TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AoBfrost said:
You might not want to try this method if you're in florida, because the temperature can get super hot there.

i live in Florida, i admit, i am pretty hot, but the temperature didnt seem to affect my completion of the project. Sometimes, when the glue wasn't hardening fast enough, i stick my fingers onto it and sandwich it, also shaping the seal. Apparently this works, because my armor turned out great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xavier said:
hot glue is very suseptible to heat... so i hope you dont go outside with your armor much or else you mught get warped.
welp, I live in canada so I don't have anything to worry about in that department :p
but yes it sometimes gets that hot up here so I'll still have to be careful

For those who are using this method and are worried about happens to your suit if you wear it in the hot sun, have no worries. As long as you add enough hot glue (I'm talking at least a quarter inch thick), it'll be okay. My entire suit is made form hot glue ONLY (with Modge Podge glue on the outside), and it held up in the hot sun for 2 hours (I was sweating my butt off though). Believe me when I say Georgia heat is hell.

okay I have a question.
now. what if you used hot glue to bond the pepakura? Won't the hot glue heat up and your pep will fall over and break? because that's happened to me before even when I was just doing pep

vanalla said:
okay I have a question.
now. what if you used hot glue to bond the pepakura? Won't the hot glue heat up and your pep will fall over and break? because that's happened to me before even when I was just doing pep
If you apply light coats first, then it should be okay...

i'm now building my first mc-helmet
and i made it with a little bit harder paper then normal would this work also with that ?
and what is a Pie/coffee tin

Shiwa said:
i'm now building my first mc-helmet
and i made it with a little bit harder paper then normal would this work also with that ?
and what is a Pie/coffee tin
Yes, it should work, but what kind of paper did you use? and the Pie tin is what you cook pies in.

Shiwa said:
ok thx
i use this paper
http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sta71203ro9.jpg
and oh yes
do i need to make the window(vizor) in paper or can i let it open ?
You can have the paper visor on the helmet, it helps keep it sturdy and prevent it from warping. Or you can do it without the visor. When I made mine, I did it without, BUT I added cardboard supports to help it from warping. I've placed cardboard inside the brimm (on the bottom) and in the back of the helmet. Also use the support struts that come with the pep file. They help alot. Start with light coats first... then thick coats up to a quarter inch. If you feel it needs more, then add more.

As for the pie tin thing, I just used an tin dog bowl. Good luck!

ok :D
if my helmet is done i will try to add cardboard and adding the glue

and "bondo" is toxic to right ?
can't you use something different
can i spray like 10 times varnish instead of using "bondo"...

HaloFreakX said:
Hey, pooper I was wondering how long it took you modge podge whole thing and which "version" did you use?
The version I used to mostly reinforce my armor is ABFrost's Hot Glue Method... I also added cardboard in some areas for additional support. I used Modge Podge instead of resin... I'd say that it took me about 9 months (not including paint job) to hot glue and modge podge my suit, but that's with me working, hanging out with girlfriend and friends, etc.

GMer56 said:
Couldn't caulking (known for use in homebuilding) be used too?
try that on small pieces. I have used caulk for home repairs when we were redecorating the house a bit ago, its a good sealant and holds its own against most epoxies, but unless you find a way to coat the globs of caulk on the armor, it'll just harden too quickly.

huh. didnt think about that. i'll look into it later.

will it rly hold good? and do you have to use a mini oven can u just squirt some out with a hot glue gun and brush it around? these are just a few questions i have to make it a little easier on myself when i make my armor, thx

dude dont use caps lock unless you really are yelling.
and we really dont apprieciate short forms like rlly or amirite etc. or people who dont try
now on to my post.
maybe puting a light coat of resin on the underside would prevent falling apart, but I guess that defeats the purpose of non toxic armour.
I guess Ill try out poopers idea. maybe. these stories are making me a believer in hot glue

Hey, the hot glue can work like resin to endurence my armor with fiberglass bondo? I mean, I can use the hot glue in the place of fiberglass resin to endurence my armor with fiber glass bondo? o_O o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back