Tatsuyoshi's Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm Tango 89er, aka Tatsuyoshi
I figured I'd share my progress with you.
I'm working on two projects, a set of bulletproof and fireproof (yes fireproof) Hayabusa armour, and a set of Mk VI

Hayabusa1.jpg

The helmet
Surprisingly it fits me perfectly, and I didn't do any scaling or modifying

Soon to come will be the shoulders, as well as the chest for my other project.
I burnt out the printer doing what I have so far, but luckily I have a spare

Bullet proof vest are hard to make, and arent fireproof. I dont think armour out of paper coated with resin would be fire proof or bullet proof.

It sounds like a good idea, it just seems hard too.

Good Luck! :lol:

I knew I was going to have to explain this sooner or later!

A friend of mine can get me bulletproof and slashproof kevlar for $50 AU a metre. I've even tested the kevlar. Withstands most stuff except a 12 gauge at close range. Plus I've bulk ordered some fireproof resin, which I will test once it arrives. I'm hoping coating the paper in the resin will be enough to prevent it combusting, but we'll see

Course then I still have to work out a way to make the clothing underneath safe....

Why would you need bullet and fire proof armour?
But it would sure be awesome if you whole suit would be fire and bulletproof!

about the pep:

Not the cleanest i've ever seen, but if you bondo it good I think it ill be ok

Yeah, I know the pep isn't the best. First time working on it alone....
And as for why I want to make it fireproof and bulletproof, it's simply to see if I can do it

Just dont be stupid and decide to test the armor with you inside. And if it does work still never try and use it with you inside. Like I said just dont be stupid. Good luck.

well, just dont go playing with fireworks in the armor. as far as fireproof clothing, the military here in the states as well as welders wear 100% cotton. it does a really good job of withstanding sparks and wisking sweat away, but short of going with full leather, you should probably just go with cotton. if i remember correctly there is a fire retardent treatment you can soak clothes with though..

This is mostly a research project to see if I can make bulletproof and fireproof armour. The kevlar was tested by using a small (12 inch by 12 inch roughly) piece of resined and kevla'd cardstock at a shooting range. I plan on then resining and fibre glassing (Kevla is too expensive to waste on 2 tests) another piece of cardstock using the fireproof resin and trying to light it up. At no stage will the actual armour itself be shot at

Though one of my friends did say, if you say it's bulletproof, there'll be some idiot who'll test it for kicks....

Full leather.... euch. I once wore a 3 piece leather suit for cosplay. In summer. I nearly died of heatstroke

Tango 89er said:
This is mostly a research project to see if I can make bulletproof and fireproof armour. The kevlar was tested by using a small (12 inch by 12 inch roughly) piece of resined and kevla'd cardstock at a shooting range. I plan on then resining and fibre glassing (Kevla is too expensive to waste on 2 tests) another piece of cardstock using the fireproof resin and trying to light it up. At no stage will the actual armour itself be shot at

Though one of my friends did say, if you say it's bulletproof, there'll be some idiot who'll test it for kicks....

Full leather.... euch. I once wore a 3 piece leather suit for cosplay. In summer. I nearly died of heatstroke

Yah, i did the whole kevlar thing in Iraq back when i was in the service, and because im a welder i got stuck welding armor on trucks in 130+ degree F heat in my armor and welding leathers. talk about a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, maybe if we get a successful test out of it, perhaps a real master chief is possible in the near future, just imagine the possibilities! :lol:

is the resin pink, or is the card stock florescent pink? I was just curious...

Good luck. But it's not as easy as you would think... Certain thicknesses are required for the bullet proofing process. And when you start adding stuff in, it gets real tight, real quick, and certain materials don't mix correctly. I mean... Next thing you know, your adding HY 100 steel plating, more kevlar, 3/8" thick bullet resistant FB shielding, stainless steel hardware, nomex (fire retardent cloth)... And the list goes on. Then other hurdles... Heh... You'll see.

It's just coloured cardstock, and I was using a hot glue gun in the middle of winter. Yes it was hard to pep, but only coz the glue cooled down so fast.

And to Scott, I'm simply doing it to see if I can make it bulletproof. I have no plans to go all out crazy and start using sheet metal

Added: Here's some pics of the Mk VI chest I just finished peping
chest1.jpg

chest2.jpg

chest3.jpg

I'll attempt one of the High Detail ones later in the year. Actually the plan is to make 4 sets of armour and several energy sword and gravity hammers by October, as well as a bomb. Why? Live action Grifball tournament of course!

Chip475 said:
Why would you need bullet and fire proof armour?
But it would sure be awesome if you whole suit would be fire and bulletproof!

about the pep:

Not the cleanest i've ever seen, but if you bondo it good I think it ill be ok

now if you succeed in making it bulletproof and fireproof you can battle the covies in it though brute spikers and gravity hammers not to mention energy swords would kill you,but still you'll be the first reall mc (though yor making hayabusa ,i advise making hd mkVI armor to be mc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress report #1

I put aside the Mk VI for now and started on my ODST armour. I'm using the WETA ODST pep files (Thanks Skullcandy Girl and Ral Partha for making such easy to work with pieces).

I'm hoping to make a mould of all the pieces when finished and make enough castings to equip a small squad. I'm currently trying to get a group of friends to attend an electronics and gaming convention called G03 (here in Perth Australia), with all of us dressed in the armour. I have most of the pieces printed out and am in the process of cutting and glueing them. I will go back and remake some of the pieces I don't think turned out so well. The goal I'm setting myself is to have 10 sets of armour by the convention. Hopefully with my friend's help I can achieve this lofty goal.

Here's a pic of the pep'd parts so far
odstprog1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back