Started My Rogue 1 Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf96

So Im new

some have read my profile and posts and know how I found you guys and gals, if not find em, Im too old to repost :)

So yesterday the great designer Ithica and I went back and forth on ideas and we have come to a deal that I will be getting a CQB helm cast from him to use as my base design starting point for my Rogue 1 helmet cam system. My avatar is my first prototype if anyone is interested in seeing it. What I hope to do is use the base CQB design and mold in all the camera/lights/monitor directly into the helmet for a much smoother and hopefully awesome looking helmet cam system. I have a lot of time on my hands being medically retired so who knows how long this will take, but since Im a noob I believe this is where I will be posting all my updates and videos on progress.

So wish me luck and I want to thank Ithica/Jjack/Soaring Hammer for the time they put into designing this awesome looking CQB helmet.

Received my cast so off to work I go, any input or ideas are more than welcome.

I look forward to input from all of you on ideas to make this one damn awesome helmet cam system.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9-CZjnf0o[/media]

Wolf Out

Wow. I wish you good luck man...

If this turns out right its gonna be sweeeeet. w00t FTW

I'll be checking this thread from time to time cuz its a really interesting idea!

Welcome to the site Wolf. Glad to have you. One of our rules though, is you can't make any placeholder threads. I'm going to lock this thread until you get your helmet project started.

we are trying to work a camera into our ODST gear. i picked up a Tony Hawk Helmet Cam from toys r us for 20 bucks. you can find the specific dimensions, resolution, yadda yadda yadda online. we might have to take out some of the body to get it to work, but assuming we DO solve the size / shape issue it will work like a charm. its very simple to operate and can run of any SD card up to 1 gig, which are easily switched out. seeing as how one of those cards was around 2 dollars and takes up almost no space, i figured i could just get a handful, shoot a bunch of material, and sort it out later.

Sounds like you have a good plan. If you look at my prototype 1 helmet, Im basically designing a whole new helmet cam. The CQB was just the best design for me to work from for field of view and workable angles to take the cams and lights from my original prototype and build them into the CQB. Yesterday I got alot of work done, cutting and actually building up the side cams, front IR cam and cut my location for my rear cam.

All of my cams will be wired to a DVR system in a backpack where all my power sources will also be. This will basically be a night ops camera system where the wearer can see in complete darkness, and if I can figure out a good LCD system down the line, will be able to have both front and rear views. The DVR will be network capable, so a wireless set up can be used to transmit all camera sources back to a mobile studio Im also building.

For basic, just having fun, camera set ups, there are so many helmet cams, or even other cam systems with pocket DVR's out there. Would be easy to build them into ANY of the Halo helms as the look and design of them is to give the appearance they have these cams. If you need any help let me know.

Hopefully will be uploading a second vid today of what work Ive done. This is where Id like input as Im actually designing all the cam/light locations, so after I post it ( Ill do some pics first I think ) any feedback would be great. Does anyone know, do i just add those to my original first post, or just keep going with replies to the first post?

Wolf Out

P.S. Love the ghostbusters reference in your sig lol. One of MY purposes for the helmet cam system is to start a mini series called Rogue Wolf Studio presents Cemetery Gates. Just my son and I going around to different cemeteries and video taping some fun stuff. The original idea of the Rogue 1 system came from watching ghost hunter type shows and telling myself, why the hell are they always filming themselves instead of what they see. They go OH MY GOD< DID YOU SEE THAT, and of course, we didnt because the camera was on them. So I wanted a system that would ALWAYS be recording all fields, except side views.

Goosebot 5000 said:
we are trying to work a camera into our ODST gear. i picked up a Tony Hawk Helmet Cam from toys r us for 20 bucks. you can find the specific dimensions, resolution, yadda yadda yadda online. we might have to take out some of the body to get it to work, but assuming we DO solve the size / shape issue it will work like a charm. its very simple to operate and can run of any SD card up to 1 gig, which are easily switched out. seeing as how one of those cards was around 2 dollars and takes up almost no space, i figured i could just get a handful, shoot a bunch of material, and sort it out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
First work up pictures to let everyone that is interested know where Im at.

