Spartan Fred and Kelly Build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by brkiker, Jun 23, 2017.

1. brkiker

brkiker RXO 405th Regiment Officer

There's been a bit of lull, but there has been progress. It may not look like much, but forward movement is forward movement.

First up. I put a a shade color on all the armor pieces I have done. Now I need to add all the little detail colors like the greys and random yellows.

[​IMG]

In preparation of building the main chest armor, I had help mocking up the armor with card stock to make sure it fits and help me actual build it.

[​IMG]

After questing to see if any auto place could to see if they could mirror coat Laura's visor to no avail, I finally sprayed the visor using Spaz Stix paint. I applied it with my airbrush in a few very thin almost misted coats. It turned out well enough, and she'll still be able to see through it. The vision is not great, about as good as I can see through my ODST visor, but it's manageable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be starting work on the chest armor now, so look forward to all that.

Dirtdives, THEdanru and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  2. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard Member

Hot *. You're doing fantastic. I can't even tell that that's foam in most of the pictures

DefineLuck and brkiker like this.
  3. brkiker

Thanks. I'm going to work to finish it by the end of the month. I foresee long nights ahead for me.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. brkiker

Well, I spent a lot of time on this, but there are so many errors staring at me that I've decided to just start over on the chest plate.

The biggest motivator for this is the center line. Getting the angles and lining things up has proven to be a big challenge. The other thing is that trying to assemble the center detail with things assembled around it also really makes putting it together that much harder.

The bright side of this is that I have a much better idea at how to put it together, so it might speed things up. [​IMG]

5. brkiker

Sorry it's been so quiet. Got wrapped up in the work up to QuestCon, and getting ready for Emerald Coast Con. However, in the mean time, I did manage to get some more work done on Laura's Kelly armor. Here's the results.

kellysternum.jpg

This has been a challenge. So many pieces changing to so many different angles. That's part of the reason it's taken me this long to get an update. It was basically cut a small piece, and see if it worked. If it didn't, cut another small piece and repeat the process. The plus side to this thought is that starting with the center line it will make building everything outward a whole lot easier.

I do have to be honest and I'm scared that it's too small. I have to keep reminding myself that it's scaled for Laura who is shorter and smaller than I am and that the mock up did work.

Anyway. Until next time let me know what you think.

6. brkiker

After getting some help from a friend on some of the small parts. I managed to make a big head way on the chest.

[​IMG]

However, I'm now have bad thoughts running through my brain: will it fit, the angle here should be sharper, I can do better, and so on. I'm keeping them under control, and won't do anything rash until I put the top together.

[​IMG]

I could really use some feed back so let me know what you think.

7. DefineLuck

DefineLuck Member

I think you are underestimating yourself. Your foam work is excellent and I think just about everyone that’s made any type of foam armor will tell you they had to remake certain pieces 2-4 times until they got the right fit and were pleased with it. Sometimes it just boils down to luck and experience - don’t forget making armor is a process, you’re going to learn and get better at it each time. You’re doing great so far from what I can see! The chest piece looks fantastic and if you get it all together and feel like you can do better you can always come back to it. Remember why we do this!!!

mblackwell1002 and Dirtdives like this.
  8. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

I agree w/ DefineLuck that you are underestimating yourself.......keep in mind, we are our own worst critic. Where we (meaning, ones self) see fault....others see as an incredible piece of work. The level of detail you are putting in, is fantastic. Now if it does turn out to be the wrong size.....it happens......it needs to be redone. That also comes w/ experience. Proper sizing...if your mock-up fit....the end result pieces should fit to. You're doing great...just keep building....and we'll keep snickering .......I mean encoring you. ;)

9. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Did someone call for light-hearted jabs with a side of overwhelming support?

10. brkiker

TurboCharizard Dirtdives DefineLuck Thanks guys. I know all to well the little voice in my own worst enemy. I'll plug along. Hopefully, once I get the rest of the chest plate put together I'll have a better idea on size. I laid the paper mock up on it and it still roughly matched up. I'll post more pics as things develop.

11. brkiker

Well, it's been a while since I've done an update or any work on the Kelly build. It's been a very cold winter here in Florida, so avoided working in the garage. Anyways. The first chest plate was too small. I forgot to take into account foam thickness when I scaled it, so I've started over. Here's the progress so far.

20180301_105947.jpg

Having made one already, this chest piece has gone together fairly quickly. I'm slowing down as I'm getting into new areas that I didn't previously make. I'm keeping it in sections for ease of build, and if I mess anything up, I just have to remake that section. As always, let me know what you think.

