THE BIG ONE! M808B Scorpion Tank

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by Benton188, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Spartan55

Spartan55

Good point
    Still will look great

Benton188 likes this.
  2. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

*glances at his van thoughtfully*

This is fantastic! Can't wait to see it finished! Wonder if it will ever get the chance to meet my mech?
    Have you considered using PVC as framework material? Its lighter (and cheaper) than lumber plus you get to work with all those little elbows and unions.

3. Benton188

Benton188

I had thought about many different materials before starting, but wood stood out above everything for both integrity and ease of use. With PVC it would be really hard to make rigid enough surfaces to make it look like a solid tank.

4. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

If the tire gets flat later on.....after you fix the current one that is......with the tracks in place, how are you going to fix it?

5. Benton188

Benton188

I'm designing it so the tracks can come off, as well as the sides of the body. This is to ensure that I can have access to any part of the vehicle if they need fixed, and to also meet highway trailer regulations. Anything that is hauled over 8.5' wide is considered a Wide Load and needs special hauling permission.

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Ah man this is all so cool. Great work as usual!

7. foxleader

foxleader

... movie makers get ready for a tank to be ready for filming. btw what would you charge film makers for uses of the tank. and I'm talking like if they need it to look wreaked or broken down but the gun still works, plus how's that whole six petal thing going?

8. Benton188

Benton188

I guess it would all depend on how far they needed me to drive since i live kinda far out from most of the film makers lol. If they wanted to travel here and film on location somewhere local then I wouldn't charge anything. The tanks is a personal fun project that I wish to take to cons so people can check it out and get pictures taken with it. It's a labor of love.

As for the six pedals, still only two right now. Details like those will be added later down the line.

9. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

It would all depend on your substructure. 1/2" PVC can be pretty rigid at 1 foot intervals, but that would be a lot of elbows and unions. Plus it might bend over time (I haven't had this happen yet but it is plastic). And if you ever dispose of it a pvc frame would be harder to dispose of than lumber.

Maybe the extra four pedals can do something fancy like wiggle the treads or something.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

What about attacking them as cranks to the treads. step on the pedals and the treads will move. not just wiggle......but rotate as if they were moving.

11. Spartan55

Spartan55

Don't forget get the confetti gun idea!

Dirtdives and mblackwell1002 like this.
  12. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

with grunt head-pop noises! Hoooraayyy!

Dirtdives likes this.
  13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Tucker did it!!!!

GMer56 and Spartan55 like this.
  14. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Thom A293 likes this.
  15. Shadowlite

Shadowlite New Member

16. jsg6

jsg6

Wish the Pacific Regiment had this much firepower...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. Benton188

Benton188

Hey everyone. I realized I haven't posted an update since May and just wanted to give you an update on what's been going on. Basically, I haven't done any work since the last update I've posted. Money restrictions and a failing everyday vehicle are to blame for this, as I needed to shift money priorities to keep my Jeep running. I spent all of Summer doing work to the Jeep and expecting it to just explode at any moment, and it even continues to this day. Plus I had to keep money saved so I could go to all the conventions and hang out with fellow Spartans that I had planned on attending.

Lemme continue by saying that THIS TANK WILL BE FINISHED SOMEDAY! I am a guy who never walks away from an unfinished project, no matter the difficulty or restrictions. Honestly I had figured on this project taking between 2-4 years anyways, and after building the treads I was on track to having it done by 2, but we'll have to see how things go come Spring. Thanks for your understanding guys and I'll keep you all posted as things get going again.

18. Spartan55

Spartan55

Dude i wish the Australian regiment had this much fire power

As a wise fish once said just keep swimming just keep swimming. Also I can see the problem with your car from across the globe.... it's a jeep get a ford:p

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  19. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Dude, no explanation is necessary. However long it takes........is how long it takes. Sorry to hear about the Jeep....usually those are super reliable and built to last.

20. Spartan55

Spartan55

Hisssss away with your wicked lies. JEEPS MUST DI.... HAHAHAH :lol::p:lol: nope can't keep doing it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    mblackwell1002 and Dirtdives like this.
  21. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

I'll still be watching next year. (y) Hope the other issues resolve themselves in quick time.

22. Harri51

Harri51

I am so driving!!!!!...if not Shotgun! Or turret? Either way my love for heavy weapons will never end! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! *breaths deeply* if you pull this off. We need to take this Twin Tiers. ppl will flip.

23. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Just drive the van/tank around!
    Seriously though, I feel your pain: I still gotta replace catalytic converter. When it comes to cars you either pay the bank or the mechanic. Try to keep the Jeep explosions in the cylinders where they belong :)

24. Spartan55

Spartan55

I just remember that I'm also in the same boat i got to replace my carbon emissions fillter

25. Manu

Manu New Member

To be honest, i think that this is the most ambitious project i have come across on this forum and i wish you the best of luck.
    But i have one question though.
    Can you pick up chicks with it ?

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.