Tutorial: How To Make Good Folds For Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman29

Pepakura Folding Tutorial

This is a tutorial on how to fold the lines on Pepakura correctly and clean.

1. The supplies for this folding method that you will need are:
- 2 pens (try using 2 different colors) (EX: Red & Black)
- 1 ruler (metal rulers work best for this)

2. First you must assign the pens to a certain fold. (remember you must keep them the same through out the process)

Example:

Red Pen = Valley fold lines
untitled00.jpg

Black Pen = Mountain fold lines
untitled.jpg

**NOTE: In some cases it is seen that a models valley fold and mountain fold line style is swapped to the opposite line style**

3. Cut out the piece you are going to be folding.

4. Set up the Ruler so it is parallel to the line you are going to score, make sure that it is a bit close, as seen here:
noname.jpg

5. Then, your going to want to take the pen you assigned to valley fold or mountain fold and go over the line 3 or 4 times pressing semi hard with the ruler as a guide to keeping the pen straight and on the original line.
noname1.jpg

6. Once you have done that, you may fold the paper accordingly to come out as a nice clean fold.

VALLEY FOLD
noname2.jpg

MOUNTAIN FOLD
noname-1.jpg

Pepakura Folding Tutorial Option #2

*CAUTION* This next folding technique requires the use of sharp utensil's so please be very careful upon doing this.
( I am not responsible for any injury's that can occur! )

This next tutorial is for all you veteran folders out there who don't feel the need to use pens in order to fold your armor.
(So if you are a first time folder I suggest you look at the first tutorial of this topic to learn more.)

Alright then, some of the things your going to need for this procedure are:
-An X-acto Knife
-a couple of spare X-acto blades
-One metal ruler
-Something to work on that will not allow the pressure of scoring to bleed through onto a nice table/counter top.

1. First, cut out the piece that you will be scoring.

2. Next, Position the piece so that there is enough room to move your X-acto knife and arms freely.

3. Then, taking the Blunt or sharp side of the X-acto knife, you'll need to gently make a small crease, using the ruler as a guide. Its your choice on whether or not to use the blunt or sharp side, but my advice is to use the blunt side, to ensure that you don't cut the flap off.
(DON'T PUSH TO HARD OR YOUR FLAP MAY COME OFF! *REMEMBER* YOUR NOT USING PENS ANYMORE, SO IT'S IMPORTANT TO REALIZE HOW MUCH PRESSURE YOU ARE PUTTING INTO YOUR SCORE.)
noname3.jpg

4. After you have done your score you may now fold your paper to its proper shape.

noname4.jpg

UPDATED AS OF 1/13/09

Last edited by a moderator:
yup, thats what I was going for.

especially when I saw all of this Pepakura Armor everyone was making, and how bad the folding was. I just had to teach everyone the art of folding.

You and I came up with the same idea, so I have a couple things to add.

First, I recommend a metal ruler (which I see you used but didn't mention). You'd be surprised at what constant tracing will do to a plastic ruler. I never thought it was possible to wear out a protractor.

Second, it helps to have something underneath your pattern pieces as you trace to get a nice, deep score. This can be a piece of cardboard or a couple pieces of cardstock. Just make sure what you're using doesn't have too much give because otherwise your lines will start curving slightly.

SPARTAN-094 said:
Ok, I have a question on Mountain and Valley folds do you fold Valley Down and Mountain Up right?

No, you fold Valley Folds up so that it looks like a valley ( it slopes down)

Mountain Folds go down because they form a mountain shape

Just look here

Mountain folds are in Black
Valley Folds are in Red

6.jpg

Iceman29 said:
SPARTAN-094 said:
Ok, I have a question on Mountain and Valley folds do you fold Valley Down and Mountain Up right?

No, you fold Valley Folds up so that it looks like a valley ( it slopes down)

Mountain Folds go down because they form a mountain shape

Just look here

Mountain folds are in Black
Valley Folds are in Red

I see thanks for clearing things up

Poor Iceman, little do you know that even with a sticky thread tutorial everyone will still PM you.

This is a nice tutorial, though. I scored my first armor with an X-Acto knife instead of a pen. I was pretty scared about cutting through the paper, but it never happened.

I use a metal ruler for my armor and I guess its a graphite ruler because it leaves big streaks all over what I'm folding.So make sure your ruler isn't graphite lol.

Pepakura Helmate:80%
Pepakura Chest:0%
Pepakura Legs:0%
Pepakura Arms:0%
Pepakura AR:0%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back