Spartans In 'halo: Reach'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, Arcanine. I mean, if you look at the wall paper, Kat is very obviously made to look feminine, there are slight tweaks to her armor to make it obvious she is female that are not present on Lonewolf's armor. The LT's armor appears to be the same size and shape as Carter and the Sniper's when he gets in the chopper with them. So, why go to all the trouble to make a very obviously female base character model, and then not use it for the LoneWolf if they are supposed to be female. It's the same with DARE. Her armor is modded out to very obviously be female. Bungie seems to have the trend of very bluntly hitting you on the head when it comes to men vs women while in full armor, I don't see why they would drop that when it came to the LT.

Cadet said:
I don't know, Arcanine. I mean, if you look at the wall paper, Kat is very obviously made to look feminine, there are slight tweaks to her armor to make it obvious she is female that are not present on Lonewolf's armor. The LT's armor appears to be the same size and shape as Carter and the Sniper's when he gets in the chopper with them. So, why go to all the trouble to make a very obviously female base character model, and then not use it for the LoneWolf if they are supposed to be female. It's the same with DARE. Her armor is modded out to very obviously be female. Bungie seems to have the trend of very bluntly hitting you on the head when it comes to men vs women while in full armor, I don't see why they would drop that when it came to the LT.

They've also made a point of retaining the anonymity of the main character to an absurd level, as shown with the rookie. I'm guessing we're probably never going to know the gender of our "lone wolf".

Last edited by a moderator:
bobbio555 said:
They've also made a point of retaining the anonymity of the main character to an absurd level, as shown with the rookie. I'm guessing we're probably never going to know the gender of our "lone wolf".

That's what I was thinking, Bungie will probably leave the gender and such up to debate for a while, if not forever. Though if we accept everything as unknown, this thread is pretty pointless by now, considering people are either copypasting from Halopedia/Halo information source, citing knowledge from the books, or speculating.

I really hope they went all out on this game, Bungie's got a pretty high standard to live up to after how much of an improvement Infinity Ward made with MW2, though with the amount of detail they put into the model textures so far, I'd say it won't be a disappointment. At the very least, they learned how make people look like people, and not emotionless chunks of garbage.

Sangheili811 said:
Why are the other helmets "not useful"? Limited field of vision? And what does it's similarity to SPI have to do with it, unless there are in fact S-IIIs on Reach? Just curious.

And Arcanine, you do make some valid points, but I really hope you're wrong. I'm not anti-woman or anything, but they already have one in the squad, two would be a little too far-fetched. Today, I do not believe there is a single woman in Delta, SEALs, Force Recon, SAS, GSG-9, etc. Putting it a little bluntly, women simply do not have the strength or endurance to survive the selection process. And the groups listed above are equivalent (more or less) to ODSTs, and SPARTAN selection is many times more difficult than that of ODSTs. Its neat that there are a couple female SPARTANs, but having two in the same squad just seems a bit wrong to me. Once again, I'm not trying to be sexist, but this is just the way it is in the military (at least in this century).

BTW, for those wondering, Dare was not an actual ODST, she's an ONI spook, the equivalent of a CIA paramilitary.

Your argument is pointless.

We're not talking of a game in 2009.

The Spartans are geneticly enhanced. A women could be as strong as a man. I'm pretty sure they made the squads based on skills and teamwork, not gender.

LastSpartan said:
We're not talking of a game in 2009.

The Spartans are geneticly enhanced. A women could be as strong as a man. I'm pretty sure they made the squads based on skills and teamwork, not gender.

I respectfully disagree. Subjects for the S-II program were selected for genetic markers of physical prowess and intellect. And for a program as selective as the S-II, the overwhelming majority would have to be male to fulfil the former.

But I probably shouldn't have brought it up at all. Sorry.

Sangheili811 said:
I respectfully disagree. Subjects for the S-II program were selected for genetic markers of physical prowess and intellect. And for a program as selective as the S-II, the overwhelming majority would have to be male to fulfil the former.

But I probably shouldn't have brought it up at all. Sorry.

Well I just found this "Team Omega was a splinter-group of the SPARTAN-II Red Team, consisting of six members: four men and two women." On the wikia.

