Spielberg To Produce Halo: Fall Of Reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the worst possible news imaginable - I would almost rather have Uwe Boll mangle Halo than turn it over to Spielberg. I have basketballs that are edgier than Spielberg - I can't wait to see him replace all the weapons with walkie-talkies... :rolleyes

Peter Cooper said:
On the downside, we could get a GI Joe or a Transformers 2...

Or worse. Indy 4...

I just never liked the idea of a Fall of Reach movie... cause then you'd have to show John's face and frankly, that would ruin the Master Chief for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ewww, DO NOT WANT!

I'm in the crowd that wants the movie to follow Marines or ODSTs, with the Chief and Spartans being peripheral characters. Blomkamp and Jackson showed how well that would work.

I'm not very interested in seeing a movie length version of the Halo wars cut scene where the Spartans are demolishing Elites.

I am wary of the quote from Beattie about his script that says that Halo is the story about, "this child that no one cares about and who cares for no one else, who kind of ends up saving all of humanity."

From the article on IESB: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?optio...roducer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73

Dr. Hasley and CPO Mendez care about the kids a great deal, as due their A.I. tutors, and while many of the regualr MArine and ONI staff are some what mistrust of the Spartans because they are "freaks," I hardly think someone that the military is dumping trillions of dollars into research, augmentation, and equipment, can really be called "uncared about."

And as for the Chief not caring about anyone? He cares a great deal about his fellow Spartans, and almost any other member of the UNSC, which is shown repeatedly throughout the books, and even in the games. And, like almost all the other Spartans, the chief is the consummate soldier, who really believes in the UNSC and fighting for Humanity.

I don't know, Beattie claims in the interviews that he based the script on the book Fall of Reach, but that quote just makes me think he didn't really pick up on the key themes in the book, the brotherhood of the Spartans, and wants to make the Chief out to be some angst-ridden, whinny, reluctant hero, so popular right now in Hollywood, rather than how he is in the games and books.

Could take or leave Spielberg, honestly. I blame Lucas for ruining Indy 4 waaay more than Spielberg.

Loess said:
Ewww, DO NOT WANT!

I'm in the crowd that wants the movie to follow Marines or ODSTs, with the Chief and Spartans being peripheral characters. Blomkamp and Jackson showed how well that would work.

I'm not very interested in seeing a movie length version of the Halo wars cut scene where the Spartans are demolishing Elites.

I wish M$ wouldn't have completely shut the door to Bloomkamp and Jackson, because now they are out of it for good. They were the best thing that could have happened to this project.

macktheknife said:
I wish M$ wouldn't have completely shut the door to Bloomkamp and Jackson, because now they are out of it for good. They were the best thing that could have happened to this project.

Not true. They've still got me.

Hey, Stephen - call me!

this is definitely bad news but if you all remember that 'saving private ryan' was made by speilberg and that was an absolutely amazing movie, although maybe not too close to what the halo movie should be but still amazing. i can't believe that blomkamp is being shut out, from what i'v seen he's a really good director who should be making the halo movie.

paradoxdj said:
this is definitely bad news but if you all remember that 'saving private ryan' was made by speilberg and that was an absolutely amazing movie, although maybe not too close to what the halo movie should be but still amazing. i can't believe that blomkamp is being shut out, from what i'v seen he's a really good director who should be making the halo movie.

Beattie didn't write Saving Private Ryan, and Spielberg would likely not be directing Halo. The gritty Blomkamp Halo is not what we will see from these two in unison. Especially after that dire concept art...

I have already lost most of my respect for Hollywood and the crap that seems to crawl out lately, but if they screw this up, I will have lost it all. The reason I felt safe with Peter Jackson and his crew doing it is mainly because they make what they WANT to make, not what Hollywood wants or what is considered "popular"; and WETA already did an amazing job with the film shorts and whatnot.

In my opinion, I say its a great idea. If there is one man that could pull off a job like this, I would say Spielberg. He has many great movies in the past and I dont think this will disappoint. He has directed many great films before like Jurassic Park, the ORIGINAL Indiana Jones, ET, Schindler's List and Jaws (Ima huge shark fan :D)

Cadet said:
I am wary of the quote from Beattie about his script that says that Halo is the story about, "this child that no one cares about and who cares for no one else, who kind of ends up saving all of humanity."

From the article on IESB: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?optio...roducer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73

Dr. Hasley and CPO Mendez care about the kids a great deal, as due their A.I. tutors, and while many of the regualr MArine and ONI staff are some what mistrust of the Spartans because they are "freaks," I hardly think someone that the military is dumping trillions of dollars into research, augmentation, and equipment, can really be called "uncared about."

And as for the Chief not caring about anyone? He cares a great deal about his fellow Spartans, and almost any other member of the UNSC, which is shown repeatedly throughout the books, and even in the games. And, like almost all the other Spartans, the chief is the consummate soldier, who really believes in the UNSC and fighting for Humanity.

I don't know, Beattie claims in the interviews that he based the script on the book Fall of Reach, but that quote just makes me think he didn't really pick up on the key themes in the book, the brotherhood of the Spartans, and wants to make the Chief out to be some angst-ridden, whinny, reluctant hero, so popular right now in Hollywood, rather than how he is in the games and books.

Could take or leave Spielberg, honestly. I blame Lucas for ruining Indy 4 waaay more than Spielberg.

HAHA I couldnt agree with you more. George Lucas has a knack for killing his movies. Like Indiana Jones and Star wars...

Harris007 said:
In my opinion, I say its a great idea. If there is one man that could pull off a job like this, I would say Spielberg. He has many great movies in the past and I dont think this will disappoint. He has directed many great films before like Jurassic Park, the ORIGINAL Indiana Jones, ET, Schindler's List and Jaws (Ima huge shark fan :D )

Look at the dates on the movies you included:

Jaws - 1975

IJ - 1981

ET - 1982

JP - 1993

Schindlers List - 1993

Even if you look at his whole filmography, he just doesn't make movies like he used to. I'll give props to the man - he has made some truly amazing and impactful films over the years, I just think that his best films are well behind him. Even at his very best, I'm not sure that this is even a genre he could tackle with any conviction. I just don't think that he could put together something that actual die-hard Halo fans would enjoy - especially if he "adapts" it from a storyline already accepted as canon. It will end up as a non-canon, watered down piece of "family-friendly", PG rated, feel good pablum designed to maximize the box office gross...

I'd love to be wrong (boy, would I love to be wrong), I just don't think I am... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back