The Start Of An Odst...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBlade9342

First of all Hi

Wasnt exactly sure on where I wanted to start on this, and I mean literaly everything, from what armour to make, do I start posting or describing what i'm dooing, do i get materials ect ect.. you get the idea. Now im in the kitchen cooking dinner and with the laptop, and have come to the conclusion about the best way to approach this all. Now I have already pepped an ODST helmet (halo 2 I am a beginner) and have had a run around the forums, Nosing at other epepoles work (absolutely amazing everyone!!!). I've only posted in the Intro thread so this is my first, big apearance one could say. Now before I post in other pepoles forums complimenting or perhaps niggling at others work I wanted to make sure no one took offence, I mean I have no intentions of causing arguments and I especialy dont want to upset, So whilst waiting for the chicken to cook I've decided Im going to write up a little about me (stuff thats in the bio as well) and also the progress im making plus the ideas I have. That way any comments I make, I'd love for poeple to come look at this thread and be able to offer advidce, constructive critism and hopefully compliments as well. So less rambling and more sensible stuff comming up...

Ok so been a bit of a cosplayer for like the last year now, Live in the UK so MCM twice a year (Whoop) though only done anime stuff so far. Now ive also been a massive halo fan ever since i sat in argos for nearly an hour with my mate playing the demo (I really wish i was joking, but meh I was young). So i thought why not try some ODST stuf, easliy my most favoured group of troops in the Halo universe. Now ive done a 2 year art course and walked away with my diploma, so I kind of know what im talking about. I say kind of because I focus mainly on CG work and photography so this is still quite new stuff im exploring. Anyway so I looked a bit through the forums and the 'how toos' and thought up my plan about what I'm dooing. Im going with ODST's from the halo 2 game. Now the problem I first had with this is that "arrgh I hate the torso uniforms!!" So After recently completing halo wars (I only recently bough it as well) I had an idea. Now me and three friends are making suits and all three of us have the limited edition halo game. It was the spirits badge which made me think. ODST's from halo wars are going to likely be wearing halo 2 helms with a lot less armour, (like halo 1). SO I'm using this as my 'scape goat' in which I shall experiment making a suit and perhaps beeing able to re-use sections. Because I will be aiming to make halo 3 ODST at a much later date.

I am starting out small here. So ODST from halo 2 helmet and an asortment of armour sections. Now I know this is not cannon but please hold on, because you never actualy see ODST's in halo wars (as far as I remember) unless they are about 3 cm big on the screen. So heres a screenie of the armour set im making

ODSTspiritoffire.jpg

Helmet: HALO 2 ODST

Shoulder Pads: HALO 3 EVA

Center Torso: HALO 3 ODST

Lower Torso: HALO 3 ODST

Forearms: HALO 1 MARINE

Thigh: HALO 1 MARINE

LEGS: HALO 2 ODST

Now the plan so far is to make the pepakura then rather than using a resin, do 1 or 2 layers of papermache'. NOW BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING I KNOW!! I KNOW!! PAPERMACHE' ....WHAT THE DOUECE! The idea is that I want to reinforce the pepakura (the cheap way) then use a medium Im familier with that works well. Mod roc. This way I can use the original pep as a template for the mod roc and hopefully three helmets. All the other sections are easier to make so they will be just pepd papermached and then mod roc'd. Now the use of of mod roc will be very very sparingliy, its only to reinforce it that little bit more. Now how to apply detail after wards..im still thinking on but painting it will be easy and the undersuit will be something I can make or buy into. The two things that I havent covered which I know will be a major point is the lack of... stuff... around the back and waist. I was going to get a backpack similar to something from halo 3 ODST (main reason is that if youve ever been to any of these things, walking around with bags of goodies which you just bought there in one hand and Ichigo's zangetsu [[the 5 foot by 2 foot sword]] when your dresed as executions grounds ichi', kinda spoils the image) the waistline was going to be filled with an army utility belt. Something with lots of bag, pouches and something I can add onto with like ammo clips ect...

If theres something else I think im missing then theres always time to add more because this is hopefully going to be ready but october 2010. ( the may mcm expo is nice and warm so I am still dooing the anime look) Come winter though, I think i'll love the nice suit and armour hehe.

So Any Ideas then please post, I'll show some progress in here as well and of course start posting eleswhere.

hmmm, very interesting. when do you suppose you can get us some more progress pics! i'm definitely interested.

Ok heres the first bit of an update, the helmet is pepped and paper-mache'd. the visor has been pepped but ive also made three copies, Im going to muck around with these a little, see if i can get a bit of the halo 3 slant in on them. Heres some screenies the last has the visor in it.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

So some feedback please but Not too harsh as Its still going to be Mod'roc'd and obviously. Now Its probably going to be a little while before any more updates are done to the helmet because im waiting to get some mod roc delivered. HOwever will soon be printing and pepping the rest of the armour. so watch this space!!!......again...

well if you look at the cards that come with the limited edition you would see a squad of 3 odst's wearing the halo3 odst (not the game the one's in halo3) armor but with the color of the team you are. i think there black and green? sorry but i dont have a scanner and i cant find a pic on google.

AHHHHHH I did not know this!!!!! Damnit theres still 6 hrs till the end of work. I do actualy have the limited edition so i'll be loooking tonight, The only question is what do I do with the original build? I want to keep on the halo 2 helmet because it will be a good bit of practice at least.

But It would look slightly uncannon at the sametime.... GOD DAMN YOU ENSEMBLE STUDIOS AND YOUR LACK OF BUNGIE-HALO TIMELINE CANNON NESS!!!!!

don't worry i wore a h2 helmet with my h3 armor and every one at the con still knew it was an odst

I think I still will go with it. I shall make more sense out of the timeline then ensemble then lol.

Next week is going to be fun, Ive booked it off work because my mums gone on holiday so i have the house to myself and me gf and shes at college during the week. So expect LOTS of pep updates and hopefully some modroc progression because im ordering it tonight for next week...hopefully... (and hopefully some sake' too :D)

ODST PAPER ARMOUR HERE I COME.

((((something random my friend and I said which we thought was hilarious.

"SO what makes the new helmets better?"

[in fake sgts voice] "well you see we painted this go faster stripe along the top! Increases speed of ODSTs By 50% more than any other MARINE!!!"

"well what about the older ones"

[in fake sgts voice] "they went with the cheif, Making them better was unfair, thats why their Helmets are crap and downgrades from the ones 20 years ago on the Spirit. We had to make it fair for the covenant")))

Blue Blade 9342 said:
((((something random my friend and I said which we thought was hilarious.

"SO what makes the new helmets better?"

[in fake sgts voice] "well you see we painted this go faster stripe along the top! Increases speed of ODSTs By 50% more than any other MARINE!!!"

"well what about the older ones"

[in fake sgts voice] "they went with the cheif, Making them better was unfair, thats why their Helmets are crap and downgrades from the ones 20 years ago on the Spirit. We had to make it fair for the covenant")))

can i put that on my signature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly,

Yes you may but post a link back to here about it as well lol.

Ok so quick update ive started pepping the torso and shoulder pieces, now as you can see the shoulders were to be eva's. The problem ive hit is that the badge from the legendary box set doesnt actualy fit on them so at the mo its a fifty fifty as to whether look at some noe shoulder pads or to try and atatch it to my arm underneath teh actual pad. Either way its all a learning curve so i'll finish the pepping no matter what.

Keep it clean peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back