Starting pepakura armour: Need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just got an account on this site. I'v used pepakura alot before but never with fiberglass. Any pointers on things I should or shouldnt do and how to lay it on the model?

if your gonna start a pep armour your best reading the tutorials about fiberglassing, pep scailing, ect. il post some pics and links for you soon

good luck if you gona use pep you gona not drop it in the water and if you are using regular paper then reinforce it with someing goodluck.

if youre gonna glass it do not use the woven stuff unless you plan on cutting out ant pasting every little piece (it does not bend well) if you do this its like taking a swift kick in the nuts :nuts: (youll soon regret the idea that you could do it and not get frustrated or cry)

starfox64 said:
if youre gonna glass it do not use the woven stuff unless you plan on cutting out ant pasting every little piece (it does not bend well) if you do this its like taking a swift kick in the nuts :nuts:

Thats sounds hella painful

Personally i havent worked with fibre glass but i have seen it used n stranded is much easier to use.

Before you fibre glass it reinforce the inside of the model with expanding foam or something of the sorts or it will buckle under the weight of the fibre glass

Last edited by a moderator:
or you could just glass one side
roll that side face down and let gravity do the work
and repeat prolly takes longer but saves the $5 you would have spent on spray foam

granted
not to crack on the stuff ive used it before and liked it for certain applications id probably use it here if i had nothing else to use

but the stuff is used to insulate houses
its gonna make you hotter than hell unless you mount a cooling system or carve air channels in the finished product

thats true but for some parts of a suit its no big deal, as to those "hot places" i'd try a lower densitys foam or give the armor cross members for support

Don't worry about the beginner's trouble here. These guys will take care of you and I would help you too if I knew anything about it.

if you go to home depot you can get fiber glass and resin kits for inbetween $11 and $15 (depends on where you live and what quality)
if youre real lucky you can find the stuff that has the glass fiber already in it

in both applications you need a sacrificial brush and like longshot said a support system
in most cases great stuff expanding foam about $4 a can found near insulation
foam it and glass it

I'v found that u can use fiberglass casting tape (like the stuff they wrap u n when u break ur arm) to re-enforce the inside like ribs and it wont deform or get the paper wet or out of shape. this also eleminates the need for lots of hot stuffy and heavy insulation foam.

Yeah dont use Plastar. It is brittle and heavy. I found that out the hard way and am gonna re-make my helmet because of it.

no it's fiberglass. I would know, I'v broken my arm twice in the last 2 years. Ill post pics later, trust me I can read the outside of the box.

i dont think that they use that in the med. field because it has glass

i checked it out thats different kind of glass, they use water to make the glass hard

whatever, it says on the side "fiberglass casting tape" besides I'v used it before. Just because I'm new at this site dosent mean I'm new to model making. I kno what I'm doing, this stuff is great for re-enforcing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back