Super new to this stuff need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyTheSoapBar

Hey im joey and this is my first post here. Ive done a bit of research on pepakura and im planning on making a halo 3 master chief helmet to start things off. Im using Blender for my 3d modeling because i heard good things about it and its free, but i have no idea what i should do. Im currently trying to use polygons only and stuff like that, but its so confusing and the placement of the polygons depending on where i place my mouse makes no sense at all. Are there any easier methods for beginners? Thanks!

Have you considered either 3d printing it or making it out of eva foam? I'd highly recommend the eva foam route. I've wore a muckle armor and a foam based armor... the foam was SO much more comfortable.
Editing to add: Also, instead of a helmet, I'd suggest starting small.. maybe a handplate or foot - then move up to more complicated things from there. The helmet is one of the more complicated parts.

Have you considered either 3d printing it or making it out of eva foam? I'd highly recommend the eva foam route. I've wore a muckle armor and a foam based armor... the foam was SO much more comfortable.
Editing to add: Also, instead of a helmet, I'd suggest starting small.. maybe a handplate or foot - then move up to more complicated things from there. The helmet is one of the more complicated parts.
How would I go about getting templates for stuff if I were to cut it out of foam? Wouldn’t I have to still use the paper thingy for a template?

How would I go about getting templates for stuff if I were to cut it out of foam? Wouldn’t I have to still use the paper thingy for a template?
Yes, but it is mostly the same process. There are great videos on YouTube by punished props and many other creators that work well with foam if you would like to get an idea of the process, and I highly recommend watching heroes workshop video on foam conversions to understand how to trace and transfer the pepakura to foam. Any method you do just depends on the resources and preferences you have available to you.

But first thing first, you should figure out what you want your build to be, and read. Read about similar builds or methods on this site, watch as many videos as you can, and then jump into it!

If you have any questions or need help please ask, and we would also love to be kept up to date on progress :D

Welcome soldier

Yes, but it is mostly the same process. There are great videos on YouTube by punished props and many other creators that work well with foam if you would like to get an idea of the process, and I highly recommend watching heroes workshop video on foam conversions to understand how to trace and transfer the pepakura to foam. Any method you do just depends on the resources and preferences you have available to you.

But first thing first, you should figure out what you want your build to be, and read. Read about similar builds or methods on this site, watch as many videos as you can, and then jump into it!

If you have any questions or need help please ask, and we would also love to be kept up to date on progress :D

Welcome soldier
Thanks man. Last night I drew out a halo 2 master chief hand plate to scale with myself I’ll be sure to show how that turns out.

Thanks man. Last night I drew out a halo 2 master chief hand plate to scale with myself I’ll be sure to show how that turns out.
Found it
The area under the plate is it sideways and to the left is upside down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 237
helmets are good for pep just a bit more work but the outcome can be worth it if you're patient. Armor on the other hand I would highly suggest foam( i did foam) or 3d print.
By the way if you don't want to scale all your parts manually check out Armorsmith Designer. It's $30 but you can take obj/sti/pdo files and put them on a character model (that you can scale to your proportions), and then you can scale those parts either in unity or make them longer/wider pieces.
Check out the tutorial index in the tutorial section, it is a god send for all different types of building.
Welcome to the forums and good luck on your build!

Alright ive done some more research and saw a dude do it without any templates or 3d modelling or anything like that. Could i possible do that instead, since im good with scaling to what im trying to make to what im creating it on? Also for foam some dude said i needed a heat gun rather than a hairdryer or something like that, and im 14 so idk how thats gonna fly with my parents. Couldn't i just hold a hairdryer on the foam for like 10 minutes or so and have the same effect?

Alright ive done some more research and saw a dude do it without any templates or 3d modelling or anything like that. Could i possible do that instead, since im good with scaling to what im trying to make to what im creating it on? Also for foam some dude said i needed a heat gun rather than a hairdryer or something like that, and im 14 so idk how thats gonna fly with my parents. Couldn't i just hold a hairdryer on the foam for like 10 minutes or so and have the same effect?
A heat gun is best. Hair dryers just don't create enough heat to heat through the foam. plus with the safety features on hair dryers they will automatically shut off at a certain tempreture.

Heat guns are best. won't burn the foam like a blowtorch but aren't weak like hair dryers, you can pick one up for $15-$25 at a home improvement store or amazon.

In all seriousness would a microwave work?
I mean there's only one way to find out... I have never even thought of that but based on how microwaves heat up by basically "shaking" the atoms where as a heat gun is dispersing heat onto an object I want to say no.
Also when you get to bigger pieces that won't fit in a microwave (even if that worked) then you would be SOL anyway.

I mean there's only one way to find out... I have never even thought of that but based on how microwaves heat up by basically "shaking" the atoms where as a heat gun is dispersing heat onto an object I want to say no.
Also when you get to bigger pieces that won't fit in a microwave (even if that worked) then you would be SOL anyway.
Damn haha alright I guess worst case I’ll just ask my dad to heat it up then because I am literally a child

Hello, JoeyTheSoapBar! Welcome to our home!

Definitely safety first, always.

A heatgun is very different from a blow torch. It's sort of like a hair dryer on steroids. It's electrical, not a gas like a blow torch, and there is no flame. Just really hot air. They are fairly inexpensive (start doing some chores for your mom!) and you can even get some smaller ones that are made for crafts like scrapbooking. They may not get as hot but they are definitely hotter than a hair dryer and an easier size to deal with. Just remember, whatever you use that the metal around the tip where the hot hair comes out gets REALLY hot and can burn you quickly so involving a parent is not at all a bad idea until you are confident in your technique.

For files to create out of foam or pepakura (paper folding), please visit The Armory. We have a lot of files there. I agree with the comment from Spurks Donut - start out with something small and work your way up. You'll experience far less frustration that way. None of it is easy at first but with practice it will become easier.

Also, have a look at the Halo Costume Tutorials area for all kinds of tutorials to get you started and answer questions.

You can freehand a build from scratch. I have seen many fails and many successes. I personally prefer using templates so I know how the peice should and will turn out, giving me a better finish.

I cannot confirm this, but I also beleive a microwave could cook your foam releasing gasses and or smoke, which is not ideal...

I'm going to agree with xXDashIVXx on the microwave. You do not want to suffer the wrath of your parents after melting foam to the bottom of the microwave or waaaay worse - releasing toxic fumes/gases. When working with foam - especially heating and sanding - you want to take precautions and wear a respirator.

Search “Andrew DFT” on YouTube. He is the master of step by step instructions on Halo props and provides free templates for working with foam. That’s where I got my start and have been slowly building away from his templates to more free hand stuff ever since.

Here’s a link:

Andrew DFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back