Srs99D-S2 Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi Ranger

Member DIN
S777
Halo 3 Sniper Rifle

I built my Sniper Rifle with help from two sets of schematics: Spartan II and WoF. Unfortunately, some measurements did not match up (mostly with the total overall length), so I had to make several of my own calculations. Using screen shots, figures, the various listed lengths, full-scale schematics printed out, and scaled-schematics printed out, I decided on an overall length of approximately 62". Now that I type this, I realize that I have not actually measured the whole thing after I finished. I also trimmed some length off due to feasibility while costuming.

Anyway.........

Nothing was lathed, as I do not have a lathe, and could not find anyone willing to help me out on a few simple parts. So, some parts are store-bought and then modified. I bought my jigsaw specifically for this project, and it was extremely useful.

The core is a pine sandwiched between 2 layers of mdf. I had to use mdf as I couldn't find pine in the thickness I needed. Detail panels are mixture of 1mm styrene and 3mm sintra.

I designed and built the rifle to be taken down into a couple base parts: main body and the barrel.

As of this posting, I just have a few more small details to add on, and then another coat of paint, and then maybe some weathering.

I was not able to get very many build shots (too busy building), but here are the few I have.

NOTE: While uploading these photos, I realized that I don't have any after I bent the bipods (to be more accurate).

IMAG0029_%28800%29.jpg

IMG_1060_%28800%29.jpg

IMG_1059_%28800%29.jpg
IMG_1062_%28800%29.jpg

IMG_1087_%28cropped_800%29.jpg

IMG_1088_%28800%29.jpg

IMG_1089_%28cropped_800%29.jpg

IMG_1090_%28cropped_231%29.jpg

IMG_1127_%281280x960%29.jpg

IMG_1145_%28960h%29.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/jedispartan1138/unsc-sniper-rifle-halo-3

It looks great man! The rifle reminds me a lot of the Halo 2 sniper for some reason, maybe it's the paint scheme... :pBut regardless, it looks like it came together flawlessly.

I hope to get the remaining details finished up this week. After that, I will take and upload close-up shots.

I am also stuck on finding a suitable carry case for the rifle. Actual gun cases that are large enough, are out of the price range I set for a case. I plan on making a trip to Walmart and Canadian Tire to find some sort of plastic storage container that I can modify.

As with nearly all props I build, I believe in at least a small amount of customization; I never make a claim of "exact replica". Hence, some of you may notice slight differences between mine, and what is seen in-game. For starters, the paint job. In-game, it has at least a 2-tone grey/silver paint job. Mine will be mostly matt black; this is largely due to initial time-constraints I was under when I had to paint it. Other details are missing, due to lack of proper tools to do the job needed. Also, the bipod is not quite right. But definitely good enough for now.

The colour may be reminiscent of the Halo 2 sniper, but the build/design.construction is most DEFINITELY Halo 3.

Anyway, I am VERY please with how it has turned out.

In the future, I would love to add a working target lcd screen with camera input. If anyone has thoughts/recommendations on this, please contact me or post here.

Anyway, if you have questions, please post!

Compliments are welcome too! ;) ;) :p

Sorry for the lack of recent updates everyone. I have been adding and tweaking final bits and pieces for this build variant. All I have left planned now is puttying/final sanding, then final paint and weathering. Unfortunately, I don't have enough putty left to finish this week. Here are a few pics of the current (upgrade) status.

gallery_10865_2270_98583.jpg

gallery_10865_2270_220431.jpg

gallery_10865_2270_73572.jpg

gallery_10865_2270_23864.jpg

Well, since the forum move (and during) I have pretty much finished this stage of my sniper rifle. Pretty much just a potential expensive scope upgrade left. Here is a teaser pic, with additional pics on my simple (but free!) google site listed in my signature.

IMG_1127_%281280x960%29.jpg

IMG_1127_1280x960.jpg
IMG_1127_1280x960.jpg

There is one thing I am thinking about adding, but I wanted to get a feel for what other people had done regarding this.

Has anyone mounted a shoulder strap to their sniper rifle? If so, where did you attach the straps?

You just necromanced a thread nearly 2 years old.

Oops, my bad, I didn't realize until after how very taboooooo that is, a thousand apologies........ Oh, and by the way, why hasn't this guy's post been moved to the Elite section, it looks to me like he's made one of the best Halo 3 sniper rifles in existence, and it's still in the Noob forum??

Outstanding job man, I am also trying to replicate this weapon right now, it is not easy. Thank you for the inspiration.

Thank you for the compliment! And good luck with your own build!

Oh, and thanks for the "Elite Section" vote!

Thank you for the compliment! And good luck with your own build!

Oh, and thanks for the "Elite Section" vote!

Anytime about the vote! I have a couple questions though: 1. Why don't you update your first post to update your pics so we all can see them? 2. Where exactly did you buy that awesome barrel with the grooves in it? I know you mentioned it was a "fancy" curtain rod or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back