TurboCharizard's Halo 3 Marine

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RMO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Work has been dumb so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I would have liked recently but hey, Pilot Helmet update.

If you guys are familiar with how I'm dumb and will just entirely redo something if it's not to a level I'm happy with, I present you the reason why I designed a new helmet. The one in The Armory is kind of right? It's missing some key details and some things are embossed when they should be debossed but it's a good rough estimate and would be a fun exercise in kit bashing and free-handing detail.
1598588331152.png


I then went into Halo 3 MCC PC and got this. It's... also not great.
1598588517258.png


Then I went into Theater Mode and went to get as many angles as possible on the Hornet Pilot (and totally not play a few levels). RandomRanger if you'd like me to start a Hornet Pilot Reference thread I can do the thing!
image845.png image856.png image867.png image878.png image889.png image900.png
image911.png image922.png image933.png image944.png image955.png

From these I built up some canvases in Fusion360 and started going to work on making my own lid. The mouthpiece of this helmet makes very little sense and I'm sure folks on the Discord are tired of hearing me talk about how it's a weird mix of things that kind of came out looking okay but only from a distance. If you get up real close on a Pilot in game you start noticing that things get real fuzzy real quick. For the fuzzy parts I did a best guess and kept things consistent as best I could.
PilotHelm1.png
PilotHelm2.png
PilotHelm3.png
PilotHelm4.png


I have the print so that it can be done in two shells (fwd and aft) on a Tevo Tornado with a separate pair of semi-transparent red indicators as well as a vacuum forming buck for the visor. I just through the front half through my slicer and it's going to be around a 40 hour print so I should have a test helmet done before the weekend is out.
Untitled.png


Work is hopefully only going to be a pain for another two to three weeks and hopefully I can get some time in for foam building!
 

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RMO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Test print of the lid is good! I could make it a bit tighter in on my head if I made the neck panel removable but as is I have about a 8-10mm buffer around my head which is perfect for setting pads to keep the helmet in place. Overall it's comparable to my ODST lid but with a bonus over-sized chin/mouth thing.
DSC_7341.JPG


Standard kawaii-Daisy pose of trying on a new helmet.
DSC_7343.JPG
 

ODCA

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
it took me longer than expected... but I finished the helmet unfold for foam
I tried unfolding the file on pepakura as it was sent to me, here's an illustration of how that worked out
19358196-office-worker-businessman-with-computer-problems-or-very-fast-internet-computer-smoke...jpg
pepakura designer basically froze for a full day, and progressed the unfold process from 34% to 35% , so I had to reduce the polygons (even more than TurboCharizard already did)
while keeping the model in the best resolution as possible
this was, WAY easier than i thought it would end up being, i just opened the model on 3D builder and selected the "simplify" option
the unfold after that was pretty straightforward

Screenshot (176).png


there's only one issue with the unfold that can be solved easily a after printing the file

After reducing the polygons, some of them merged together, so the upper back piece, has a weird zig zag pattern on it
to fix it, you would only need to re dray the middle lines as a slight curve, in order to get a better seam
 

Attachments

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RMO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
it took me longer than expected... but I finished the helmet unfold for foam
I tried unfolding the file on pepakura as it was sent to me, here's an illustration of how that worked out
View attachment 295639
pepakura designer basically froze for a full day, and progressed the unfold process from 34% to 35% , so I had to reduce the polygons (even more than TurboCharizard already did)
while keeping the model in the best resolution as possible
this was, WAY easier than i thought it would end up being, i just opened the model on 3D builder and selected the "simplify" option
the unfold after that was pretty straightforward

View attachment 295640

there's only one issue with the unfold that can be solved easily a after printing the file

After reducing the polygons, some of them merged together, so the upper back piece, has a weird zig zag pattern on it
to fix it, you would only need to re dray the middle lines as a slight curve, in order to get a better seam
So honestly ODCA you're amazing and once Infinite drops we need to team up and just make everything!
 

Rock Lobbster

Member
it took me longer than expected... but I finished the helmet unfold for foam
I tried unfolding the file on pepakura as it was sent to me, here's an illustration of how that worked out
View attachment 295639
pepakura designer basically froze for a full day, and progressed the unfold process from 34% to 35% , so I had to reduce the polygons (even more than TurboCharizard already did)
while keeping the model in the best resolution as possible
this was, WAY easier than i thought it would end up being, i just opened the model on 3D builder and selected the "simplify" option
the unfold after that was pretty straightforward



there's only one issue with the unfold that can be solved easily a after printing the file

After reducing the polygons, some of them merged together, so the upper back piece, has a weird zig zag pattern on it
to fix it, you would only need to re dray the middle lines as a slight curve, in order to get a better seam
Now that's a clean unfold! Absolutely stunning job.
 
Top