Stuff Goes Here... Progress Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LastSpartan said:
That's looking rough, but you have pretty much all the shapes!

Next step, Filling Primer, + wet sanding and it should be smooth like a baby's bottom!

Nice work, and nice car xD

I deleted my last post, as it was counter productive, and frankly, a little insulting.
Thanks.. Its only in 36 grit, and I'm roughly 1/3 of the way through, if that. I haven't spent as much time on it as I wanted, but things have been a little hectic at home and work, so hopefully I'll get a few free days to finish this up.
I can't start on the metal version (well, I can, but this is basically going to be a visual reference, which makes things easier) till I get all the details worked out, so any criticism is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the helmet looks perfect and would like to see more work done on it and the rest of the armor. and i love ur mustang.

-doz

dozver12 said:
i think the helmet looks perfect and would like to see more work done on it and the rest of the armor. and i love ur mustang.

-doz

Thanks... Unfortunately its terminally warped. I'll post pics tomorrow, as well as some of the current project I'm working on. No, its not the MkVI, but it segues nicely. Its a heavily modified steel version of one of these masks. I started it to verify A)how precise I needed to be on the cutouts, and :cool: the feasibility of using pep (well, pep-like files) to make something out of steel. I'm only halfway done, and things are... interesting. You'll see. I was gonna post pics today, but I forgot my camera.

Sorry I haven't been around lately, for those of you who were asking. Been a little busy at work.
Also, many thanks to those who sent me birthday happy -things.... uhh. b-day greets, i guess. Meh. Thanks. Ironic that people I've never met in real life are more likely to send me b-day well wishing than most of my friends. Then again, my friends dont have auto-reminders :p.

okay, starting off with the old Mk VI...

looks good, right? yeah, from the side.
You can kinda see some warpage from this view

And heres where it becomes obvious.

also visible from the top

I can fix alot of this, but not all of it, without seriously changing the proportions of the helmet, and piling on the bondo, which is a big no-no in my book. The problem is, I left it in the sun over the weekend, sitting in a weird position. In the middle of August, in Arizona. Heat makes fiberglass do some weird things. And I didnt notice until after I had started on the other side. Thats what I get for paying attention. Soooo, basically, at this point, I'm gonna use it for reference, and start the metal MkVI. I'll redo it with FS's most recent helmet model after I get done with my current projects.

But all of that is after I finish this.
So, to start with, i had picked up the book 'DC Masks' (see my previous post for link to amazon. Yes, its amazon UK. first one that popped up in google) several years ago, for 3 bucks, on amazon. After building several of them, I had an apartment fire, and lost all of em. So i re-bought the book, and got about halfway into making the batman mask, and got to thinking (which never ends well). So, starting with the doomsday mask from the book, I cut apart and modified it to get something I liked, then redid the patterns, which look like this:

However, there is a problem. Since I did all this several years ago, I forgot how everything went together. So, I cut everything a little oversized and ran with it. heres some parts in comparison to the templates:

I'm about halfway done, as I'm fighting this alot more than I expected. the individual pieces are coming together pretty quickly, but the problem lies in getting them to fit together correctly. theres alot of cleanup work left to do on what I have done, and these inside shots show it:
top, notice the extra metal around the cheek and brow sections,
And the bottom. little easier time making these parts fit. Little easier to see the extra metal around the cheek, and theres some around the bottom of the nose as well.

So what the hell does the whole thing look like?

Originally, the pattern I made fit together at the middle, but I'm going to have to add a section in the middleof the forehead where the two halves meet, as well as some filler bits in and around the nose. I think I'm gonna add some crease lines around the mouth though, as the area is a little bland. Also considering reshaping the eye opening, and adding a crease line coming from the corner of the nose down around the mouth. all the parts for the other side are cut out, I just need a few hours to shape em and weld em together.
SO what does this have to do with making a steel MkVI? alot, actually. since the parts are cut and shaped similarly to the .pdo I have, its like a test run on making some of the smoother parts on the helmet, like the top, cheeks, and back. Also, it gave me a better feel for how to cut all the parts out, and what I needed to do to get better fitment, and most importantly, whether or not using the PDO's was even possible.

MkVI is a go, probably about a week or two.

Opinions? dont be afraid to hurt me feelers.

Edit: I am the Master of run-on sentences.

Ooo, good to see that you're back.

If the metal helmet looks as good as that mask... O.O :eek:

Some of the .pdo parts are going to be really difficult to weld, though I'm sure you can do it. ;p

yeah, the inset rear boxes and the little steps on the front of the face area will be a pain, if I was gonna fold and weld em. I'm thinking of just using thicker stock, cut to shape, stacked and welded. takes alot of the meticulous brake work out of the way. I built a miniature brake for doing 20 and 24 ga steel, but even these parts are gonna be a pain.

Humungotron said:
yeah, the inset rear boxes and the little steps on the front of the face area will be a pain, if I was gonna fold and weld em. I'm thinking of just using thicker stock, cut to shape, stacked and welded. takes alot of the meticulous brake work out of the way. I built a miniature brake for doing 20 and 24 ga steel, but even these parts are gonna be a pain.
the helmet is awesome buddy supper smooth nice work

helios said:
Mmmmm shiny.

Well, technically, no. But yes. I feel the love. It actually looked alot cooler before I media blasted it... lots of rust and shiny spots. reminded me of some of the medieval armors I've seen in museums and such. looked like it'd been sitting in a field for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back