Foam Targaryan themed Spartan build

Status
Not open for further replies.
So post-con write up/review of my costume. Because as well all know, just trying on the costume is a lot different than actually wearing it to a con.

Firstly, lots of people LOVED my costume. It was fantastic bringing smiles to people's faces as they saw me waltz by. Lots of people called me dude or man and I loled. Lots of people wanted a fist bump or a picture with Targaryen Spartan. I also met a ton of people who had just gotten into cosplay and I gave them tips and tricks! (Shout out to the star trek couple I talked to while I was drinking water, I believe y'all mentioned one of you had just joined the 405th so if you're on here and reading this, hi!). I also joined the Game of Thrones photoshoot and had tons of fun. The photographer is one provided by the con and he didn't know much about GoT but he did know Halo so it was a little hilarious being the only character he knew and referred as "Spartan".

Physically, walking around wasn't too bad. The exhibition floor (where all the celebs/artists/vendors were) was probably the worst of it because of all the bodies down there. I listened to my body and made sure that I got plenty of water and took several breaks. Thankfully I had a few friends that were my handlers, only downside is that they could barely hear me. Next time, I might install a mic and speaker system so that people can hear me. Several times I had to raise my voice just to let my friends know to hol' up, and let me adjust something. So now I have a bit of a sore throat post con. -_-

My helmet fit really well with the padding I added to it and the fan kept my visor clear and my face cool. The hood I wore also added to keeping me cool so yay!

The chest and back armor, no complaints. I could easily put it on and off by myself. The only downside is that no one really saw the DRACARYS I wrote on the left upper bit nor asked what the braille meant (fyi, it is 627, as in the number of letters in MOTHER-OF-DRAGONS). I also think that after wearing it and seeing up close shots of myself, that the scaling could have been 5% bigger on the torso. Also, I am PLEASED AS PUNCH that the armor held up. The back piece is supposed to be just the center bit and then the two side pieces glued together. I was super afraid of it not holding up so I actually ended up adding nails to it for support and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. This is the first cosplay I've ever worn where I DIDN'T need to repair the costume halfway through.

The arm pieces all fit wonderfully. The biceps/shoulders did slide about a bit but other than that, I was happy. The shoulder bits could have been a bit bigger, maybe 5% as well. The gloves looked cool but I might have to redo the paint since it is peeling off. They were kinda last minute so I can't complain too much. They only got so much wear and tear because people kept wanting to fist bump me!

The bag was awesome. I could carry my own money, license, and phone for purchasing various things and having a good time.

The butt and DONGER. The butt plate stayed fine. But the codpiece. THE CODPIECE. Lordt, I had to adjust that thing so many times. I'm not sure why I had such an issue with it. As you can see in this photo it is flopping forward. I think the loops were either too big or the belt buckle kept getting in the way and undoing the velcro. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a more permanent solution on it since the belt is my work belt and I can't just add velcro to it willy-nilly.

The thighs were also a bit of an issue. I think maybe some more straps and a better securing would work better. (I had them turned at an awkward angle so the velcro would let go because of me walking and gravity...like it would pull against rather than stay secure).

The rest of the legs worked out fine. The shoe covers held up really well! I will just need to go over them with a heatgun since they are a bit wrinkled. I do regret the shoes I wore since they are HEELS and I have some mad blisters. Also, it didn't help that spent like the last three hours of Friday just aimlessly wandering with my buddy in the exhibition hall.

I only wore the costume for a few hours on Saturday, I would have gone longer by I was physically wiped and my one buddy was getting antsy because I wanted to do ye olde, stand in the lobby and let the fans come to you trick. He kept trying to get me to go walk around. We ended up getting food and then I found out my other friend was having health issues and I momma-beared out of costume to take care of him!

Goals for next time I wear the costume:
-Be physically stronger. Stamina wise, I was dead. If I was fitter, this wouldn't have been as much as an issue.
-Find a better system for attaching codpiece to belt
-Fix thigh strapping
-Scaling issues
20190727_170807.jpg

WOW, awesome job........why use a work belt? You could try using a clip to keep the front end up.....this way if you continue using your work belt....no damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back