Torso and Fiberglass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
Well, unlike most people I have started on the chest and backpack first and have a question. How many layers of fiberglass should I put on the inside? I have put on one thick layer of Resin on the outside, and one thikc layer of Resin with fiberglass on the inside but it is still not as stable as I want.

I'm not new when it comes to fiberglass (I build ship models) by the way.
 
How about a heavier grade of 'glass inside and the lighter stuff outside so you don't lose too much detail and have so much sanding to do?
 

Nicktendo

Well-Known Member
Since I've heard people do up to 3 or so layers on the inside of the helmet, I'd say at least 3 on the inside of the torso. I know I want my armor to be nice and thick, and not resemble paper at all, so that's what I'm doing. I might even find another way to pad the inside... Who knows.
 

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
Nicktendo said:
Since I've heard people do up to 3 or so layers on the inside of the helmet, I'd say at least 3 on the inside of the torso. I know I want my armor to be nice and thick, and not resemble paper at all, so that's what I'm doing. I might even find another way to pad the inside... Who knows.
Yeah same here. I have to run up to Autozone and pick up some cloth. I just used what I had left from my last ship that I built. I want my armor to look nice, not look like a bunch of paper.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Motive8

Jr Member
I would not glass the outside.If you want glass only on the inside then 2-3,if you want to make it rigid and lightwieght i used 1 layer of glass then i sprayed with weather shield low expanding foam it cured harder than great stuff foam.You have to be carefull not to load it up or youll be trimming allot of the execess off.
 

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
Motive8 said:
I would not glass the outside.If you want glass only on the inside then 2-3,if you want to make it rigid and lightwieght i used 1 layer of glass then i sprayed with weather shield low expanding foam it cured harder than great stuff foam.You have to be carefull not to load it up or youll be trimming allot of the execess off.
What brand of foam is that and where did you get it? Also how much is it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Motive8

Jr Member
Foam brand name is Wheather Shield its a home hardware branded product its about 8 bucks for 12 0z can.I think the key is its low expanding foam making it more dense and its not to be used on window frames because it can bow windows.i belive Great stuff comes in 2 flavors cant remember what i tried but it was like soft foam when cured.
 

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
Motive8 said:
Foam brand name is Wheather Shield its a home hardware branded product its about 8 bucks for 12 0z can.I think the key is its low expanding foam making it more dense and its not to be used on window frames because it can bow windows.i belive Great stuff comes in 2 flavors cant remember what i tried but it was like soft foam when cured.
So, I could find something like it at a Home Depot or Lows or something?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Motive8

Jr Member
Home Depot might have there own branded foam,i have seen Great Stuff there to.Home Hardware is a Canadian store but the product is made in the USA.Just try Low expanding (meaning it will expand 25% rather than 50 or 75%)keeping it dense.
and more ridged.
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
One thing people mistake is when you get fibeglass on the peice, you need to resin over it, make sure you glob resin and make the giberglass nearly invisible, you dont want to be able to see it with a silverish color, it should be the same color as resin.
 

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
Exactly... Basically you are trying to soak the cloth with the resin... When you do that it will seem to sorta stick to the piece... and yes, it will become a brownish shaded color... :\... Maybe I'll make a video on how I did mine... :p
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Even after "fiberglassing" the way the resin can says to, it wont be max strength, glob resin over the fiberglass, it sandwhiches the fiberglass against resin with resin and makes it super strong, my chest peice is strong enough to be dropped and kicked without being damaged or cracked, I wouldnt sit on it like spase did because I left the lower armpit peice unglassed, I wanted it still endable so I could velcro it on and off easily, top shoulders has straps for it to come on and off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top