Spot Putty Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

musashi076

Hi! Just new here. Currently doing a Zero Helmet from Code Geass. As of now im having problems on imperfections of the helmet after applying and sanding body filler and coating with primer. Since my "third world" country can't supply things such as spot and glazing putty on automotive and hardware stores, I tried tamiya putty white for it but it cracks after priming. I can't think of alternatives besides covering it again with small amounts of body filler.

Can I use wood filler? or other tamiya putty like polyester or epoxy?

What has personally worked for me, was like you said mixing up a small amount of bondo (body filler), then mixing in some nail polish remover. It thins out the putty enough to a more liquid like state instead of a putty consistency, of course depending on how much you add. It hasnt affected how the bondo cures for me. However, your results could be different because its possible that every body filler could be different, so i would suggest doing a small batch first with the nail polish remover mixture.

If you cant find nail polish remover, acetone is the another name for it.

I very often add resin to body filler, even a small bit, it kinda thins it out a bit and makes it easier for me to work with body filler.

- Palmer

I very often add resin to body filler, even a small bit, it kinda thins it out a bit and makes it easier for me to work with body filler.

- Palmer
While that seems like a good idea, If he can't get spot putty, I doubt that he can get resin. I feel like Dat1Darkrai's suggestion would be more do-able.

- Palmer
So its like rondo but less of the liquid consistency? since Rondo is mixed Body Filler/ Bondo, Resin and hardener.

Yeah, I have resin with the catalyst and also hard to find here, I already rondo-ed the helmet on the inside so its stable.

Yeah. Rondo is most commonly 50:50 resin and body filler.
However, you can mix those at what amount you want, like do it very fluid to cover the helmet inside, or just add a little bit of resin to thin out the body filler.
May I ask where are you located?
Spot putty is hard to find here too, so I use resin and body filler alone.

- Palmer

Philippines to be exact. Only one known shop here is selling things like fiberglass and resin, hardware stores here dont even know what are those -_-

I'll try to do the nail polish remover and body filler soon, kinda humid here nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back