Ive included a concept design of what Im hoping for, front view to show the bullet cam housings and top IR cam housing spot. You can also see how I built cutaways on the sides for adjustments of the 2 bullet cams. Also I decided to build the rear cam housing inside the helmet to allow a low profile look to it and the build up on the top for where other LED/IR lights will be placed. This area will also have a removable top as to allow access to these lights.

Let me know what you think so far and any ideas.

Thanks

gallery_14867_1240_39136.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_318793.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_170457.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_36602.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_370792.jpg

Wolf Out

ghostbusters is my first love!

IMG_0220.jpg

i like how youre changing the actual body to incorporate the cams, instead of trying to force fit everything in to the original design. same thing with the backpack and power sources. i think thats where a lot of people go off course when trying to get something like this accomplished. they dont understand that there are far more bulky components that they didnt plan for.

Update pictures as of Aug 1st, 2009

Have gone as far as I think I can without messing up the clay, so will be working with this design to recast and make a mold of what I have so far. Then go from there again. Everything is rough right now, just going through things in my head on what I want the system to do and look like. Im trying to think of ideas for redesigning the upper/side/back areas, so any ideas anyone has are all welcome.

gallery_14867_1240_414555.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_254308.jpg

Wolf Out

Ok

so finally got my smooth-on supplies and fiber glassing items so yesterday decided to go ahead and see if I ordered enough. This is just a middle cast as I wanted to do away with a lot of the clay areas so it would be easier to look at the design and see where to go from here.

So Ill post a picture here of the cast covered in Dragonskin. Now for my purposes I believe I may have gotten it covered enough, we shall see after the final is done, but I ordered 2 trial dragonskin Q packages and JUST had enough I think to do around 2 coats. Ill have to, down the line, order some actual keys or maybe see if I can buy some from someone for my final cast as I had to waste a bunch of dragonskin to do a few areas. I wasnt able to key it up like most of the tutorials but again, since this is only a cast to get me forward some, Im not too worried right now. For those of you that decide to make your own design like myself, we will see how all the cutbacks ( for lights and cameras ) actually turn out. I will start my fiber glassing today so hopefully will be able to make my first cast tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Wolf Out

gallery_14867_1240_372221.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_143290.jpg

gallery_14867_1240_357650.jpg

Thanks unsc anubis 117,

I sure as hell hope so, trail and error is a pain to get right lol.

So lets hope Im one of the lucky ones and this actually turns out the right way and I can move on to next phase.

Wolf Out

unsc anubis 117 said:
great idea man ill bet its gonna look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok

First I want to thank everyone for all the great support on this one of a kind project. Second I want to say " HOLY CRAP MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SUPPLIES" :)

So I fiberglassed yesterday, man that was fun, and ran out of resin but feel that for this first cast purpose it should do the job. I took everything apart, and because I didnt have the right supplies to make proper keys, and not enough Dragon skin to make the mold thick enough, I ran into some problems resetting the mold into the fiberglass. So after using my brain, it took a few hours to figure something out ( old and brain doesnt work like it used to ), I think I have it stable enough to pour in my first cast. So I will be doing that today and maybe Ill set up the camera to video the demolding to see how much I screwed up. BUT remember, this is just a first cast of a cast. I needed to get away from all the clay on the first part so needed to make a cast of what I already had to see where to go from here. So today, in this wonderful South Texas heat and humidity, I shall be attempting my first cast pour. Also I received and email from a 405th member but when I tried to reply I got a mailer error, so if Reece could just send me a private message here Ill give you the contact info you requested.

So here we go, wish me luck

Wolf Out

Ok,

Well DEmolded and it didnt turn out half bad. There are some areas that will have to be fixed up, but the basic cast that I wanted came out. So now I can clean it up some and start working on the next phase. Let me know what you think or ideas.

Wolf Out

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znqX6bifOI[/media]

Damn k, thought that was just for the youtube masses not if I actually link it from someplace. OK opening it up so you can see it. Was hoping to keep my final stages of design just to the forum and not broadcasted all around.

Wolf Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back