South Uk Based Master Chief Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy ....... i dont even know what to say but amazing.

O and i went to the store and i bought some oil based clay and it is expensive, how much total money did you or are you spending

Update...

We use resin to fix our fibreglass mannequin to our baseboards. Nothing can topple it :)

Another weekend gone, they really do fly by lately. Weve continued to work on the helmet, tidying up the cast ... looking really nice. Weve pulled the chest back now aswell, again... good cast. We need to tidy the edges and work on the join before I can really try it on but its great to finally have one cast.

Big update this week though is the upper arms. Weve gone a slightly different route with these. As the left and right have many identical / symmetrical parts... we decided to break it down into pieces we could reproduce. The front, side and most of the back plate can all be created, moulded and mirrored to work on both the left and right.

So we made these:

UpperArm1.jpg

UpperArm2.jpg

UpperArm3.jpg

Mould them / fiberglassed them:

UpperArm4.jpg

Then, very quickly tonight I have... just for my own amusement really :) quickly placed them on our arm model.

UpperArm5.jpg

UpperArm6.jpg

Obviously on the final sculpt they will be bulked out... space wise, to more accuratly work with the proportions of the rest of the arm. They will sit better etc etc... you know the drill.

Over the next week we will place them in clay. Join the individual parts in clay... work on the small amount of details that arnt perfectly symmetrical... mostly the top of the back plate. Hopefully towards the end of the week we will have both upper arms finished ready for moulding.

Other news, weve finally... after all these years of searching *cough* No thats Aladdin... finished the hand plate. I must appologise for the shoddy photo, going to say it again :) We never take photos at sensible hours of the day lol. Going to mould this over the next week aswell.

HandPlate1.jpg

Hope you like :)

OMG, this is just getting better and better! Every time you post a new picture, I am freshly inspired! Great idea breaking up the bicep! Did you sculpt the pieces inside their boxes, or did you sculpt them on the mannequin and move them to the boxes afterward? I expect you'll only need to pull another cast of the shin/calf, and can see why that couldn't be done for the forearms, but I thought that it could be done for the thighs... Oh, wait, no, I see it now! Too bad, it's hard enough getting bilateral symmetry on a single piece, I would be TERRIFIED to try to get TWO pieces mirrored like that, especially large ones like the thighs! And to have done it so quickly! Then again, you are awesomely talented :)

Congrats on the engagement, by the way!

Thanks everyone :)

The bicep pieces were sculpted on flat boards and not on the mannequin. We spent an evening with a tape measure figuring out how large it needed to be. Weve just clayed the fiberglass peices in place actually and whilst it is sitting roughly an inch further up the arm than it would sit on me... easier to sculpt the rest there due to the mannequin itself, long story! Its size and bulk look great.

Yes the shin / carf will work on both legs so when we come to fiberglass it... we will create two. It was a shame the thigh didnt work like that :)

Im really glad we did the bicep method now, as you say.... not only sculpting each part to be symmetrical within themselves, but also both left and right... nightmare! Theres relatively little to do on them now they are placed. Well, thats the theory.

We expect, we hope is more like it :) the costume will be finished in just under 4 weeks. Ive got a large troop at the London Expo here in the UK and id love to show case it there. We hope to get it 'complete' for then, troopable... but obviously over the following weeks ill be refining parts. Taking feedback from how it all sits on me etc etc.

Thanks Adam, appreciate it.

Are you Effin kidding me?!!
Holee snot.
I'm curious, what did you do for a living before you sold your soul for some scary talent.

This project is really one of the best around here, or... I guess anywhere... Great idea of reusing the same moulds for symmetrical parts. May I ask what you will use as an undersuit?

j3u5a8n is right... the epicness of the project made me forgot to congratulate you...

Congratulations with your engagement :)

Thanks everyone, im glad you like it! Haha alix965 :)

Im supprised more people havent done the that method of sculpting the bicep, I never even considered doing it any other way... just made sense :) As for our undersuit, we are working on it. Ill post some pics when we have something more complete... going to be a few weeks yet.

Thanks everyone regarding our engagement, really appreciate it. Im still smiling all day about it :)

Update...these should be finished by the weekend. Properly placed now, all clayed in. They look really big, bulky and really work well with the lower arms. The detail we couldnt replicate in fiberglass have been detailed up. Needs a good finish! However weve both given ourselves tonight off so we will be doing that tomorrow through Saturday.

UpperArm7.jpg

UpperArm8.jpg

UpperArm9.jpg

This project is really one of the best around here, or... I guess anywhere... Great idea of reusing the same moulds for symmetrical parts. May I ask what you will use as an undersuit?
Dude, if you say that you're gonna sculpt the undersuit I'm gonna have a Kitten. Scrtach that...a LIITTER of kittens.....probably calicos..

P.S. how does it make your fiancee feel when she reads over you're shoulder and she sees all the praise her man is receiving.
a) Wow, I'm a lucky girl to be engaged to such a talented artist.
b) Ha. That's nothing wait till they see my sculpt
c) Ha! What a buncha nerds!

This is one of the first threads I have checked out here, and it is my first post on the site since joining the other day. I cannot believe how amazing this looks. I'm going to be depressed now as I try to make my own via the perpakura or whatever it's called. Never done anything like any of this before.

Anyway, congrats on an awesome project from the noob!

This is one of the first threads I have checked out here, and it is my first post on the site since joining the other day. I cannot believe how amazing this looks. I'm going to be depressed now as I try to make my own via the perpakura or whatever it's called. Never done anything like any of this before.

Anyway, congrats on an awesome project from the noob!
I think Rocketmike eloquently put into words the sentiment this particular thread invokes in all members who enter here. We each in our own way strive for this kind of praise.

Hey Sevv!

I've been watching closely while i've been doing my armour, and i got some moulds done and what not, (massive learning curve! but i got it figured out.) And i was dropping by to ask how you get such wondefully clean fibreglass castings, is their a specific method you use? Whenever i cast in Fibreglass i come up with a million little airbubbles very close to the surface, and i was wondering if i'm doing it all wrong and should be using a better method? Any response would be helpful. :D. Wonderful job so far too.

I'm interested to see how the undersuit turns out. I'm using clay for my undersuit but i'm gonna cut and draw templates to my size and then clay over the top of them. :D. Dunno if it will work or not, but i'll give it a try. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back