Spartans In 'halo: Reach'

Status
Not open for further replies.
SpartanPhalanx1 said:
The Halo games tend to break the canon of the books in little ways all the time, so it is still possible that it is a gray team member.

Yeah, but anyone who's read the books might think that's a bit of a severe breach of canon.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpartanPhalanx1 said:
The Halo games tend to break the canon of the books in little ways all the time, so it is still possible that it is a gray team member.

But, in my opinion, just the missing of the few Spartans of Grey team, might have changed the outcome of the battle, they could have held the generators for longer so the gun batteries in space could keep firing, devastating the Covenant fleet.

What im saying is, just a couple Spartans can entirely change a ground battle.

Eh we will see, Bungie has already retconed several things. Notably when some of the Covenant members were first seen. I think it is just small enough of a detail to say "nah Halsey was incorrect" and "FoR was wrong, gray did get recalled."

SpartanPhalanx1 said:
Eh we will see, Bungie has already retconed several things. Notably when some of the Covenant members were first seen. I think it is just small enough of a detail to say "nah Halsey was incorrect" and "FoR was wrong, gray did get recalled."

Well the errors about the first Covenant encounters were mainly overlooks by authors and not Bungie's own will to break canon, so it could be different in this case.

But what im saying is, that fact could have change the war entirely. Going on what the games portray, Spartans aren't extremely powerful, but the cutscenes in Halo wars, those are no exaggeration of power of a Spartan. If youve seen the last few cut scenes in Halo wars, those were highly trained honor guard, just think of what a Shielded Spartan can do to twenty grunts, with Elites.

But at the same time in the books there are instances where Spartans were killed reasonably easily when compared to the cutscenes. I think that particular problem is the least of Bungies worries. Anyways for all I know it could be a brand new Spartan. Just speculating.

Belakor said:
Just an FYI, the HD versions of the vid are up on Bnet now. I'm downloading now and will start screencapping and uploading to Flickr ASAP :)

Great, post the link to the Flickr album and I'll add those HD shots to the OP.

Wait, rewatching the trailer, I realized Bungie might have decided to break canon.

The Sniper Spartan, he said, "You picked a hell of a day to join up" now a spartan cant just "join up" so, he could mean re-link with the Spartans, the Jai theory is starting to get a foot hold.

Zendric said:
Wait, rewatching the trailer, I realized Bungie might have decided to break canon.

The Sniper Spartan, he said, "You picked a hell of a day to join up" now a spartan cant just "join up" so, he could mean re-link with the Spartans, the Jai theory is starting to get a foot hold.

Could be, but I still want to believe that he is a new character entirely.

New idea came up from Bungie.net forums is that the newcomer is Tom-292B from Operation TORPEDO The one of 2 only SPARTAN IIIs to survive it. Seeing as OPERATION TORPEDO was on Pegasi Delta and Jorge says "Didn't realize anyone survived Pegasi Sir?" Which means it could very well mean its Tom.

No. It is not either of the 2 Spartan IIIs. Do you see SPI armor, no, none of them are wearing it, and even if they could wear MJOLNIR armor, it couldn't even be them in the first place. They went to ONYX and stayed there training Gamma company after Op:TORPEDO.

Sorry if Im a bit snippy about that particular area of Reach, on Bnet, people are set in their ways of believing that its the Spartan IIIs, but its not.

SpartanPhalanx1 said:
But at the same time in the books there are instances where Spartans were killed reasonably easily when compared to the cutscenes. I think that particular problem is the least of Bungies worries. Anyways for all I know it could be a brand new Spartan. Just speculating.
I think that this theory has some traction. Hasley herself was not told of even the existance of the Spartan IIIs, and neither were any of the Spartan IIs. The thing about ONI is that they have secrets within secrets, and neither the characters or the readers are necessarily told the truth, or the whole of the truth in any case. Further, Grey Team has always been a world apart from the other Spartans, it would not be surprising to find that they are practically strangers to the other Spartans, seperated by decades of isolation.

SPARTAN-089 said:
New idea came up from Bungie.net forums is that the newcomer is Tom-292B from Operation TORPEDO The one of 2 only SPARTAN IIIs to survive it. Seeing as OPERATION TORPEDO was on Pegasi Delta and Jorge says "Didn't realize anyone survived Pegasi Sir?" Which means it could very well mean its Tom.
I think that seems quite likely. After all, the Spartan IIs were raised together and only ever one generation of them was created. There are no "new guys" in the Spartan IIs, so they only place they could come from are the Spartan IIIs. Still, unless I am misremembering, I thought Tom was present during the battle of Onyx? He would have had to make it off Reach and back to Onyx between the battle of Reach and before the events of 10/20.

Zendric said:
No. It is not either of the 2 Spartan IIIs. Do you see SPI armor, no, none of them are wearing it, and even if they could wear MJOLNIR armor, it couldn't even be them in the first place. They went to ONYX and stayed there training Gamma company after Op:TORPEDO.

Sorry if Im a bit snippy about that particular area of Reach, on Bnet, people are set in their ways of believing that its the Spartan IIIs, but its not.
It is not necessarily the case that the Spartan IIIs cannot wear Mjolnir armor. They may have scaled back enhancements relative to the Spartan IIs, but not necessarily below the threshold that Mjolnir armor requires. The reason why they used SPI armor was due to its inexpense compared to Mjolnir armor (which I recall cost about as much as a small starship per suit.) It was more economical to fit a platoon sized force of Spartans in SPI armor than it was to fit them in Mjolnir armor. Further, the Spartans were outfitted in Mark V armor shortly before the battle of Reach, so they may have had excess suits manufactured for the sake of having spare parts, one of which the protagonist might be wearing.

I am not saying that this theory is correct, just that it should not be discounted too quickly.

This is Mjolnir mark 4 armor, same as the one on the cover of "The Cole Protocol".

The blue spartans number actually shows up on the trailer, but as I'm typing this from a bus with my laptop I'm not going to thrue it.

My guess is that the "Sniper" is Linda, as she was the only one (excluding the "main" charecter) whose Spartan-ID was not shown.

There where spartans from the Blue Team and the Red team. We might see more familiar charecters from the Novels.

I like the one with the modified recon helms - the second spartan we see.

Also, there could well be spartan IIIs on reach as not all the teams were there when Dr Halsey got onto Onyx so some might have been sent off for other things long before then.

A few corrections on previous theories:

1) The sniper is male.

2) There is no Sierra-060. The only female heard is "S-Blue", the Eastern European Kat-320 (seen on her shoulder armour), who is the female Spartan heard on the original reveal trailer. From the subtitles:

"This is Sierra-Three-Two-Zero. Noble Team is airborne and prepped for combat insertion."

3) Jorge-052 does not sound European, and if he is British, it's the worst accent ever. More likely possibility is South African or Australasian, though again, it's a bad accent if it is.

What about H3: ODST's Rookie? Or Buck? Dare? All three of those characters apparently saw action on Reach, and given what little we know of the Rookie himself, it could be very likely that he's the newcomer to Noble Team.

Bungie said Buck served in reach so we'll see him somewhere while we're playing it.

Hopefully we'll get a glimpse of him before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back