Transformers Soundwave WIP <Pic Heavy>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings fellow botheads!! :)

The following WIP began two weeks prior to Halloween, when an open schedule finally allowed for the creation of my son's long awaited G1 Soundwave costume. We intend for the suit to be finished by BOTCON (late May/early June), and as there are many facets to this project it will probably take until then to complete. The major pieces did come together in time for the holiday, instead of posting 50 pictures outlining each piece's construction as worn on Halloween, I will be posting compartmentalized updates from here out focusing on each individual piece from start to finish.

For those of you that are unfamiliar, this is Soundwave; doing what Soundwave does best:
soundwave_drum_and_bass.jpg

Soundwave is the Decepticon communications officer, and he has always been among my favorite Cybertronians. When Orion stated he would like to wear the mask of SW, I was ecstatic. The following sketch outlines our tribute to that most honored of Robots:
IMG_3574.jpg

The original components, two weeks prior to halloween:
IMG_3557.jpg

Throughout the Transformers cannon, Soundwave has relied on the use of 'Minicons', small Cybertronians that transform into cassette tapes for storage inside his tape deck. We did not have time to build any minicons for Halloween, but Laserbeak and Ratbat will be featured at BOTCON. We did however get started on the internal architecture to house the minicons:
IMG_3616.jpg

Orion's little sister Roslynn was really excited about the costume, her demeanor and perspective on life would make any Decepticon proud lol. If this enthusiasm continues I am considering to make a minicon outfit for her to wear at BOTCON..
IMG_3945.jpg

The weather held just long enough to strengthen critical pieces with the fiber glass / resin method, however there was not time before Halloween to add a bondo finish. We simply painted the areas that were smooth enough, adding a layer of blue poster board to the areas that were not. The effect was very nice, and when the weather breaks in the spring we will finish fiber-glassing the entire costume for BOTCON.
IMG_3807.jpg

Phase 1 of the tape deck and helm, one week prior to Halloween.
IMG_3723.jpg

For techno-junkies such as myself, simply creating an image of Soundwave does not pay apt tribute to his greatness. Therefore, Orion and I decided off rip that he should be able to play music in some capacity, adding two 9v 3.6 watt speakers to the original shoulder arrangement, supplied w MP3 via an old blackberry storm to be housed in the left gauntlet.. Great idea - for making your kid def lol.. So we decided to make the backpack into a speaker housing so as to project the sound safely away from his ears. As the backpack was already sealed up by this point we decided to exclude sound for Halloween. We did manage to get 5 of the led's wired in though.
IMG_3584.jpg

Because of the parade rules <see below> we decided to wait on finishing the shoulder cannon, creating instead two shoulder pieces representing a dual compact disc upgrade. Hahaha, so far as the pic itself, lets just say no one in the Duran household is happy when the play station network goes down!! <PSN ID: Teslacron_Prime (for u fellow WFC/DOTM players out there!>
IMG_4035.jpg

Halloween Parade!! Orion's school does not allow the use of props that resemble weapons, masks, or pretty much anything else righteous; therefore we could not attach the shoulder cannon, and in lieu of the helm he borrowed my aerospace headset for the event. None-the-less it was hands down the best outfit there and no shortage of kids nor parents came up to us afterword!
IMG_3825.jpg

Side view of the Parade configuration.
IMG_3826.jpg

The internal harness connecting the tape deck and the backpack broke right at the end of the parade, and in the hours directly following I rebuilt the harness at Joanne Fabrics. The new configuration mimics a low altitude parachute. <note: the pad assemblies were fine, only the D-ring assemblies and nylon webbing were added directly prior to trick or treating>
IMG_4032.jpg

Pieces as worn on Halloween:
IMG_3853.jpg

So that is round one of our Soundwave WIP, it was honestly my first real attempt at costuming, so any and all feedback is appreciated!

<additional pictures on Facebook (public album): Soundwave WIP>

Thank you for viewing, stay tuned for updates :)

v/r

JD

look real good dude... i like the classic style, but you should real get a piece of cardboard to cover the bicep... it would really give a more accurate suit to match your drawing.

(and maybe something on the thighs, but other than that it all looks great dude!)

thank you! we are indeed constructing the pieces you mentioned for BOTCON. given the work schedule there was only so much that could be finished in the limited time before halloween. (now whether he will actually wear the pieces on the thigh is another matter, we had to cut the feet off for trick or treating LOL)

Are you stealing my thoughts while I sleep!

Awesome build as I stated before! I was also planning to put some speakers in my daughters suit. I'm thinking of using her Ipod to play Soundwave music. I have planned to make a backpack where her speakers will go as well as most of the electronics that I plan on putting in the suit.

I've planned on making her a Lazerbeak that I didn't tell her about yet and was even thinking of dressing our dog as Ravage.

By the way did you name your kids after Transformers?!

Now your stealing my thoughts lol! I too was planning on making some kind of accessories for our dog Sirius <jet black lab> ...

So far as the name, no, Orion is not named for Orion Pax - but for Orion the Hunter <same as the constellation>, as his dog's name is Sirius after the protector - both legends from the same Greek myth..

So far as lazerbeak i think my daughter will be him for BOTCON..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back