Tutorial: How To Make Good Folds For Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only issue that I have with using an Exacto knife for making score lines is that not everyone has the ability to apply a LITTLE pressure to the paper with the knife. How many times have you either not gotten the score good enough or almost cut through the cardstock by putting a bit TOO much pressure? That's the benefit of using the seam ripper that I had suggested. Every pass with it results in the same exact result. Same result as with a pen, except you don't have the colored line on your paper.

Greg said:
The only issue that I have with using an Exacto knife for making score lines is that not everyone has the ability to apply a LITTLE pressure to the paper with the knife. How many times have you either not gotten the score good enough or almost cut through the cardstock by putting a bit TOO much pressure? That's the benefit of using the seam ripper that I had suggested. Every pass with it results in the same exact result. Same result as with a pen, except you don't have the colored line on your paper.

Never Greg.
I don't push down. On 110lb card stock, simply dragging it across the ruler is sufficient enough to produce perfect folds.

I've done probably 6,000 scores or more, and never once even came close to scoring through.

Last edited by a moderator:
quixand_prop said:
Never Greg.
I don't push down. On 110lb card stock, simply dragging it across the ruler is sufficient enough to produce perfect folds.

I've done probably 6,000 scores or more, and never once even came close to scoring through.

Point being...YOU may have perfect score lines every single time by using an Exacto knife, but that doesn't mean than everyone else will have your obvious success rate. I think that there is room in this thread for at least a COUPLE of options, isn't there? I've done some very detailed paper models over the past couple of years and with the assistance of others have been able to hone my craft and learn some of the little things that can really make the difference when building with paper/cardstock. I think that everyone should remain open to suggestions here, as that is what is going to help everyone in the long run. I myself have done scoring with an Exacto knife in the past. But, with the suggestion from a seasoned veteran of paper models, I have found the tool that works the best in my situation with a result that can be duplicated every single time. Yours is the Exacto...mine is the seam ripper.

just recently I bought a seam ripper at my nearest fabric store, and to my surprise I found that I work quite well, just as Greg had explained. I think all you other pepakura users who have never used a seam ripper should try it, you'll be pleased with the results.

To finish the whole x-acto knife debate, score with the BLUNT side. X-acto knives have a blunt side and a sharp side, most of the time. If you score with the blunt, it works fine, and doesn't cut.

That being said, I've been using a seam ripper for ages, and it's the way to go. Think I accidently brought it home way back in junior high and have managed to keep track of it in the years since.

xzgreedzx said:
iceman nice tut first of all [btw riddick kicks ass] im makein helmet atm i will use your folding method for it

LOL, I know Riddick is pretty sweet.

Thanks and good luck on your helmet ;)

Iceman29 said:
NEW UPDATES AS OF 11/24/07

PICTURE'S ARE STILL ON THEIR WAY!!!!!!!
First off ~wo0t wo0t 50th post~ Anyways, do you mean the updates will be on the first post, or will they be located on this page and on...? - Ice

Thank you! I've been looking for a thread like this! Thanks to you, im almost done with my helmet! So thank you!
This is great! :lol:

p.s. i'm using the first tutorial!

Great tut first of all.

i used to use my exacto knife to score folds, but it really messes up the blade quickly, and sometimes i dont know if i scored it or not.

i am starting to use pen, and it is looking great!

oh, and also, try to NEVER fold with just your hands. I failed, and it looks pretty bad.

just some advice.

DOnt start with anything too hard, try making a halo 2 helmet, but read more guides, and make sure you use CARDSTOCK, not printer paper.

fist mistake using printer paper for a start

2nd mistake using hot glue as a streangthener

DSCN0235.jpg

Alright. About this whole mountain valley fold dealio, I need to know how I tell the two apart, not just what colors to make them. Sorry if I sound demanding because that is not my intent. Thanks guys.

AshdownMenace said:
Alright. About this whole mountain valley fold dealio, I need to know how I tell the two apart, not just what colors to make them. Sorry if I sound demanding because that is not my intent. Thanks guys.
Did you even read this thread? The answer to your question is on the first page. Read all the posts on the first page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back