Star craft marine ( picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can use rondo, but keep in mind two things about traditional rondo though. 1) its kinda heavy. Not a lot heavier, but its got a decent weight to it. 2) its kinda fragle. I know people on the forums who have dropped pieces form a shoulders height or so and have it shatter. What you can do though is use Bondo glass instead of Bondo bodyfiller. Essentially what it is is Bondo mixed with fiber glass, so you get some of the ease of regular rondo, with the the hardness of fiberglass (not as hard, but harder than plain rondo).

Yes you can use rondo, but keep in mind two things about traditional rondo though. 1) its kinda heavy. Not a lot heavier, but its got a decent weight to it. 2) its kinda fragle. I know people on the forums who have dropped pieces form a shoulders height or so and have it shatter. What you can do though is use Bondo glass instead of Bondo bodyfiller. Essentially what it is is Bondo mixed with fiber glass, so you get some of the ease of regular rondo, with the the hardness of fiberglass (not as hard, but harder than plain rondo).

so basically I can mix resin + bondo glass together to make a hybrid rondo thats lighter and stronger?

One thing I would recommend is to be careful on bondo glassing the inside. You have to be sure that it is as smooth as possible when you're bondo glassing the inside otherwise you won't be able to get a level enough surface to sand it down well enough with a block. Learn from my mistake, I have a ton of sanding to do on the inside of my helmet, and with out a dremel or incredibly small sander, its a pain to smooth out the inside.

One thing I would recommend is to be careful on bondo glassing the inside. You have to be sure that it is as smooth as possible when you're bondo glassing the inside otherwise you won't be able to get a level enough surface to sand it down well enough with a block. Learn from my mistake, I have a ton of sanding to do on the inside of my helmet, and with out a dremel or incredibly small sander, its a pain to smooth out the inside.

thanks for the tips. thankfully I got a dremel recently for doing tech work for a guy that owns a workshop so it shouldn't be an issue but I think im going to build 2 parts each using one method and see which I like more..Ill do it on my shoes and see how it goes.

staus update / directors notes:

so far I am almost done with the resin / rondoing of the shoes, both front and back cod and my thigh parts.

I have to say I love rondo and how t adds strength without the cloth needed and on the outside of the creation id mostly auto levels itself which will make for easier sanding.

Many people said about the brittleness of rondo and it being dropped and cracking but I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!

I did up a test dome with resin outside then a light layer of rondo inside followed on top of that with a thin layer of resin then rondo again. this method on it allowed me to not only drop the part but actually pitch it at a brick wall of my house and only have the outside scratched from the brick. Passing that bit of info on to all my fellow armorers at the 405th.. sure it takes a bit of effort but hell its alot better then laying that cloth inside

ok time to call out for help again..

mother natrue still hates me but anyways on one of my shin parts I noticed 2 peny sized areas of the rond that didnt dry... any ideas how to fix this or should it just fix itself over time?

so its update time...

resining is going quite well and almost 75% done with pics on the way but in the time it was taking parts to dry I worked on my nerf weapon for the suite and ended up with a nice outcome.

gun.jpg

keep an eye out cause more to soon to come.. also my deadline is to finish before the end of march for a convention

looking sweet! id love to do this out of foam after I finish my Alphonse build

I dont know how well the chest would turn out in foam but all the more power to ya.. if ya want a copy of my sized pep files let me know and ill give em to you, they are sized to 6ft tall average build

thought I would post a mini teaser as I was a bit bored with mother nature as it once again dropped some snow in buffalo so I cant continue my resining until it stops snowing so my garage can be open.. so I painted one of my shoes up with added battle worn goodness

paintedshoe2.jpg

paintedshoe.jpg

good job so far but i think it will benefit with some more bondo and sanding work.

good job so far but i think it will benefit with some more bondo and sanding work.

from what i think you mean needs more bondo was actuially what i carved into the front silver with a dremil to look like battle worn metal plating.. not shown also is the other side of the boot that i used a corse face paint sponge on the paint while it was drying to look like rusted spots with black undertones. the finished product I hope to achieve is a suit that looks like it had lasted quite afew battles

wow that is nice. I have plan to build this suit too and I like the way you use LD master chief boots for this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back