Soft Parts Specialy Made Cooling Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
You may not remember me but some time ago I was working on some armor here. I am still working on the armor, but I came up with a new project:
To create a cooling system that will fit under my armor.
What I did, was I cut up one of those super soakers with the backpack to get the bladder out of it. I then got some tubing from Home Depot and connected the two ends of the bladder. For the fill spout, I used a garden hose connector with a bolt screwed through the end to seal it. What I came up with is a length of tubing, joined in a loop, with a blader hooked in the middle.
The one thing I do not have however is a pump. I tried for the longest time to figure out a simple way to use the natural motions of the body to provide the pump mechanism. Eventualy I gave up on that. Now I am just looking for a way to move the water around my body by any means practical. The system needs to run on 18V or less and still circulate the water at a reasonable speed. So far the only thing I have found is the WPX-1 from this site.

This is a plea for any kind of help I can get in finding a small efficient pump.
Help me Obi Wan Ken-Whops wrong forum, sorry.
Any help would be apreciated.

Edit:
Just found this. a bit pricey but exactly what i am looking for.

actually now that u mention i was actually thinking of creating a rehidration pack for when :p im out and about in the bush in the mc suit or the other projects im making but yeh id realy like to see hows urs will turn out mine still in the concept pages nnnnn uh yeh so good luck n im hopeing for some pictures

p.s plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Getting the water to move around within the suit is one thing. Have you thought about how you're going to keep the water itself cool? If you don't then the water will just heat up from your body heat and you'd be even hotter. In order to keep the water, you're going to need some sort of heat exchanger. Any thoughts on that? If so, I'd be willing to explore this option as I'm planning on making an ODST suit to try out in paintball, and I don't want to overheat in all that black armor.

well i think you may be able to create a pumping system by making pumps out of pbc pipe and use the pump on the leggs of the suit so that when you walk the pumps will pump. im thinking like possably doing some thing like this to my armor but for heating and air filtration. hope you can figure this cooling stuff out cause ill be looking foward to the results/ blueprints.

Found this link. Only problem is that it's $3000! I'm kind of wondering what the guy in the picture is thinking of to be making such an odd expression. "Man, this suit is cold!"

EOD Cooling Suit

This could be a good research starting point.

Thanks for the help so far!

@delta38
I am sorry, I do not have any pictures. My camera is currently being schizophrenic. I will post pictures as soon as I am able.

@Kaya Tetsu
This is pretty much exactly what I am going for. It just needs the cooler to be smaller.

@carpathiavh99
Remember that if the outside temperature is greater than the interior temperature, using black will cool the interior faster. To cool the water, I will be using the old fashioned method of creating cool water: ice. To raise the temperature of a 1 liter of water by 60C degrees, requires 60 Calories (6000calories or 250800J) of thermal energy. I may later use dry ice.

I dont have 3000 dollars...
Thanks for the link though

@GUNNEY SGT bob
I originaly thought about this but I determined that the amount of water moved per compression cycle is not enough.

It was a suggestion for a starting point.

Start looking around at how CPU and racing water-cooling systems are built it will give you an idea of what you need d to do.

EDIT:

Basically you want a a cheaper and/or DIY version of this:
http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-self-contained.html

You could probably make your own cool shirt....IDK. I'll keep looking for more stuff, cus I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't come up with much.

EDIT 2:

So a bilge pump from walmart, some tubing, connectors, and clamps, a generic version of an under armor shirt (or other tight fitting garment), fabrics scraps, a small cooler or two...some caulk to help seal things up....what else...and how would we put it together?

Bad news!
I had to scrap the original system because the bladder from the super soaker leaked. It was one of these.
On the plus side this made me have to redo the entire system. I was originaly going to make the shirt circuit out of 1/4" ID hose. This will not work as 1/4" is too large. So I will be making the shirt circuit out of 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" ID tubing. I have found a pump that should work: a Danger Den DD-CPX1 from here. I realized that I will need a radiator so I am going to use one of these with two of these. To vent the air I will be using a cardboard duct out of the rear vents of the backpack. I will also be using a fill tube teed off of the tube going from the radiator to the shirt. It should look like this:
pumpcircuitwithoutshirt.jpg

I may have images of the shirt up soon.

@Kaya Tetsu
I think a bilge pump might be too powerful.

Kaya Tetsu said:
It was a suggestion for a starting point.

Start looking around at how CPU and racing water-cooling systems are built it will give you an idea of what you need d to do.

EDIT:

Basically you want a a cheaper and/or DIY version of this:
http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-self-contained.html

You could probably make your own cool shirt....IDK. I'll keep looking for more stuff, cus I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't come up with much.

