Spartan height adjustments (need advice, especially from gals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTAB01

Also, so this is going to be a bit of a weird post. But basically, I'm looking at ways to boost my height to be taller than normal, without being too extremely tall. I'm currently working on an ambition build [LINKED HERE], and I hope to boost my height a bit for this build.

As a male who is 6' 0" tall (about 182cm) I'm looking at buying platforms, or something similar to help compensate with the lack of the height in lore. Im looking for an end height of about 6' 5" (200cm) tall with the boots on, with a finish height about 1-2 inches taller than that with the helmet on. Basically, since Spartans in lore also have pretty large boots, I was looking at platforms that are about 2-3 inches tall at the base, and with the angle of my foot to boost me up another 1-2 inch. Something similar to these, but not as shiny on the sides. Having a two-tone black coloring, tough look near the base, and sturdy (stable) enough to walk on without too high a risk of rolling an ankle (while being comfortable). My feet are a size 10.5 in mens sizing (or about a 12.5 in womens, according to an online chart).
1598814167029.png

What advice would people have so that I could easily boost my height, be comfortable, and look fairly seamless at the same time?

20cm is a pretty big boost to height. The platforms shoes are a great start, but you'll probably be wanting more. I'll try thinking of some ideas, but in the meantime, can you think of anything you can do to make yourself look taller, without actually making yourself taller?

The major issue you would run into with just boosting the shoes is that your boot covers just end up looking extra long without proportion being added to the rest of your body. For something like an Elite cosplayers generally have to extend their arms with prosthetics and mount the head so that the view port is somwhere in the neck/ upper chest. This obviously is problematic for Spartans as they are proportional to humans. I'm 5'10", I've been looking fairly extensively into this height boost. The best I've been able to do so far is a 2" or at max 3" wedge or platform.

Admittedly I'm also commenting in hopes someone out there is smarter/ more creative/ more handsome/ better than me in every way and has better news than I bring.

20cm is a pretty big boost to height. The platforms shoes are a great start, but you'll probably be wanting more. I'll try thinking of some ideas, but in the meantime, can you think of anything you can do to make yourself look taller, without actually making yourself taller?
Yup, I'm currently looking at making the helmet, once it's finished, have about a 1 1/2 - 2 inch gap from the top of my skull to the top of out outer helmet. This would help to fit some padding and electronics.

The major issue you would run into with just boosting the shoes is that your boot covers just end up looking extra long without proportion being added to the rest of your body. For something like an Elite cosplayers generally have to extend their arms with prosthetics and mount the head so that the view port is somwhere in the neck/ upper chest. This obviously is problematic for Spartans as they are proportional to humans. I'm 5'10", I've been looking fairly extensively into this height boost. The best I've been able to do so far is a 2" or at max 3" wedge or platform.

Admittedly I'm also commenting in hopes someone out there is smarter/ more creative/ more handsome/ better than me in every way and has better news than I bring.
Same here mate, I'm hoping someone that someone smarter than me would add in some details too.

Actually, if you look at the sizing of all the Spartans......they have smaller feet than what their size should actually be. Bulking up the armor is one way "appear" larger that you are....The platform shoes/boots is probably the best way to increase you height.....

Unless...:
giphy.gif

Been looking at this issue for a future build as well and have saved a few posts of what other people did. There's only so much you'll be able to boost your height while still being able to walk.

From LilTyrant's Kat Build - note this post was in 2012 and the author hasn't been seen on the forums since 2016 (in other words, be wary of necro-posting)
From WandererTJ's Custom Build
From PerniciousDuke's Reach Suit link to shoe inserts

Last edited:
Well you’re in luck, it’s very much possible to bump your height up 5-6 inches. And yes, it’s possible to make your legs look longer like a comic book hero. I’m 5’11” and about 6’5” in armor (without helmet). I suggest maximizing the heel inclination when increasing height. This reduces the length of your foot while increasing the length of your legs (the greater the angle the more uncomfortable). For the toe, I’d suggest you only incline it 1.5-2 inches (make it as close to the ground as possible). The lower the toe is then you are less likely to have the effect of big clown feet. And since the foot length has been reduced, you are likely to have more space in the toe armor region as well as improving the placement of the armor pieces.

down side is, the higher the heel the less comfortable it is (obviously) but if it’s a trade-off you’re willing to make then go ahead. I’m still experimenting and currently am making drawings and measurements to maximize comfort. So far a 3.5 inch tall heel with a 1.5 inch toe platform is nice if you’re not planning to go extreme. Then maybe just wear rubber shoes over it so that bumps you up 1 more inch.

Extra: you can add another pad for the underneath of your boot about half an inch. It’s hidden but at least it’s another boost

Last edited:
Well you’re in luck, it’s very much possible to bump your height up 5-6 inches. And yes, it’s possible to make your legs look longer like a comic book hero. I’m 5’11” and about 6’5” in armor (without helmet). I suggest maximizing the heel inclination when increasing height. This reduces the length of your foot while increasing the length of your legs (the greater the angle the more uncomfortable). For the toe, I’d suggest you only incline it 1.5-2 inches (make it as close to the ground as possible). The lower the toe is then you are less likely to have the effect of big clown feet. And since the foot length has been reduced, you are likely to have more space in the toe armor region as well as improving the placement of the armor pieces.

down side is, the higher the heel the less comfortable it is (obviously) but if it’s a trade-off you’re willing to make then go ahead. I’m still experimenting and currently am making drawings and measurements to maximize comfort. So far a 3.5 inch tall heel with a 1.5 inch toe platform is nice if you’re not planning to go extreme. Then maybe just wear rubber shoes over it so that bumps you up 1 more inch.

Extra: you can add another pad for the underneath of your boot about half an inch. It’s hidden but at least it’s another boost

MasterChief7117's long winded explanation in short form: Get used to wearing high heels pumps first:

giphy.gif
giphy-downsized.gif

and I'm just joking w/ you MasterChief7117

This was more or less what I was looking, for the difference in the height between the bottom of my toe and the heel I was looking at a 2.5-3 inch difference, while the total height of the heel boosted off the ground be approx. 4.5-5.5 inches. That would boost me to being nearly 6' 6" without the helmet, while the helmet, would give another inch or two above my skull. I'm planning on just awkwardly walking around my empty campus with the heels on to get used to them first, to where I can walk around comfortable with my eyes closed.

hon

honestly this is the answer you’re really looking for :lol:

also just to add, I build my own platforms with eva foam. Don’t get restricted to just buying boots out there!
That was Ashurra was suggesting, is making eva platforms, do you have any guides or certain tips/techniques that you know how to use to make it still comfortable and safe?

making eva platforms, do you have any guides or certain tips/techniques that you know how to use to make it still comfortable and safe?
I'd say use a dense rubber base, or at the very least, wood, so the bottom is solid - with grip would be even better. I'd also insert wooden supports in the heels that go through the EVA foam.

That was Ashurra was suggesting, is making eva platforms, do you have any guides or certain tips/techniques that you know how to use to make it still comfortable and safe?
I use really dense eva foam, same stuff you’d use on gym floors. As suggested earlier, you can add wood or something hard to place under the base. I just make sure the eva platform is either strapped securely or glued on well with the shoes. Then maybe you can just wear a sturdy boot on top of the platform that so you have some extra ankle support. I have plans on making an ankle brace but I haven’t done that, so maybe you can consider that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back