I'm new to cosplay and am making this as a ask for help.

halo fan

hello iv been making custom painted halo figures and have been doing good at it and I'm making this post because I'm celebrating by making myself a full set of amor+other but I'm having trouble finding foam pallets and hardstruck to find any descriptive ways to make the visor tint if you or anyone you know has suggestions id
love to here it and any progress will be posted here thank you.
I now have the supply to make the stuff I just need foam patterns for a sentinel beam, sap sec sholder, tyro helmet and a mk7 core if you have them or know someone who does pleas comment the link in the chat
update if you want to see my progres click this link halo-infinite-hybrid-core-armor-progress-enjoy.54115
does anyone know how to make the visor cracked looking
slight update I found out that I can't use any printers so I don't have any use for foam templates
well I'm needing help with the under suit, I only have access to sowing motion I need help with deciding fabrics if anyone has an idea I would apretieat it does anyone know how to make it cracked

Last edited:
I can't help you with foam but the first real question for foam is where do you live? We have a lot of crafters in diff parts of the US, Canada, and Australia (and a lot of other countries) all of which have different sources for supplies. We may be better able to help you procure foam if we knew where you lived (generally speaking -we don't need your street address).

For visors, dont be discouraged bc that's usually one of the hardest parts of a build. There are a few options for purchasing visors from Etsy or similar websites and there are various ways of making them. Again, we need more information. What is your budget? how important is it to you to make it yourself? What suit/helmet are you doing? There are a few people here who have made their own visors through various means and they generally post about it in their build threads. It can require doing a fair amount of digging.
I made my own ODST visor out of some stiff plastic, and some window tint. It took a lot of tries but I ended up with something passable. It's nothing compared to a vacu-formed visor tho. I would recommend sifting through some build threads and see if you can find where anyone talks about their visors. There also may be some visor info in the tutorial index (not sure tho, it's been a while since I looked through it myself). Also, you can just YouTube "cosplay helmet visor" and see what comes up.

I hope this helps. Also i haven't looked yet, but if you don't have a build thread you should make one! We always love to see what people are working on!

Hi Halo Fan! Take a look at this guide here written by some of our members to get an idea on where to get foam, as well as how to get started with it.

The foam guide is great. If you're already trying to plan ahead like the visor and electronics, then you can check out the tutorial index to get some ideas. While we don't have a thread yet on dying visors, there are some common methods people have used in our tutorial section. There are also visor dying videos out there from other cosplayers. You might need to hit youtube for that for now.

Depending on what tools you have access to will determine how you can make your visor. If you want to go with a basic route you can use clear sheets of plastic and window tint to make a custom visor for example. Like the lovely gents above me have already shared, you can find how to do this on the tutorial index. I'd be happy to answer any more question you may have

To make a tinted/mirrored visor you need a sheet of plastic, usually the thin or hard ones. You can mirror one by lightly spraying mirror chrome spray on the inside. You can also use a hexagon or shape to make a hexagon visor.

I stand corrected. N8TEBB just added a tut on tinting and chroming. :)

I can't help you with foam but the first real question for foam is where do you live? We have a lot of crafters in diff parts of the US, Canada, and Australia (and a lot of other countries) all of which have different sources for supplies. We may be better able to help you procure foam if we knew where you lived (generally speaking -we don't need your street address).

For visors, dont be discouraged bc that's usually one of the hardest parts of a build. There are a few options for purchasing visors from Etsy or similar websites and there are various ways of making them. Again, we need more information. What is your budget? how important is it to you to make it yourself? What suit/helmet are you doing? There are a few people here who have made their own visors through various means and they generally post about it in their build threads. It can require doing a fair amount of digging.
I made my own ODST visor out of some stiff plastic, and some window tint. It took a lot of tries but I ended up with something passable. It's nothing compared to a vacu-formed visor tho. I would recommend sifting through some build threads and see if you can find where anyone talks about their visors. There also may be some visor info in the tutorial index (not sure tho, it's been a while since I looked through it myself). Also, you can just YouTube "cosplay helmet visor" and see what comes up.

