Sylvanas Windrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttyrCosplay

Just starting the post and getting ready to start posting eventual progress of my Sylvanas Windrunner build to keep myself accountable. To start, I have gathered some reference material via HoTS. Blizzard actually released a really nice reference kit that I am using to try and blueprint her bow and armor with. We will see how that goes.

However, I am taking most color cues from my good friend and WoW overlord, Deston (I don't play WoW...I'm sorry. I love the lore and character designs but I only played the free trial back in 2009. Forgive me for being a fake gam3r grill). So while the HoTS Sylv looks blue and in other models looks blue, I am going with purple skin since that is apparently what she is in other models and cinematics. IDK. My buddy is the WoW superfan so I'm going with what he says is "correct" in his eyes. If he told me she was bright neon pink and green hair, I would go that route. My goal is to have the non..."size" dependent pieces (like the hood, wig, shoulder armors, props) done before January. With everything else being completed May and later since I plan on going to my fave con (Galaxycon) again in July next year. Now what I mean by size dependent is I'm using this cosplay as a way to help motivate me to get in shape and get stronger.

I do believe that cosplay is for everyone regardless of shape, size, color, etc. I want to more visually match the character AND one of the things I had an epiphany about during my last cosplay adventure is that being physically stronger will help me be able to walk around more during the con and not be so dead post-con. It honestly seems like a no brainer, just click 4head, type thing but it had never occurred to me before that that was one of the things holding me back from wanting to wear a costume for longer.

Now for the actual costume bits, I just bought about 50 bucks worth of make up and only had to pay one dollar out of pocket for it which is nice. (Tons of marketing surveys and academic surveys. It took me about a week of doing them to get around 50 bucks). So I will post a make up test sometime next week or so.

I already have the wig I want to use for her, an old arda-wigs Ferrari CLASSIC in Ash Blonde if my color matching skills are to be believed. So yay for saving money on that at least. I just have to straighten it....after I wash it. Because it has been sitting in a garage for oooooooh, five years. So who knows what secrets it holds (bugs, there were dead bugs). To wash it, I just used hot water and laundry detergent. (PS: you shouldn't wash wigs with human hair shampoo because it leaves behind residue to make your hair soft and nice. Laundry detergent works by washing out dirt n nasties without leaving residue behind so it works for this particular situation). Now it's drying and then I will get back to straightening it. Deston says that this wig is a good one for her after I showed him an old photo of me wearing it for a My Little Pony human form cosplay.

The next thing I will be saving up for is more foam and some barge since apparently barge is okay to use if you ventilate the heck out of the area and people have used it indoors. My dog will be going elsewhere (like his room) so I don't poison both of us. I do still have some floor mat foam but I want to save that for my future Halo builds since it has the carbon fiber texture on the back.

Last edited:
Just starting the post and getting ready to start posting eventual progress of my Sylvanas Windrunner build to keep myself accountable. To start, I have gathered some reference material via HoTS. Blizzard actually released a really nice reference kit that I am using to try and blueprint her bow and armor with. We will see how that goes.

However, I am taking most color cues from my good friend and WoW overlord, Deston (I don't play WoW...I'm sorry. I love the lore and character designs but I only played the free trial back in 2009. Forgive me for being a fake gam3r grill). So while the HoTS Sylv looks blue and in other models looks blue, I am going with purple skin since that is apparently what she is in other models and cinematics. IDK. My buddy is the WoW superfan so I'm going with what he says is "correct" in his eyes. If he told me she was bright neon pink and green hair, I would go that route. My goal is to have the non..."size" dependent pieces (like the hood, wig, shoulder armors, props) done before January. With everything else being completed May and later since I plan on going to my fave con (Galaxycon) again in July next year. Now what I mean by size dependent is I'm using this cosplay as a way to help motivate me to get in shape and get stronger.

I do believe that cosplay is for everyone regardless of shape, size, color, etc. I want to more visually match the character AND one of the things I had an epiphany about during my last cosplay adventure is that being physically stronger will help me be able to walk around more during the con and not be so dead post-con. It honestly seems like a no brainer, just click 4head, type thing but it had never occurred to me before that that was one of the things holding me back from wanting to wear a costume for longer.

