Spartan Iii Spi Armor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparton 110

Jr Member
Hello All,

To keep things short, ive always been fascinated by the book 'Ghost of Onyx' by Eric Nylund. (if you haven't read it please pick up a copy and enjoy!) Anywho, ive become very fond of the SPARTAN III's SPI armor and just want to know what you guys/gals think of the armor. I know a few people on the 405th have mixed opinions on the armor, but haven't have a chance untill now to express there views, so please don't hesitate to waffle on!

Also if anyone has any photos,Pictures, Art, PDO/PDF files etc please dont hesitate to wack em in anywhere.
ive been thinking for a long time know deciding if my first armor project should be the SPI armor.

enough of me blabbering on so post, post, post away!

SPARTAN110 said:
Hello All,

To keep things short, ive always been fascinated by the book 'Ghost of Onyx' by Eric Nylund. (if you haven't read it please pick up a copy and enjoy!) Anywho, ive become very fond of the SPARTAN III's SPI armor and just want to know what you guys/gals think of the armor. I know a few people on the 405th have mixed opinions on the armor, but haven't have a chance untill now to express there views, so please don't hesitate to waffle on!

Also if anyone has any photos,Pictures, Art, PDO/PDF files etc please dont hesitate to wack em in anywhere.
ive been thinking for a long time know deciding if my first armor project should be the SPI armor.

enough of me blabbering on so post, post, post away!

very old topic mate this has been disccused ALOT plz use the search function
the book is great (got it on audio book format great for buss trip to college

Last edited by a moderator:
adventSpartanMatrix said:
very old topic mate this has been disccused ALOT plz use the search function
the book is great (got it on audio book format great for buss trip to college

Dont worry, i searched around before i made this thread and no other thread discussing the SPI Armor came up. So i suppose this thread is okay?

Well to me the Spartan III's armor is freakin sweet!!! I would make it if they had a pep version or I had enough money to mold it. But to comment on the no energy shield and less dense armor, people like making marine armor and that's no where near as strong as the Spartans. Personal opinion though. Anyway, The Ghosts of Onyx is an amazing book.

randomman said:
My opinion:
SPI sucks.
I suppose the armor might LOOK cool, and when it comes to making prop armor that's what matters I guess, but if you're that into the story you know what I'm talking about.
It's less dense, no energy shields...
I'm sorry, but were I in the heat of battle, I would rather face it with a SPARTAN II than a SPARTAN III.
That's just my opinion.

To comment, they did rely more on stealth to take down their enemies. On that one Operation in the book they had been on that fueling station for about a week making sabotage attacks throughout the station.

IMO, If there were PDO files for it, I'd make the SPI armor in a heart-beat. And since there isn't, looks like I'm making it out of Cardboard :D .

OrrionCarn said:
IMO, If there were PDO files for it, I'd make the SPI armor in a heart-beat. And since there isn't, looks like I'm making it out of Cardboard :D .

i think i might start tomorrow on my armor, when you have any progress photos, please upload

also if you did make some armor what colour what you paint it? Olive green, black or tan . . . . or pink?

randomman said:
It's less dense, no energy shields...
What?

You can't design energy shields. The whole point of this website is LOOKS, not function.

In my opinion, SPI would look awesome.

I too am looking for the Pep files for some SPI. I may just make some custom cardboard ones tho.

P.S. The only thing that made SPI wearers stay alive is that they had poor active camouflage. It blended well with flat surfaces and forest.

SPARTAN110 said:
i think i might start tomorrow on my armor, when you have any progress photos, please upload

also if you did make some armor what colour what you paint it? Olive green, black or tan . . . . or pink?

Olive Green with a mix of Black.

But I was being Sarcastic. I'm making *Hush-Hush* right now. I'll make one after I'm done making *Hush-Hush*. :p

Im my opinion i think creating some SPI armor out of cardboard (resin then bondo) would be quite easy, but all thats stalling me is the straps and the visor/helmet . . .

hlomaster55 said:
What?

You can't design energy shields. The whole point of this website is LOOKS, not function.

In my opinion, SPI would look awesome.

I too am looking for the Pep files for some SPI. I may just make some custom cardboard ones tho.

P.S. The only thing that made SPI wearers stay alive is that they had poor active camouflage. It blended well with flat surfaces and forest.
I eventually deleted my post because I knew this would happen, but just for the record, you didn't read the whole post.

I suppose the armor might LOOK cool, and when it comes to making prop armor that's what matters I guess
Also I know a lot of people seem to be interested in that armor so if you're offering to make it I think a lot of people will be interested.

randomman said:
I eventually deleted my post because I knew this would happen, but just for the record, you didn't read the whole post.

We all say things we don't exactly mean at certain moments. (thank God for the "Edit" button)

Anyway.... Does anyone have some high def pics. Maybe from the Halo art book that recently came out?

Spart3closeup.jpg

I know the quality is poor but it is a scan from the 2008 Halo Calendar. Someplace on the site there is a thread talking about the Halo 3 art book. I looked for the thread but cant seem to find it. If someone could find that thread there are some good scans of the SPI armor there.
Big fan of the Spartan III's Would totally go ape if someone made Pep files for it. (Hint Hint) :)

I recall from Ghosts of Onyx that Doctor Hasley recalled seeing some navy special forces wearing SPI armor as well. It is not just limited to Spartans, because unlike Mjolnir armor, it does not snap an un-reinforced human skeleton just by moving in it.

Mjolnir armor may be unbeatable in straight up combat, but SPI armor is more economical and more situationally useful.

Wow, those are some nice Reference Pictures!

The only problem is that some of the pieces look connected, like the gauntlet and leg pieces. The only way that I could connect them is by using the underarmor trick to make the joints more flexible. Besides that I think that this would be pretty easy to make out of cardboard. (a lot of smooth places.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back