And they're looking at 6yrs old kids. They are looking at their potential. A women can be as strong as a man. Anyway.

Let's change subject.

I'd say that it's unlikely that it's a woman. Sure, there isn't really any proof that it isn't, but if we're to go by past experience with Halo games, then I'm guessing it isn't a woman. And as has already been pointed out, a certain way of walking is about as inconclusive as you can get. I think we should just leave it alone for now, until Bungie gives us some more to work with.

I think that at this point the female vs. male and SII vs. SIII arguments have been pretty much worn out. The only useful direction that I can foresee this thread going in until we get some more info is to an individual analysis of each character, seeing as all prior analysis have been group ones. So, if anyone has any useful ideas regarding a specific member of noble team, by all means, share.

Sangheili811 said:
Why are the other helmets "not useful"? Limited field of vision? And what does it's similarity to SPI have to do with it, unless there are in fact S-IIIs on Reach? Just curious.

And Arcanine, you do make some valid points, but I really hope you're wrong. I'm not anti-woman or anything, but they already have one in the squad, two would be a little too far-fetched. Today, I do not believe there is a single woman in Delta, SEALs, Force Recon, SAS, GSG-9, etc. Putting it a little bluntly, women simply do not have the strength or endurance to survive the selection process. And the groups listed above are equivalent (more or less) to ODSTs, and SPARTAN selection is many times more difficult than that of ODSTs. Its neat that there are a couple female SPARTANs, but having two in the same squad just seems a bit wrong to me. Once again, I'm not trying to be sexist, but this is just the way it is in the military (at least in this century).

BTW, for those wondering, Dare was not an actual ODST, she's an ONI spook, the equivalent of a CIA paramilitary.

So 4 guys an 1 girl is even? Im not getting into this, but why the heck does it matter so much to you that it "has to be a guy" anyway? Judging just by lone wolf's "bulk", broader shoulders, etc. I would say its a guy, but not becuase im here to argue, we'll just wait and see.

bobbio555 said:
I think that at this point the female vs. male and SII vs. SIII arguments have been pretty much worn out. The only useful direction that I can foresee this thread going in until we get some more info is to an individual analysis of each character, seeing as all prior analysis have been group ones. So, if anyone has any useful ideas regarding a specific member of noble team, by all means, share.

Sorry, but screw you and the horse you rode in on. The people on the forums have the right to debate the female vs male and SII vs SIII subject all they want, it's what this thread is for.

Onto the male vs female debate, I think it could go either way, but the fact remains that there are far more male Spartans named than female.

Tango 89er said:
Sorry, but screw you and the horse you rode in on. The people on the forums have the right to debate the female vs male and SII vs SIII subject all they want, it's what this thread is for.

Onto the male vs female debate, I think it could go either way, but the fact remains that there are far more male Spartans named than female.

What I'm saying, is that it's already been debated to death, and until there's new information, then we should focus on other topics. And had you even fully read my post, you would have noticed that your opinion on the male vs female debate had been posted just moments prior. I don't care if you go on debating it, but I think the great minds of the 405th would be more usefully used should we decide to find something new to discuss.

tl;dr version: keep arguing about it, but I don't see any use in it.

Tango 89er said:

Hey guys, keep the hostility to a minimum please. Don't want this thread getting locked up just because some people can't keep their composure.

As for my opinion on the male/female lone wolf debate. I think it could go either way. We simply don't have enough evidence to claim whether it is a male or a female, it's all conjecture and speculation right now. I, honestly, think it's going to be male. I just think it appeals to the Halo fanbase more playing as a male.

To sum up about the Lt.

Issue 1 is rank. Kurt and Fred are the only two [finding sources] Spartans to ever be promoted to officers and John the only one to receive MCPO. This new Lt. in Halo: Reach would contradict the previous statement.

Issue 2 is location. If all the Spartans where in the pelican Bravo 1, how did the six characters in Halo: Reach get separated from the rest of red team. More importantly how did they receive the designation “noble team” as Fred did not make an Nth squad. And if Fred did assign them as “noble team” what was more important than defending the generators, and where was it?

Issue 3 S-III. All remaining S-III were on onyx at the time of reach's fall, and are now inside the shield world. The Lt. should not be a S-III.

