Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
thorssoli said:
On the plus side, www.jgreer.com has some really nice, jet black casting resin now. So that will cut down on some of the finishing time for the castings.

You might also take a look at Smooth-On's "Onyx" resin. I used some of it on some pieces a while back and its a good product. A bit more brittle than smoothcast300, but if you're just doing solid resin pieces, that shouldn't be much of a concern.

Fantastic work on that inner thigh piece also. Details like that are really what makes your work stand out.

Last edited by a moderator:
thorssoli said:
Pretty soon I'll be painting them to smooth out the surface texture and then I'll make molds so I can pull copies in foam rubber. What's really great about the machine is that the software can import 3D files (in .stl format) and then let me slice them up to be carved out of whatever sheet goods I decide to use. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it beats the hell out of spending a couple of nights cutting and folding pep files, then a week worth of smoothing, detailing, and prep work before I make a mold. With that in mind, if anyone needs a 3D model made in real life, shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

For now I'm looking for some solid, high-res models of weapons to crank out.

Stay tuned...

contact WMHunterTLS he does some great HD models for halo CE

http://martynleeball.blogspot.com/

EDIT: his pistol a little bit more accurate picture below

h3magnum09.jpg

Thorssoli I'm trying to send you a pm on something we previously discussed, and either your box is full or the system is messed up. Could you shoot me a pm when you get the chance, thanks!

Top-notch work, and it's been really helpful to watch this and decide how I want to go about things based on how you have done them. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Finally focused on making progress on the larger torso. Today I got the chest plate about 90% done. I still have a bit of fairing to do on the outside, then a bit more smoothing on the inside. Here's a quich shot of some of the details:

4504887142_50519b7217_o.jpg

I'm planning on having the whole large torso assembly ready for molding by next week. So far I'm on track. If you're interested in owning a copy, I've got a pre-order thread going in the classified section.

On a lesser note, I've made a tiny bit of progress on the pistol. Here's a couple shots of all of the pieces glued together and sealed up:

4504904944_ddbb75666b_o.jpg

4504904354_380470674f_o.jpg

Once I've got it sanded smooth and painted glossy in the appropriate places, I'll be molding it up and offering a run of raw castings as well. There won't be any moving parts so they'll just be big pistol-shaped blocks of resin, but they'll look pretty cool on the shelf or clipped onto your thigh armor.

I put a coat of primer on the pistol prototype. At this point I'm also going to go ahead and put a pistol build thread in the weapons section.

4508023739_599322fda3_o.jpg

4508081017_7304f24678_o.jpg

4508726550_0a4ffd2867_o.jpg

I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of stamping all of the lettering onto the prototype or just cast it as is. Any thoughts?

Wow! :D But how much did your cnc cost? Your armour is really awesome! I can't wait to see it done!:D

Jico said:
Wow! :D But how much did your cnc cost? Your armour is really awesome! I can't wait to see it done! :D

I got the machine off of eBay. With all of the software upgrades I'm into it for about $1350. If I'd bought it brand new, the machine alone would've cost over $1800.

Marc Hall said:
if you dont mind my creepy observations to you have combat gear by any chance? :D

I'm not sure what you're asking here (or why it would be creepy). I have some leftover gear that I used while I was in a combat zone, yes, but nothing very interesting. I bought my own Ka-bar combat knives, so I still have those. I've also got a few MOLLE pouches, three pairs of tan combat boots, and digital camouflage uniform stuff, but that's about it.

thorssoli said:
I'm not sure what you're asking here (or why it would be creepy). I have some leftover gear that I used while I was in a combat zone, yes, but nothing very interesting. I bought my own Ka-bar combat knives, so I still have those. I've also got a few MOLLE pouches, three pairs of tan combat boots, and digital camouflage uniform stuff, but that's about it.

oh i dunno i was curious i guess sorry if i wasted your time

Marc Hall said:
oh i dunno i was curious i guess sorry if i wasted your time

Not a problem at all. I hope I answered your question.

thorssoli said:
Not a problem at all. I hope I answered your question.

hahah thanks ya you did ill make sure i come up with a clever question for you sometime down the road :D

I made some prototypes for the undersuit parts around the pelvic armor as well as a thong strap. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures of them until I'd already poured the silicon:

4517260676_87a79b0ea5_o.jpg

In other news, I'm closer to having the inside of my larger chest armor smoothed out and ready for molding:

4517260606_1ee5845d0d_o.jpg

Smoothing the inside means I'll be able to make a two-piece mold that will allow me to just pour single-piece parts of consistent thickness.

In case anyone's been wondering about the dimensions of the larger torso armor, here's a shot of the bottom with a tape measure (marked in inches as well as centimeters):

4516626979_296008e050_o.jpg

For anyone who is wondering why there's missing parts at the top of the back, they'll be separate castings:

4517260432_0d71239551_o.jpg

Still a ways to go before the back parts will be ready for casting. Tonight and tomorrow morning I'll be designing all of the little detail parts that will go in the hollows in the back and then I'll be feeding them to the machine (which I still haven't named) so it can spit me out some prototypes. So far I'll be making seven separate detail parts as separate castings in addition to the five main pieces.

Stay tuned...

During a few free minutes this afternoon, I went ahead and put on the top half of the armor for a few photos. I still haven't put together my undersuit, but it's starting to look pretty cool regardless:

4539986646_2322b182ea_o.jpg

4539986750_b56aee3e55.jpg

4539353249_18c0192a8b_o.jpg

4539353327_56d1ba6e8b_o.jpg

I've been a bit distracted from the main project here with my pistol build, but I should be getting back to the rest of the armor pretty soon. Looking around the shop, all I need to make at this point are the boots and the larger torso armor.

Stay tuned...

Wow that looks so amazing, and theres something about that visor that absolutely I love. Its so goldish :lol Now I'm going to have to read this whole thread to find out how you made it or where you got it from. Again, great job so far!

After reading the thread for a while, apparently you made that visor. Now will they only fit on your style/size helmet or could they be modded to fit in a smaller helmet. Like a 26.5 cm FS high def helm. If so, I'm wondering do you plan on making any extra visors? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back