EDIT 2:

So a bilge pump from walmart, some tubing, connectors, and clamps, a generic version of an under armor shirt (or other tight fitting garment), fabrics scraps, a small cooler or two...some caulk to help seal things up....what else...and how would we put it together?
nice find. that might be pretty useful for people whos armor is excessively heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds pretty easy to me, all you need is to make on e of the backpack compartments able to store a water tank, a small waterfall pump (or an aquarium pump; either way they are both small & quiet). The other compartment could house the heat exchange and the power supply, the radiator can be just like a car radiator where you use strips of thin copper sheet along copper ice machine tubing to spread and sink the heat. You can add a computer fan to blow the air around the heat sink out the back vent and for good measure you can throw in an ice pack underneath to keep the suit supercool for a few hours.

The other a bit more expensive way is to use the Air Conditioner Torc which goes on the back of your neck and provides 4 hours of cooling by using the natural heat exchange point on the back of your neck. The silver/black one would work really well no matter what armor color scheme you had.

BloodyShadow13 said:
This will not work as 1/4" is too large. So I will be making the shirt circuit out of 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" ID tubing.
Will your pump be compatible with tubing that size? Apart from that this looks to be an excellent project!

@ Twisting_Neather
I modified the pump circuit diagram to make it more clear.
pumpcircuitwithoutshirt-1.jpg

Also cooling shirt.
Shirtcooling.jpg

The green stuff is coolant. I will be using either 1/8" or 1/16" tubing for the shirt. For the pump circuit I will be using 1/4" tubing.

BloodyShadow13 said:
Kaya Tetsu
I think a bilge pump might be too powerful.

The link I posted earlier used a bilge pump,but I suppose another pump would work.

Do you think you could cut down a cooler like the one from the tut I posted earlier? To make it smaller. I was thinking maybe cut out some of it to make it smaller then expoxy the pieces together and use caulk (or something else) on the inside and outside to seal it all up.

Then it would be the right size then it becomes like the one I showed you earlier.

cooler.png

You fill it with ice water attach the shirt and turn it on. Another thing you can do is put on smaller cooler inside one thats bigger by about 2-3 inches and fill the gap with insulating foam. Wala, super insulated cooler. I saw that somewhere when I was looking for a small cooler.

Also may I ask why 1/4 of an inch is too big?

Okay...lets see....

100' (you should only need about 50) 1/8" ID vinyl tubing - about $30
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-305-v...aign=googlebase

tight fitting shirt - $12
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...indingMethod=rr

I'll find more stuff when we know what works and what doesn't...Also are you using vinyl tubing or something else in your shirt?

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but there might be a way to achieve decent cooling without the engineering and fabrication involved with a liquid cooling system. Check out the Cool Vest. They have several models including a concealed version and one designed to work with body armor.

Yeah, I've seen them,but I think I prefer to at least try and do it this way. IDK, maybe I'm just stubborn like that. Plus there's the satisfaction of having built something (that works) with your own hands.

@UNSC Leatherneck
No thunder stolen or bubbles burst don't worry. If I may I would like to point out a couple of problems with the Cool Vest.
It has a recharge time of 20 minutes for every 45 minutes of use.
It can only be used for 45 minutes at a time.
These issues limit your wear time to almost once for 45 minutes every hour. At a con you may not be able to find a corner in which to set down your ice filled cooler, remove your helmet and chest plate (minimum some of us may have to remove more), and immerse the cool pack in the ice water for 20 minutes.
The system that I am proposing has a radiator. This means that the limiting factor for the system is going to be batteries. If I use 4 standard 9v batteries I can run the system for 2.2 hours. I can double this by doubling the number of batteries to eight 9v batteries and I could run the system for 4.4 hours. Or I could somehow use 4 D batteries I would be able to use the system for 13.6 hours.

BloodyShadow13 said:
UNSC Leatherneck
No thunder stolen or bubbles burst don't worry. If I may I would like to point out a couple of problems with the Cool Vest.
It has a recharge time of 20 minutes for every 45 minutes of use.
It can only be used for 45 minutes at a time.
These issues limit your wear time to almost once for 45 minutes every hour. At a con you may not be able to find a corner in which to set down your ice filled cooler, remove your helmet and chest plate (minimum some of us may have to remove more), and immerse the cool pack in the ice water for 20 minutes.
The system that I am proposing has a radiator. This means that the limiting factor for the system is going to be batteries. If I use 4 standard 9v batteries I can run the system for 2.2 hours. I can double this by doubling the number of batteries to eight 9v batteries and I could run the system for 4.4 hours. Or I could somehow use 4 D batteries I would be able to use the system for 13.6 hours.
I checked the specs, and Cool Vest advertises 2.5 hours max, though that does depend on ambient temperature and extertion level, among other factors. Have you run any numbers on what sort of heat transfer you're looking at? (usually measured in BTU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back