Issue 4 vehicles, weapons, and armor. Not even to begin how crazy that is.

Another idea for Skullface...

He could be the Spartan version of the Marine Flamethrower?

flame_concept.jpg

Perhaps he left his flamethrower on the Hornet?? Hahaa

Zendric said:
I added a few more things to my post if you want to look them over.

Another thing, The EVA guy is probably Fred, as one thing that stood out to me in the books is Fred was always playing with his knife, and I think he was the one who loved explosives, but that may be Sam, im not sure.

i thought grace and josh liked explosives, and didnt sam die right after they got thier armor?

Kodorei said:
This is Mjolnir mark 4 armor, same as the one on the cover of "The Cole Protocol".

The blue spartans number actually shows up on the trailer, but as I'm typing this from a bus with my laptop I'm not going to thrue it.

My guess is that the "Sniper" is Linda, as she was the only one (excluding the "main" charecter) whose Spartan-ID was not shown.

There where spartans from the Blue Team and the Red team. We might see more familiar charecters from the Novels.

dude the reach sniper is a dude, you can hear his voice in the trailer.

Spawn Camp3r said:
To sum up about the Lt.

Issue 1 is rank. Kurt and Fred are the only two [finding sources] Spartans to ever be promoted to officers and John the only one to receive MCPO. This new Lt. in Halo: Reach would contradict the previous statement.

Issue 2 is location. If all the Spartans where in the pelican Bravo 1, how did the six characters in Halo: Reach get separated from the rest of red team. More importantly how did they receive the designation "noble team" as Fred did not make an Nth squad. And if Fred did assign them as "noble team" what was more important than defending the generators, and where was it?

Issue 3 S-III. All remaining S-III were on onyx at the time of reach's fall, and are now inside the shield world. The Lt. should not be a S-III.

Issue 4 vehicles, weapons, and armor. Not even to begin how crazy that is.

ima gonna have to agree here also, i was wondering they are wearing mark 4 (IV) armor right? quote halopedia "r new designs and components that were used in developing variants and later versions of the MJOLNIR Armor.[sup][4][/sup] The most notable example of the advanced prototype variant in use is by SPARTAN-II Red Team during the Battle of Arcadia, which was used to test new designs and improvements that would later be incorporated into the MJOLNIR Mark V. It is believed, but unconfirmed that SPARTAN Gray Team may have had additional equipment issued to their armor as part of research and development, however this data has not yet been declassified." this could explain the multiple variations in the spartans armor.

One more thing in the e3 2009 trailer you can hear "our evac position has been over run"this could be the a spartan fraction of red team calling in about their escape being cut off upon return to castle base.

sorry for the double post but i was re watching the trailer and noticed how most of the Spartans seem to know the LT. except the sniper guy, it seems that Kat , and skull face seem to know LT better than Jorge and carter do. this being so could it be possible that LT has some past (i.e. was raised and trained )with Kat and skull face before he/she went to "work" for ONI. so could this make the LT a plausible Grey team member or something similar ?

Also this could point to noble team being a contingent (Spartans from multiple teams) instead of a single team.

Dusty said:
sorry for the double post but i was re watching the trailer and noticed how most of the Spartans seem to know the LT. except the sniper guy, it seems that Kat , and skull face seem to know LT better than Jorge and carter do. this being so could it be possible that LT has some past (i.e. was raised and trained )with Kat and skull face before he/she went to "work" for ONI. so could this make the LT a plausible Grey team member or something similar ?

Also this could point to noble team being a contingent (Spartans from multiple teams) instead of a single team.

Wait...What? I don't remember any talk of the lt. being from ONI. Sure would make sense though.

Off topic: Something interesting...Here it is, Christmas Eve, and we're speculating about characters from a video game... We sure lead interesting lives. >_>

Heres a fresh Idea, Oni Blackops spartans. Could be one of them, seeing as he said he read the parts ONI didn't want him to, could be their black ops missions. There is a short story in Halo:Evolutions, and a comic coming out about that are both about the 4 ONI Spartans.

Wiki article: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Blood_Line

It says they got shot down on a moon, could be a Pegasi moon?

That would explain the Pegasi thing, and the number of spartan problem, this an ONI secret project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back