scaled them in the program around my body. I used inches for the units because it was the easiest way for me to read the numbers.

Then I employed 1 of 2 methods.

1. Once I scaled all of the pieces, I created a 1 inch X 1 inch plane and used that as a datum to create ratios between that square and the piece. I would then export them as a new obj, but would have to re-unfold it. The reason this helped, is that when I would bring it into Illustrator or AutoCAD, I could scale everything at once, and know that I would just have to scale that square to make it 1".

2. The easier method is just to measure a major fold or edge and measure it in the 3D program and then scale it to that same measurement once bringing it into AutoCAD or Illustrator. I hardly know how to use AutoCAD or Illustrator, and I was able to figure this stuff out pretty easily, so I recommend it for experimentation for paper folding.

This cut out some of the guesswork. The helmet, chest, thighs, cod and feet came out perfect the first time. I could never quite get the forearms to the point where I was happy - I did three sizes total. I also made three different sizes for the shins. The issue for me with the forearms and the shins was a fight between degree of movement and design.

Originally, I was going to add the tubing on the helmet, along with other details, but I have been wearing this suit a lot, and I'm happy with it overall, so I am going to include all the details on the new MKVI that I am working on (already have the visor cut out).

pooper said:
The suit looks great! Awesome job bud! :)

How tall are you and what's the scale you used for your Helmet and Bicep pieces? And are you going to add the tubing on your helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back