Trying To Work Around Cardstock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boba Fett

MY printer is super-wimpy, and doesn't handle cardstock real well. Plus, my dad doesn't want me putting anything much over 30lb in there, so I'm stuck with flimsy paper. I'm wondering, is there a way to reinforce the inside of a helmet so it won't sag once I hit it with resin? I'm building an ODST helmet for a friend, and I'm trying to make that nice curve on top stay that way. I have 2 ideas, first, make the entire helmet in sheet stryene, using the paper as templates. Ok, but expensive. In the long run, resin's cheaper. (I plan on making a LOT more stuff in the future...) Or, I was thinking the hot glue method. If I can make the approximate shape of the curve in either thick paper, cardboard, or plastic, do you guys think the hot glue would warp to death? Or, could I throw a layer of glue down, then gently heat it from the inside and bend it back into shape. Time-consuuming, but I really don't have much more of a choice. Could anyone help out? I did a search, and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for any help! I'll post pics of the helmet onece it's fully pepped.

DOH!!!! :eek SHoulda thought of that... MY only fear is warping the stock though. I use tacky glue, but will that start to kill the shape of the stock? Or just throw it under my dictionary...

I'd say just pick up a glue-stick, you know the old-school kind that they make for kids they don't trust not to eat paste :pThat shouldn't warp the card stock, but I'd say give it time to dry. If you can save up the money a cheap printer can run ~$60 (I know that's out of the range for some people) but that way if the printer breaks its not your parent's one. I use a cheap one and it works fine (but I have to load one sheet at a time)

I was thinking that, but my dad got layed off recently and cash is rather tight. (Figures I get into an expensive hobby the minute we DON'T have money! )Yeah, the gluestick should work fine. Thanks for your help! I'll complete the regular ODST helmet anyway so I can experiment, but this has really helped. Thanks man!

Someone did an expeirment here not too long ago (which I can't seem to find at the moment) with gorilla glue sandwiched between two pieces of cardstock to make the parts stronger. This may work for you, but as with your other options, it sounds time consuming.

Got PLENTY of time on my hands, (except for the hours of homework... arrgh!) so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: spray adhesive? Like that 3M stuff? Hmmm... *Evil plans form in my mind*

h, if you have the money, go to wal-mart and buy a Lexmark all-in-one printer (mine was $30) it handles the 110 cardstock easy.

Even $30 is pushing it. If I get more involved in making these things, it'll be worth the investment, but I'm stretching myself as it is to pick up the paper and resin. Plus bondo. But really all, thanks for your help! The noob is happy! ;)

Have you considered trying to use a printer at school? If you describe what your doing as large scale origami to an art teacher they will probably be more than happy to help you.

Ummmmm................. I AM using my school printer! ;) I'm homeschooled, and it's pretty cool. I might be able to get my friend to do it... hmmm...

If you are going to have to glue the regular paper to the card-stock I would check out your local comic shop and see about comic book back boards, they are a LOT more sturdy than the 110 stuff

Maybe you could go to a public library? The libraries I've been in have no problem with people printing off random crap, but they charge 5 cents a page after 10 pages...

Edit: I did a cheap helmet a while back for about $40 (mostly spent on paint, a glue gun, paper, etc). It's in my sig. Unfortunately, if you want to do better than that, you'll have to spend a lot more.

You could also try coating the backside of your printed Pep pieces with hot glue.

Spray adhesive is nasty to work with indoors, I'd suggest rubber cement. coat the piece of cardstock, and the back of the printoff, allow to dry, then carefully place together and squish. Not as nasty as spray, but it stinks to high heaven. Open a window when doing such :)

A can of 3M spray adhesive will allow you to laminate your print outs together with sheets of cardstock. Just be sure to let them dry out before you start cutting.

I'd spray the cardstock with a thin layer and then place the print overtop. This should avoid warping. Also be sure to work outside if you choose this method. Spray mount is nasty stuff and on top of being dangerous as a substance, will make anything around your work area very sticky (I speak from experience). I'd avoid things like rubber cement, PVA, or any other liquid glue because (unless you have a lot of experience working with them) they tend to cause paper to warp. I'd be especially concerned about the 24lb standard inkjet paper getting soggy.

Either that or I'd bring some 110lb over to a friend's place and hijack their printer for a little bit. Buying them a new black ink cartridge may be worth the money to save the aggravation of having to spray mount all those sheets together.

I have a spraybooth for airbrushing plastic models, so the spray stuff isn't too much of a problem. But yes, I'll try to fit it in before the snow comes... Wisconsin is either really nice, or really horrible. The library may work... My friend's mom is the head librarian. so I should be able to get that in. Once again, thanks for all suggestions!!!

Well, this thread has been helpful, thank you all. I think I've found a temporary solution though. While working on my test pep of my ODST helm, dad and I were home alone eating TV dinners and watching Star Trek (is there anything more to life?) Well, As I was about tho throw the boxes out, I thought thay they'll amke the perfect reinforcement for thin paper. I'll be trying this out on a recon helmet I'll be printing out soon. Will post a thread later. But once again, thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back