Totally new to making armor, and i need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt eater

Sorry everybody, I am totally new to making armor, so I may sound stupid in this thread. I would like to make cardboard Master Chief armor that looks good. I am overwhelmed and I don't know where to start, or how to make the cardboard armor look as detailed as possible. I really hope I am not sounding rude or anything. I have looked around on the forum at other tutorials and they have helped me, but I am still confused at where to start, or what steps to take, because most of them are about pep armor, not cardboard.

Thank you so much! :)

Hi, first off, welcome to the forums. Second, if you plan on making cardboard armor, firstly, yous ohuld have some decent experience working with cardboard so you dont just go "I feel like making cardboard MC armor" and trying to build something completely randomly with no skills what so ever, you should start with something simpler than Mc armor (trust me I tried it as my first cardboard project, didnt go so good) try something that already has a tutorial such as the Boba/Jango Fett tutorial on instructables.com, that way you can print out the plans for it, build it so you have some better experience, then you should begin your MC armor, and I suggest starting with the helmet, just to get it out of the way, and for better experience. Sorry for the long post = ) - Ice

Thanks so much Ice, I will try out the Boba Fett armor first. One more question, does pep armor require alot of experience too? I read the tutorials on it, and I may try this if beginners can actually make it look half-way decent. I am a pretty good artist, I just have never made armor before.
Thanks again!

The assembley of it doesn't, but if you Bondo it it could take some experience. (and lots of sanding :mad: )

does pep armor require alot of experience too?
No, pepakura is exactly like doing a jigsaw puzzle. all it requires is patience. once you have it folded and strengthened it serves as a perfect base for you to sculpt detail on to.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem Grunt Eater, I like to have people get eased into cardboard armor making and not have them just say " im going to build something" then when they try, its like hitting a brick wall trying to build it when its to advanced. - Ice

I think you should do pep armor, unless you are really good at cardboard. I've only seen a couple of cardboard pieces that look very good, where there are plenty of pep pieces that look good. Pep is like making a 3D puzzle, except you have to cut out the pieces first, and then use glue.

Pep does usually require a *little* experience, such as making a size tester model or two just to get the hang of it. If you're patient, and have read all the stickies, you should do fine. :D
The only thing that can be challenging is if you choose to bondo and smooth it after you strengthen it (detail and smooth it. It looks better if done well.)

Now if you do choose to try cardboard, I don't really have any advice, other than try the Boba Fett helmet or something first.
HERE is the link to the cardboard Boba Fett helmet on instructables.com

On a completely unrelated note, 300th post :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back