Tutorial: How To Make Good Folds For Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um how much of an angle should I Fold each peace because im cutting out first and than yea folding and gluing later so im not sure which peacies fold lightly or like almost 90 degrees.

So, probably a dumb question but I've been having a problem with some of the pieces to my ODST helmet's construction.

Howtocut.jpg
I've come across a few folding issues like this, these are located facing the front but on the side of the helmet...there's a smaller one on each side followed by larger variations below these on each side as well. 3 pieces in total each. How exactly do I go about with these as my first attempt caused me to go brain dead and thus having to print out new pieces. So this is attempt number 2 now.

I can't really progress through the rest of the helmet's facial until I get these 6 pieces together. Then later on I'll probably have the post about the top of the helmet lol. But just this for now!

First off, I sincerely apologize if this is considered "necro," or if this has been addressed elsewhere in this thread (admittedly, I didn't read every post... there was some argument/drama around page 3 that I skipped past, and I may have missed it), but I wanted to contribute some tips. If you're using Pepakura Designer and using a color printer, you can color the fold lines BEFORE you print, so you don't have to deal with pens at all.

Fourth button from the left, on the second toolbar line... if you hover your mouse cursor over it it says "Set Edge Color Ctrl+E." First, un-check every option except "Mountain," and select a color (I chose red). Then, paint EVERY mountain fold line on the piece. Un-checking the other options is important because it will restrict your coloring selection options to only the mountain folds. Follow the same procedure for valley folds (un-check all except Valley), but choose a different color (I chose blue for valley folds). After that, you may print, score, cut, fold, and glue as normal.

Yes, it's a fairly laborious process, but much less so than coloring with pens and scoring separately. It saved me a good deal of time in the long run. I was doing scoring and marking in the same step because I just couldn't countenance going over the same line twice manually. Originally I began using "micro" point pens (0.5 mm), but I found those to not be precise enough, and finer points were too delicate, and bent under the rigors of scoring. This way I don't have to worry about ruining pens or running out of ink.

A few other tips:

Printing: If you're using this method, increasing the line weight in Pepakura helped me immensely.

Scoring: I'd like to echo that a seam ripper is perfect, but would be better if I could find one with a more ergonomic handle. I know that you can purchase an X-acto blade called a "scoring blade..." Has anyone tried this and found any success? What about other scoring tools? Someone earlier in this thread mentioned "Scor-It." Anyone else have luck there?

Gluing: I've found that a good pair of tweezers and regular old Elmer's white glue make an exceptional combination. Put a little bit of glue on the flap, and then use the tweezers to squeeze the flap to the adjoining piece. This works especially well for longer flaps if you apply a little pressure and slide the tweezers along the attach point. It adheres almost immediately, but can still be reset if it's a little bit off. Eventually I'd like to post a video of this method, which has served me EXTREMELY well.

Good luck to us all!

Well the pens ARE used to score. You must press hard with them, and your fold line will be scored.

If you don't have a dead pen on hand, that why we use 2 color pens. When you score, the color hides the mountain/valley fold line, so keeping one color for each (Mountain and one for valley) is a must.

For glue, I use fingers and hot glue ;)

Alright, but is there anywhere where I can find a tutorial on where to fold things, and how to know which parts to attach to each other?

Because I'm looking into starting the Mark VI helmet, But I'm too overwhelmed with the pepakura thing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

John.117 said:
Alright, but is there anywhere where I can find a tutorial on where to fold things, and how to know which parts to attach to each other?

Because I'm looking into starting the Mark VI helmet, But I'm too overwhelmed with the pepakura thing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Refer to this for a full how to build using pepakura http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9892

Last edited by a moderator:
ive sen vids on youtube for this thing called a Craft ROBO.

does anybody have it? iff so can you tell me iff it will help to make the folds for cardstock?

I used a scoring tool for sewing.Its like a little pizza cutter with small spikes.It perforates the line and makes it easyy to fold mts or valleys.

Some of the solid lines that you cut are really close to the valley and mountain folds.. is this a decent problem when cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back