Trying To Salvage Starfox Headpiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

sula nebouxi

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say I love the forums here and it's helped me so much making costumes. I know this isn't Halo related but I know this is *the*place to get advice. I've been making some armor for a costume of Fox from Starfox. This guy here:

videocallsnapshot74.png

It's my first time making something out of aqua resin and fiberglass and I think I screwed up horribly. I knew something was wrong when I started using the Aqua resin. I wish I found some tutorials of how to correctly use this thing before diving in. Here's what it looks like right now.

img1721.jpg

I used the fiberglass strands and mixed it in with the Aqua Resin mixture(girl at the store told me that's how it was done). It's dried and I need to salvage it. The inside structure has no fiberglass. It's all on the outside. I want to cut the inward-facing layer out and fiberglass the interior to reinforce it. However, I'm not sure about the outside. Should I keep going? Can I salvage this?

I really need some help! Thanks guys :)

I would recommend a quick search of google on fiberlass lay-up techniques. The general idea is that fiberglass is laid out on the piece and then "wetted" down using the resin and a tapping not painting motion. I really like product you have so far and think it can be salvaged. there are a couple good youtube videos related to speaker eclosure design, it looks like you have chopped strand mat that you are using... do not mix this with the resin before you apply it to the piece, simply tear off a peice of mat and then hold this to your part and tap the resin into the mat until it "wets" down to the part. it is not an abomination to use 3m spray adhesive to tack mat all over your part and then wet it down all at once, you will simply have more irregularity to the surface, for a better surface finish crush down the fibers and resin with a smooth roller or a piece of glass (preferably one dedicated only to this purpose).

Check out this tut: Pepakura Fiberglass and Smoothing Tutorial

Your piece is salvagable. Just take your time and read over the tutorials in "Pepakura and Cardboard Armor" in the "Creation Discussion" Forum.

Generally what you want to do is mix your resin and add at least two coats to your project. after that you then start to add your fiberglass cloth, matt or fibers (whatever you choose to use) in a couple of layers.

Once you have resined the outside completely you can use something like expanding foam to fill the inside (Black Rose has a good tut on that). Just read all the stickies and take your time.

I know you can do it! Post more pics as you progress. Good Luck!

welcome to the forums.

your piece is salvagable. I have heard that regular fiberglass mat and aqua resin will work but sometimes it dose something to the aqua resin you supposed to get some aqua resin mat or something. I remember somebody doing a tut on aqua resin on here.I would recommend using the link Jedi posted.and when your mixing it together make sure you read the directions on the tub or what ever it comes in, and make sure its evenly mixed. Just some tips that i forgot my first time fiber glassing. if you need any other help you ca pm me or any of the Q&A team :)

Hope all goes well

Th3 FETT MAN

Thanks a bunch guys! I knew I should have looked at some tutorials for exact step by step instructions. Of course I had to go and think it was as simple as "mix it together and slap it on!". I'll give it another go :). Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back