TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many have used this method and posted pictures in their own threads, but I myself cant remember everyone's names after all these months, everyone uses the name spartan and some random numbers after that, I cant remember who is who.

sorry to jump in and change the topic thingy but i was not able to start a new topic and i'm looking for tips on my Master Chief Helm any way here are some pics and by the way, its not completely finished i still have to round some edges and paint it so yah... anyway pics below.

Can this method be done with a regular stove? I'm gonna try this since last time I did it I messed up with fiberglass.

I'm too lazy to read all five pages, and frankly don't have the time to. YuGiOh tourny in a few hours, and don't have a side deck..

Anways, I'm looking into making me a MC/DP/Marine suit to wear at the FIRST Robotics compition in march, and I'm wondering if you think this would hold up. Don't want to use fiberglass/bondo (don't wanna mess up my table, my Bondoing experiences weren't fun), so I think I'll do the hot glue.

Any tips on doing the helmet, for either the MC or either of the Daft Punk helmets?
Or what should I use there?
I also thought about some kind of glue-spray (I'm almos thinking hairspray..) that can be used to stiffen it up a bit before or after the hot gluing?

Thanks for the help, this place is great.

sxysweed said:
I'm too lazy to read all five pages, and frankly don't have the time to.
Then pepakura is not for you. This method requires tons of time and patience, which you apparently do not have. Look elsewhere for your helmet making needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
Then pepakura is not for you. This method requires tons of time and patience, which you apparently do not have. Look elsewhere for your helmet making needs.

Well Ral gave you the short and fast answer, which isn't wrong, just kinda.... blunt.

In further detail, what he means is that pepakura isn't something done in ... say a couple of hours, unless you are just making the paper part. If you want to have armor, fully wearable armor that is sturdy enough, it is gonna take some time to complete one. And if I were you, since you're too lazy to read, skim through the pages at least. There are some good information in between those pages.

Confucious T said:
Well Ral gave you the short and fast answer, which isn't wrong, just kinda.... blunt.

In further detail, what he means is that pepakura isn't something done in ... say a couple of hours, unless you are just making the paper part. If you want to have armor, fully wearable armor that is sturdy enough, it is gonna take some time to complete one. And if I were you, since you're too lazy to read, skim through the pages at least. There are some good information in between those pages.

I've realized. I'm just the sort that hates when you have to sift through a bunch of stuff to get to something usefull. I'm a forum-goer at heart, but haven't felt it much lately. I've made the full low-detail MK-1 Chest/Stomach (stomach was too small, sigh) in cardstock, but I think I'm gonna go with the Halo 2 version...

I'm gonna get around to reading it (likely 2mro, first day off school..), but hot glue coated inside, resin coated outside (in that order), it holds up fairly well?

Thanks for the help though, sorry for the noobness before.

OMG! This is a lifesaver. Parents aren't a fan of toxic fumes, and i'm just making my first armor, so i thought i'd try something, that isn't going to cost as much, plus, i am planning on doing quite a bit of movement in this armor, so i don't want to say, dive to the ground and break my 50$ worth of fiberglass in my leg piece or something. SO, thanks again!
(this isn't going to be the best armor ever or anything, im planning on using it for a little more than jsut the looks)

So one would not advise replacing resin with hot glue? Or at least not for the outside? Surely it could be made smooth with some sort of sealing-thingy (sorry, on holidays, forgetting everything...starts with a k...) Also, you've mentioned in another thread that this probably couldn't be used if you're going outside in the heat. Well I live in Queensland, Australia (Hot! Very Hot!) and I use hot glue for a lot of my projects. I've yet to see it melt from being used outdoors, in the sun.

AoBfrost said:
Because The noobs need a hero.

:p

No, I just accidentally put it here, but yes, it does sorta fit.

yes we do thanks this is perfect i live in CA so tempature should be fine

great tut man. ive been using fiberglass with fiberglass cloth but i might give this a try for my 3rd helm.

ill give you the updates as i go. thnx :)

if you bondo the outside while using hot glue on the inside, is the outside layer of bondo more susceptible to cracking since it doesnt have a more rigid base like fiberglass?
i havent used bondo before so i dont know how flexible it is

Bondo isn't flexible. I haven't tried it with the hot glue method but I'm guessing that it would be more likely to crack unless you have some very very good hot glue.

Just as tlither said, it's not flexible. You'll have to apply a LOT of hot glue to make it sturdy and strong before you can apply any type of detail to smooth it out. My armor is entirely made from hot glue and it's REALLY strong, but it can bend just a little if you force it too. Use hot glue, then try to resin it on the outside (and inside as well if you desire). I believe that crossfire has bondo on his hot glue helmet.

Couldn't caulking (known for use in homebuilding) be used too? It dries flexible, can be sanded, and is not as dangerous. (might smell a bit, but no risk of burn, just wait a while in between coats. :whistle: Plus caulking can comes in clear and opaque) the caulking wouldn't crack, and is rather tough (well, tough to get off wood anyway). Yet a caulking gun would be needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back