Soft Parts Specialy Made Cooling Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
BloodyShadow13 said:
UNSC Leatherneck
No thunder stolen or bubbles burst don't worry. If I may I would like to point out a couple of problems with the Cool Vest.
It has a recharge time of 20 minutes for every 45 minutes of use.
It can only be used for 45 minutes at a time.
These issues limit your wear time to almost once for 45 minutes every hour. At a con you may not be able to find a corner in which to set down your ice filled cooler, remove your helmet and chest plate (minimum some of us may have to remove more), and immerse the cool pack in the ice water for 20 minutes.
The system that I am proposing has a radiator. This means that the limiting factor for the system is going to be batteries. If I use 4 standard 9v batteries I can run the system for 2.2 hours. I can double this by doubling the number of batteries to eight 9v batteries and I could run the system for 4.4 hours. Or I could somehow use 4 D batteries I would be able to use the system for 13.6 hours.
What radiator are you planning in using?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kaya Tetsu
I will either be using this with two silenx fans from the same site, or some materials that I can scrounge from around town.

@ UNSC Leatherneck
I do not know the cooling efficiency of the system yet as it is an entirely custom built system, shirt included. The radiator type that I am looking at is capable of venting at least 700W of energy. I expect this to cool the water/coolant down to slightly under room temperature, like 20C -18C.
Do you think I should use a larger radiator? Maybe two radiators?

Just eyeballing it, that radiator looks like it'd be sufficient for R&D purposes. I'm not a thermodynamicist (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p) so I'm using the "that looks about right" method. What sort of shirt design are you working on. I'd go with a spandex (underarmor-type) shirt that is form-fitting to ensure maximum contact area with the tubes. What tube size were you thinking?

BloodyShadow13 said:
I will be making the shirt circuit out of 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" ID tubing.
The pump circuit will be made out of 1/4" tubing with adaptors on the shirt and quick disconnects between the shirt and the pump/radiator.
Eventualy I want to make two cooling packs: one for my armor and one for wearing around when I go south(I'm Alaskan)

BloodyShadow13 said:
UNSC Leatherneck
The system that I am proposing has a radiator. This means that the limiting factor for the system is going to be batteries. If I use 4 standard 9v batteries I can run the system for 2.2 hours. I can double this by doubling the number of batteries to eight 9v batteries and I could run the system for 4.4 hours. Or I could somehow use 4 D batteries I would be able to use the system for 13.6 hours.

I am a little confused as to your run time estimates...

One 9V rechargable energizer e^2 lithium battery: 9V, 175mAh. Thats 9V at 1A for .175 hours

The Items listed
1X Pump running voltage 8V-13.2V Current 0.5A
2X Fans running voltage 8V-14V current 0.2A

Assuming that you want these items to run in the higher range you are looking at around 13V each.
So thats 13V @ .9A if wired in parallel.

With the above mentioned batteries:

A 2 x 2 matrix (2 series sets in parallel) would give you 18V at 1A for 0.35 hours

A 2 x 3 matrix (3 series sets in parallel) would give you 18V at 1A for 0.525hours

A 2 x 4 matrix (4 series sets in parallel) would give you 18V at 1A for 0.7hours

A 2 x 5 matrix (5 series sets in parallel) would give you 18V at 1A for 0.875hours

A 2 x 6 matrix (6 series sets in parallel) would give you 18V at 1A for 1.05hours

So with 12 9V batteries you can in theory power this setup for just over 1 hour.

Please, if there is an error in my math or theory let me know, this is not my strongest subject.

This all sounds so complicated, but an idea just came to my mind. Right, when you're body starts to heat up under your clothes, maybe after playing sports, when a slight breeze passes over your skin, it cools you down quite quick. sooo....

What if someone makes a small fan, and funnel the wind through one continueous hose which has a plugged end, this hose will then go all over the suit and it'll have holes on which the air will go out off, cooling the body. One fan can only cool maybe the torso, depends on how powerful the motor is. but four of these set ups can cool the whole body fairly well I think. But for this to work more effectively, the air will have to contact skin directly, it'll be uncomfortable and quite noisy...

BUT, it's doable, and easier to make??

any opinions?

Sorry if it's out of topic....

I found this while researching digitigrade stilts. He mentions that the vest costs about $250 dollars, but maybe it will give you guys some design ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back