I hope this helps. Also i haven't looked yet, but if you don't have a build thread you should make one! We always love to see what people are working on!
thanks for the feedback I was going to make a hi breed core tiro helmet and I'm from Florida

Depending on what tools you have access to will determine how you can make your visor. If you want to go with a basic route you can use clear sheets of plastic and window tint to make a custom visor for example. Like the lovely gents above me have already shared, you can find how to do this on the tutorial index. I'd be happy to answer any more question you may have
my current roster of tools is none I'm new so I'm takeing advice and tips from the community before I make tool perches

Hi Halo Fan! Take a look at this guide here written by some of our members to get an idea on where to get foam, as well as how to get started with it.

thanks what about the visor that's the main ishu I have

Well even with no tools you have a few options. You can purchase a motorcycle visor or similar visor and put that in your helmet. The other option that would give you a bit more flexibility is to use clear sheets of plastic and window tint. Great tutorial here Tutorial: ODST Visors (and other useful info)

What is your budget? how important is it to you to make it yourself? What suit/helmet are you doing?
We might be able to give you some more helpful information if you can answer these questions. This will affect your visor building strategy quite a bit. Overall, FalseShepherd 's advice in the first reply is quite helpful.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback I was going to make a hi breed core tiro helmet and I'm from Florida

I used to live in Georgia and visited FL on a couple occasions. Last time I stopped in Jacksonville's Hobby Lobby they were carrying rolls of HD Foam, which I can personally attest to being great to work with. As far as tools, good utility knives and Exacto knives are a must. Lots of extra blades or a good sharpener, foam kills blade edges fast. For glue, I used Barge cement and it worked really well but there's others you can use.

For the visor your best bet is going to be buying one pre-made. If that's not an option you can check out how WhenInMaine did his here: My HD Modular ODST Build. (3D printing/Sewing/CAD). Similar to vacuforming but without the vacuum so it might be a better option. I got myself a small 12x12 vacuum machine off Etsy for a pretty good price but you can also look into making your own, they're not too complicated to build. From what I've seen, vacuforming is going to give you arguably the best quality visor but you'll need some tools for it. I've also seen folks glue pieces of acrylic together and bend it into shape with a heat gun, so there's a couple different methods. Really just depends on how complicated the visor is. I'm doing an ODST and the visor is pretty big and has some weird curves so I went the vacuform route.

I used to live in Georgia and visited FL on a couple occasions. Last time I stopped in Jacksonville's Hobby Lobby they were carrying rolls of HD Foam, which I can personally attest to being great to work with. As far as tools, good utility knives and Exacto knives are a must. Lots of extra blades or a good sharpener, foam kills blade edges fast. For glue, I used Barge cement and it worked really well but there's others you can use.

For the visor your best bet is going to be buying one pre-made. If that's not an option you can check out how WhenInMaine did his here: My HD Modular ODST Build. (3D printing/Sewing/CAD). Similar to vacuforming but without the vacuum so it might be a better option. I got myself a small 12x12 vacuum machine off Etsy for a pretty good price but you can also look into making your own, they're not too complicated to build. From what I've seen, vacuforming is going to give you arguably the best quality visor but you'll need some tools for it. I've also seen folks glue pieces of acrylic together and bend it into shape with a heat gun, so there's a couple different methods. Really just depends on how complicated the visor is. I'm doing an ODST and the visor is pretty big and has some weird curves so I went the vacuform route.
thank you, the more options I have the better I can do with price to product how much is what you saw if you don't mind me asking

thank you, the more options I have the better I can do with price to product how much is what you saw if you don't mind me asking

I got the 12x12, but you might not need that large if your visor isn't that big. I haven't used it yet but will be making my first attempt in the next few days. Quality is good and no complaints with it, though I'm sure you can find a DIY kit for less and buy the materials yourself from a hardware store. The iDye Poly I got off of Amazon for cheap, I think it was maybe 10 bucks but probably less than that depending on shipping.

I got the 12x12, but you might not need that large if your visor isn't that big. I haven't used it yet but will be making my first attempt in the next few days. Quality is good and no complaints with it, though I'm sure you can find a DIY kit for less and buy the materials yourself from a hardware store. The iDye Poly I got off of Amazon for cheap, I think it was maybe 10 bucks but probably less than that depending on shipping.
thanks my hemet will have a small visor indeed

so I'm doing window tint for the visor I think I'm going to do a dmr+railgun for the loadout and custom left wrist and torso mkVII core sap\sec and odst shoulder I especially find troubles finding a tyro foam template

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back