Total Cost Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laudani

I'm looking for supplys at the moment (only planning to make a helmet) and I was wondering what was the average cost everyone was spending for their armor stuffs.

So far this is what I've bought for my helmet:

20 Sheets of Card Stock 7.50

Fiberglass Resin Quart 15.50

Liquid Hardener 4.50

Total Cost (so far) 27.50

After I get the helmet resin'd the first time, then I was planning on getting the fiberglass.

( P.S. Did I spend too much for anything? How much does fiberglass go for? )

Laudani said:
I'm looking for supplys at the moment (only planning to make a helmet) and I was wondering what was the average cost everyone was spending for their armor stuffs.

Liquid Hardener 4.50

After I get the helmet resin'd the first time, then I was planning on getting the fiberglass.

a pint would have been enough but u still need cloth and bondo if i were you i would return the quart for a pint and get some fiberglss cloth and filler :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, If you get the right resin... It should say with Hardener... And inside the cap there is a tube of hardener in it...

Just thought it might save you some money...

Laudani said:

Liquid Hardener 4.50

Well dude it depends if you want top notch pepakura quality armor that wont even look like pepakura when its done but will look pro then it will cost you about the mid hundreds if you want just good quality and not just cheap or too expensive maybe low hundreds. If you are a cheapskape and like everything cheap maybe 50-80. So it really depends on what armor you want. Personally i would love to have top notch armor and so i can brag.

on the card stock i think you paid way too much for 20 sheets

but what ive paid for so far is

200 sheets for $10
fiberglass (everything) $27
spot puddy $5

and that got me a helmet and alot left over and all that is in USD

Things You NEED-
Cardstock
Resin
Fiberglass
Sandpaper
Visor
Paint

-------
Optional Things For Best Quality-
Primer
Clear Coat
Dual Visor
Clay/Bondo
LED's
Dremmel
Split Loom :)
Spandex Under Suit (or equivilant)

this does not include things you may need for the job..
shop rags,
resperator,
brushes,
xacto knife,
glue,
latex gloves.

so depending on what you already have, you can cut cost, id say typically a good quality result can be done for around $115.00 to $170.00
hopefully for me i can get mine done before halloween, we have a costume contest every year and the winner gets $100.00, last year i got 2nd place as Trigun. :)

Get your visor before you resin or fiberglass it. It will be a lot easier to make some alterations to the paper model before it is resined.

heres what my new helemt is owing me....

latex gloves $4
F1 sandpaper $1.20
400 grit wet and dry $1.20
brushes $4
fiberglass kit $16
expanding foam $20
dremel $50
putty filler/primer $10
400 shhets of card stock $6
body filler $12
face mask $20
paint $7
extera resin +hardener $16

so about.....$167.40

and i need 2 visors....bout $60
more body filler $12
bits-and-bobs for detail $15
and LED's $20

so all together my helmet wil set me back about

$274.4

Damien said:
yes, and a mask. YOU CAN NEVER SPEND TO MUCH MONEY ON SAFETY EQUIPTMENT!

I haven't been using one of them respirators... But I'm fine... I just picked up one of them face or mouth covering ones... It says fiberglassing on it... :p

~ Mac

Yes, well, it is better then nothing, but they only really protect against nuisance dust; while a respirator (with the proper cartridges) will provide better protection.

Cha*man said:
Yes, well, it is better then nothing, but they only really protect against nuisance dust; while a respirator (with the proper cartridges) will provide better protection.

I think I have spent $15 on paint brushes... How do you clean them... When I've tried they have just hardened up on me?

~ Mac

The brushes are essentially disposable so try to get a lot of them cheap.

Harbor Frieght Tools has good deals on cases of brushes.

Wal-Mart also has a pretty good 8 for $5 deal.

Ya, the brushes are done for once they've been used with resin.

Get them in bulk and get them cheap; you want to avoid ones that shed, but aside from that, get the cheapest you can.
You aren't looking at applying a smooth coat, you will have to sand to get that no matter how careful you are;
you're just looking at transfering the resin to the piece.

Cha*man said:
Ya, the brushes are done for once they've been used with resin.

Get them in bulk and get them cheap; you want to avoid ones that shed, but aside from that, get the cheapest you can.
You aren't looking at applying a smooth coat, you will have to sand to get that no matter how careful you are;
you're just looking at transfering the resin to the piece.

I buy brushes that are $0.88 for the 1-1/2" and $0.68 for 1" brush... I bought 7 yesterday... 3 1" and 4 1-1/2"

Also for Resin and Hardener... Since it comes together was only about $11 for me... I wonder why your is so high?

And I ended up buy 2 100 packs of card stock and that was between $16 - $18 all together... Because I bought one to start with... and then I ran out...

So here I'm gonna lay this out:

2 100 pack of cardstock: $16-$18
2 Cans of Fiberglass resin: $22
3 2 packs of double sided tape: $15
All the Paint brushes: $12
1 Can of Primer: $4
1 Sanding sponge: $3
The gloves I bought that I'm gonna use for the suit: $15
1 2 pack of Sanding mask (just one of those small ones): $7
1 Pack of Fiberglass Mat Cloth: $5
The Chance to Wear a suit around to places: Priceless

Total: About $120

(I think that's wrong because my wallet begs to differ)

wow i dont even use a respirator and when i applied resin i used a recept from something earlier that i puchased just dab it in resin then applied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back