Tenya Iida Ingenium

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did take whatever we had built and paint it for a Hero and Villain's con here in NJ.....but due to a mishap, photos were lost. The helmet came out great but a bit too small. Never got it fiber-glassed on the inside. If I did that then there would be no room for her head. The only thing missing was the chest piece. I eventually figured out why things were not sized correctly. I sized the whole thing to be a bit over 6 feet tall.......which my daughter is just under 6. So I thought ok, 2 inch gap should fit her correctly. I didn't take into account the crest/wings of the helmet when I unfolded the whole thing. Should have went for 6'6" as the crest/wings is about 4' off the top of the helmet proper........It was resined on the outside enough that it held nicely to spray paint, but all the seams were showing. It was a great learning exp for her and she is getting better at it. Soon she'll be on her own doing her own builds.......I just have to keep up w/ her supply list. "Daddy, can I have money for foam....and paint.....and blades......and I need a new cutting board? Maybe one of those self sharpening cutting boards that PerniciousDuke has."

Yes.....the self healing boards are worth it. (Still trying to fine the self sharpening one though.) If you have a Michael's near you, they always have a 40% off coupon on line.

I was at Joanns the other day with a healing board in my cart (along with sewing machine and etc.), and asked the lady working there (who up to this point has been very helpful and knowledgeable) if I should use one of these for foam and exacto blades. The look of sheer terror on her face convinced me to put it back.

I'm cutting into a wooden table now that, yes, is getting really messed up, but it doesn't really matter what happens to this table. Is there benefit there PerniciousDuke?

Yes, there is. Cutting is two part, it needs a knife and an anvil. Even scissors you will notice one blade has a steep bevel and one has a shallow one. When a blade doesn't have something smooth to press against then you'll get uneven or torn cuts. The self healing mat can take A LOT of cuts before chunks go missing.

Why did the Joanne lady get you to put the mat back?? That seems weird. Maybe cause she knows they mark theirs up like 300%. Get them ONLINE! way cheaper.

Dirtdives you can do the sharpening trick with any of the self healing mats. You're really just polishing the bevel to get it sharp again. It is not going to grind out chips or burrs.

This is the one I use. I will soon be buying a bigger one. Four years and it is just starting to show signs of needing replacement.

Yes, there is. Cutting is two part, it needs a knife and an anvil. Even scissors you will notice one blade has a steep bevel and one has a shallow one. When a blade doesn't have something smooth to press against then you'll get uneven or torn cuts. The self healing mat can take A LOT of cuts before chunks go missing.

Why did the Joanne lady get you to put the mat back?? That seems weird. Maybe cause she knows they mark theirs up like 300%. Get them ONLINE! way cheaper.

Dirtdives you can do the sharpening trick with any of the self healing mats. You're really just polishing the bevel to get it sharp again. It is not going to grind out chips or burrs.

This is the one I use. I will soon be buying a bigger one. Four years and it is just starting to show signs of needing replacement.
Ok, good to know. Thanks :)

you can do the sharpening trick with any of the self healing mats.
Wait, wtf THIS IS A REAL THING?!!

Hey guys DD is back again and running very short on time for the next con which starts today!!!! Anime NYC. We will be attending on Sunday though, so I have 1 and 1/2 days to help my daughter finish. She decided that doing the boots can wait but we have to get the shins and chest done......and they look something like this:

This is the upper chest piece and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the templates for this matched up w/ the look of the armor in real like...or Anime life as it were.......that triangular shape that is indented was actually on the top of the chest?????? That's not where it's so posed to be so we turned the whole thing upside down. This forced us to remake the shoulder and side pieces from scratch. She also had to add in the filler pieces on the new bottom section to allow for the attachment of the lower section.
20191115_120212_HDR1.jpg

Now this is the lower section of the chest piece. Its some sort of exhaust piping that I have no idea how it should work...not being familiar w/ the show......I'm using pipe insulation foam, making some relief cuts and using contact cement to hold it all together. We tried to heat it but only had minimal success to get it to bend. It started to melt at one point. This will get attached to the bottom of the upper chest piece and additional support pieces attached to the inside for the sides and top will complete the needed angle bends. Additional velcro spots will also be added to the sides under the arms for additional structured support. These things are a bit on the heavy side for just 1 location and hold up. This should be finished by tonight.
20191115_120226_HDR1.jpg

And the shin pieces are also just about done....Need to attach additional exhaust ports on the side pieces. We also have to scratch build the knee section as the templates are different that the ones that IIda actually wears. As far as size goes.....these things are MASSIVELY over-sized for her legs.....but that's how its so posed to be. A lot of furniture foam will be required on the inside to keep them in place.

20191115_120201_HDR1.jpg

20191115_120204_HDR1.jpg

As soon as we have more updates I'll post but those might be of those during the con.....no time at all left. She'll probably have to be very careful walking around.....might leave wet paint marks everywhere.

So a frantic night and too much coffee........and we ended up accepting that fact that the shoes weren't going to be finished in time, nor were the shins, the helmet needs to be re-done but she said that was secondary as the character still walks around w/o it, and we misplaced her gloves somewhere, so we oped to paint what she had and continue to build and improve as we go for later. Suffice to say that the second we got to Anime NYC her armor started falling apart. So straight to the Cosplay Hospital we went. A few hot glue applications and some elastic strapping and we have this:

Image-1.jpg

She is the one all the way to the left and was the only Iida in armor!!!! And there were a TON of My Hero ACAs there!!!!! And yes you might notice that her right sneaker is missing......While at the con I got a call from her saying that she met up w/ the voice actor who voices the Iida character and got a picture w/ him and he signed her sneaker!!! I thought that was cool and she didn't want anything to happen to the autograph so she put it away for the day......I'll have more pics as she goes through the SD cards we filled up and will post ASAP. But I have to say she did a great job on this. Proud Papa!!! She had a blast and was stopped almost as much as I was. Liek father like daughter. It just proves the point that the more effort you put in to your build, the better the build is and the response you will get from other people will be through the roof. Once she builds the boots and shins she wants to get back to he Caboose build....... Oh joy........

Pics will be coming in drips and drabs........and yes I look stiff as a board because I was DONE at this point. Exhausted is closer to the mark. And that is my little one all the way to the right. She had the best looking prop out of all of us....I don't know the character but its a little person and her "sword" is actually a "pin". A sewing pin......Styrofoam ball glues on to a wood dowel which she did all on her own (with my direction) and it came out looking like a real giant sewing pin.

PHOTO-2019-11-18-14-16-12 (1).jpg

Pics will be coming in drips and drabs........and yes I look stiff as a board because I was DONE at this point. Exhausted is closer to the mark. And that is my little one all the way to the right. She had the best looking prop out of all of us....I don't know the character but its a little person and her "sword" is actually a "pin". A sewing pin......Styrofoam ball glues on to a wood dowel which she did all on her own (with my direction) and it came out looking like a real giant sewing pin.

View attachment 280698
Well done on the race to the finish, the suit still looks awesome and I'm sure adding in the shins and the helm will only help make it look even cooler.

The character on the right is Arrietty from The Secret World of Arrietty!

Status
Not open for further replies.