Now for the actual costume bits, I just bought about 50 bucks worth of make up and only had to pay one dollar out of pocket for it which is nice. (Tons of marketing surveys and academic surveys. It took me about a week of doing them to get around 50 bucks). So I will post a make up test sometime next week or so.

I already have the wig I want to use for her, an old arda-wigs Ferrari CLASSIC in Ash Blonde if my color matching skills are to be believed. So yay for saving money on that at least. I just have to straighten it....after I wash it. Because it has been sitting in a garage for oooooooh, five years. So who knows what secrets it holds (bugs, there were dead bugs). To wash it, I just used hot water and laundry detergent. (PS: you shouldn't wash wigs with human hair shampoo because it leaves behind residue to make your hair soft and nice. Laundry detergent works by washing out dirt n nasties without leaving residue behind so it works for this particular situation). Now it's drying and then I will get back to straightening it. Deston says that this wig is a good one for her after I showed him an old photo of me wearing it for a My Little Pony human form cosplay.

The next thing I will be saving up for is more foam and some barge since apparently barge is okay to use if you ventilate the heck out of the area and people have used it indoors. My dog will be going elsewhere (like his room) so I don't poison both of us. I do still have some floor mat foam but I want to save that for my future Halo builds since it has the carbon fiber texture on the back.

Closing remarks on the first post of this thread: I
One of the costumers local to me, @jenileecosplay, has a few different awesome Sylvanas costumes and I'm sure she'd be more than happy to answer a few questions if you ever get stuck.

Good luck on your build!

One of the costumers local to me, @jenileecosplay, has a few different awesome Sylvanas costumes and I'm sure she'd be more than happy to answer a few questions if you ever get stuck.

Good luck on your build!

I will definitely keep that in mind as I tally forth! I've been slowly following other cosplayers who have done her or are currently working on her to get more points of reference!

My make up came in today. I won't get to play with it until this weekend but I am living for this lipstick. (I still need to practice putting it on)

Attachments

• 20190814_150517.jpg
    20190814_150517.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 172
When your make up test doesn't turn out the way you planned. (First image)

But I learned a lot. Like how I should have waited longer between coats left it look like I have a mustache (like in the other images).

What I did like about this test: the contouring and the coverage.

What I will do different next test: do a layer of purple and then a layer of white. No mixing. Just to test it out. I will do thinner lines for the eye markings. And the number one thing is DO THIS IN AN ACTUAL MIRROR. I was like oh a webcam will be fine...nope. I need a close up mirror so I can actually see what I am doing for the eye makeup.

Attachments

• 20190816_162120.jpg
    20190816_162120.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 195
  • 20190816_155625.jpg
    20190816_155625.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190816_155612.jpg
    20190816_155612.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 169
Coverage and color looks fine but a mirror will definitely help. Especially around the mouth area....... it's very blotchy and not blended well. Mirror will also help w/ the lip line........keep it straight. You could go a bit darker for the eyes.......Will you go for colored contacts?

I think the area around the mouth was still drying too! The coverage was nice for ky first try.

I'm getting one of those small desk mirror type things so I can get a closer look along with actually doing this in my bathroom next time.

I will try darker for the eye makeup. Really saturate it with the black eye shadow.

I will be doing color contacts! They just cost a bit if coin and I want to do research so I am not buying essentially back alley contacts. Not to mention the con I want to do this for isn't for another year so buying them now would be a waste.

Not that expensive..........

FX Contacts
Eye Candy
Pinky Paradise
Honey Color

But then again, if you don't kneed it now.....save the links for later.

Relatively expensive compared to my actual contacts, I should have qualified, lolol! 30 for one box vs 25 for a pair of the colored contacts. But thanks for the links! I had been looking at Pinkyparadise but it's good to have other options!

And you didn't provide a photo in your comment? For shame
For you, sure. Also a build thread link so that Tyrgam3r can see some similar armour type builds.
1566324329729.png

For you, sure. Also a build thread link so that Tyrgam3r can see some similar armour type builds.

yesssss, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back