12. Marcus Hurston

Marcus Hurston New Member

It's been looking amazing! I'm not even experienced in any kind of armor making! I've tried countless times and failed each one, I just can't seem to get shapes right ever, and my edges are never clean consider me jealous!!

13. Marcus Hurston

Also I can never seem to get my armor to bend at all

14. brkiker

Marcus Hurston Having the right tools helps a lot, but we can certainly work towards helping you make your own.

Marcus Hurston likes this.
  15. Marcus Hurston

That would be awesome!!! The mostly armor knowledge I have is my mandolorian sheet metal suit!

16. brkiker

Finally took time to finish up the strapping for the boot armor of Laura's Kelly build.

[​IMG]

I thought about adding velcro to further stabilize and hold the armor in place, but it seems to be holding just fine as is. I'll see what happens when she walks around in them.

The upper foot armor will be attached with velcro. I've put 3 strips in place, so that should hold it. I also used industrial velcro to further help with the adherence.

Let me know what you think.

17. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002 Well-Known Member

Paint looks quite nice. Are you using an airbrush? Can't wait to see you paint some other parts.

Dirtdives likes this.
  18. brkiker

Yes I used and airbrush, but only to add the shading effect around the around the various detail pieces.

Dirtdives and mblackwell1002 like this.
  19. brkiker

The boots are all done. You can see a quick walking demonstration over on SunnyLadybug087

[​IMG]

After a quick walk around the living room, I realized I'm going to need to add a couple strips of velcro along the toe to keep it in line as she walks.

I hope to post a show and tell video on how they were made soon. Until then, let me know what you think.

20. brkiker

Well started work on getting the back to Kelly's torso armor together.

[​IMG]

Heading into unknown territory with this, but most of it seems straight forward for now. I'm likely to change my mind when I get to the thrusters. This is going to be an important part as this will tell me if the whole thing is going to fit or if I need to go back and restart.

We'll seey.

21. brkiker

Well, with a little help from a friend to figure out some of the small finicky bits, I managed to bring together all the bits for the chest and back.

Here's the final result.

[​IMG]

I still have a few little details to do. I also need to go around and clean up some edge with a Dremel, and then heat shape it into it's final form. My next step is probably to start work on the power plant. That way the two shoulder piece have fixed center point, and I'd have a solid chuck of the armor done.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any tips where to go from here.

22. brkiker

Things have been a little slow over here as I've worked on a few side projects and trying to figure out more of the details on Laura's armor.

In the mean time, we finally ordered and got a proper Kelly/Hermes helmet from BMP Props. Even got the visor for it in the correct color too. Right now I'm going through the process of cutting and sanding it. I think it's going to be a much better helmet than the Orbital, and will fit Laura's head a lot better.

31510346_1810402059039706_612085478799179776_o.jpg

Here's it's current state. I need to sand a uniform thickness around the edge where the visor is going to be before I can finish the little detail at the mouth of the helmet.

20180504_141945.jpg

For the armor, I've started on the power plant. This is going to be an important piece as it's what's going to join the "shoulder blade" which then is connected to the front. There are a lot of strange details, angles, and what not that I'm figuring out. Really hoping to get this done soon as I can then basically put the armor together for final fitting and strapping. After that, it's on to the thrusters.

[​IMG]

Until next time, like to know what you think, and if you got any tips.

23. Cody Fisher

Cody Fisher New Member

Dude epic!!!! I have to cheak out that program ... because sizing is my enemey!! And great job man!!!!

brkiker likes this.
  24. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

This is an inspiring build! Your lines are very clean, and attention to detail is impeccable! This reminds me of the heady days of Longshot-X's amazing Mk VI and the RvB set! Haha I look at this and think i want to get back into costuming.

Just a note, for work I am required to wear a lot of equipment, and since a lot of work is outside i can say with some authority that if you carry a lot of weight on your hips or shoulders, the day gets really long really quick. If you're still working on strapping, i would *Super Duper highly* recommend finding a way to split the load between both shoulders *and* hips, and make sure not to over -pad in odd areas. Too much pressure from the padding can make things just as uncomfortable as not having padding where needed.

I an impressed at the project you've got here. Great work!

Lieutenant Jaku and brkiker like this.
  25. brkiker

Thanks. I highly recommend Armorsmith Designer. I've got some basic tutorial videos of using it on my Youtube channel. The only mistake I made with sizing is that I forgot to compensate for the size change the thickness of foam will do. Otherwise, it is my go to tool now.

Thanks a lot. You should totally get back into it. We have not got to strapping, but the various ideas we've tossed around are being considered. Wearing my ODST kit all day, I know how things can get tiresome real quick. Though this armor should not be in the same ball park as mine when it comes to weight, but comfort and having the armor secured are things we are certainly taking into account.

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.