TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOT GLUE METHOD COULD BE A COMPLETE FAILER!!!
IF:
You do it first off without anthing on the outside of it
BECAUSE:
HOTGLUE + HOTGLUE = MORE HOTGLUE
SO:
If you apply the hot glue on the inside, your hotglued parts will unsolidify.
Did anyone get this?

My attempt at hot glue worked well. I'm still resining the outside and sanding(?) then fiberglass resining the inside for added strength.

The hot glue seemed to shrink the helmet some. Anyone else seem to have this problem?

johnnydamaniac said:
My attempt at hot glue worked well. I'm still resining the outside and sanding(?) then fiberglass resining the inside for added strength.

The hot glue seemed to shrink the helmet some. Anyone else seem to have this problem?
That shrinking could mean that the helmet has warped some... as long as the proportions looks good, it's a minor thing. Did you put on a light coat first to help support it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, I need to know, if I only use hot glue to endurence the armor, it will be resistent enough to wear the armor? And what kind of precautions I need to take to do not broke my armor and conservate that?

delta38 said:
HOT GLUE METHOD COULD BE A COMPLETE FAILER!!!
IF:
You do it first off without anthing on the outside of it
BECAUSE:
HOTGLUE + HOTGLUE = MORE HOTGLUE
SO:
If you apply the hot glue on the inside, your hotglued parts will unsolidify.
Did anyone get this?

I got a idea to do not let the parts unsolidify, maybe if put some adesive fit to cover some glued parts of the armor, or the entire armor (with caution, don't wrapind the entire armor like a maniac :D) maybe you can cover the armor and let it resistent enough to pass the hot glue without unsolidify the partas, and maybe, just maybe, covering the armor with adesive fit and next with hot glue, and maybe doing it one more time, your very more resistent that just with hot glue. It's just a theory, but maybe it really can work very well, but we need to test firs, and I will do that, and if it work well, I will tell :) .

I have figured out how to solve the problem of "Bondo will crack if I use this method because hot glue is flexable and bondo really isnt".

Simply after hot glueing your armour, sand it down to smooth it (yes, sand through the paper AND hot glue) and then, fill the un-even and rough areas with bondo. Just use a VERY thin coat though.

CHEERS!

Couldn't we all just use fiberglass, after all it would save some troubles and time to those who are using this method :D

SoullessSin said:
Couldn't we all just use fiberglass, after all it would save some troubles and time to those who are using this method :D
This is true, but I've always viewed this method as a means for those who doesn't want to work with toxic materials such as fiberglass/resin, especially for kids whose parents won't let them use it. Sure it's not as good as fiberglass, but this is a good alternative for it... :)

Also, its cheaper.

Just think about it, here are the prices from wal-mart

Resin-$14.95 per 1.5L can
Bondo-$9.99 per 1L can
Cardstock-$11.95 for 250 sheets
Hot glue sticks-$5.95 per 100 sticks

Therefor, say you need 1000 sticks for your costume, 200 sheets of cardstock, 1 can of bondo, and 2-3 cans of resin. The total price would be around $110.00-$120.00.

If you use the resin/fiberglass:

Resin-$14.95 per 1.5L can
Fiberglass sheet-$9.95 per 1M squared
Bondo-$9.99 per 1L can
Cardstock-$11.95 per 250 sheets

Now again, lets say you need 200 sheets of cardstock, 2-3 cans of bondo, 4-6 cans of resin and 5-6 sheets of fiberglass sheet. The total price would be around $170.00-$190.00.

Mmm, hot glue.

Halo-evenmorepix002.jpg

This is what I got from a rushed helmet and the hot glue technique. I did this last year before I got shipped to Great Lakes, IL. I can't finish it for a while. ;-;

Edit: There's also a coat of Mod Podge glue on the inside, because I didn't have enough hot glue.

pooper said:
Did you use the hot glue on the outside? o_O
No. The hot glue is all on the inside. The outside is lumpy because it's a rushed paper mache helmet.

This hot glue method is also great for waterproofing cloth materials while still allowing them to be flexible.

It's almost like making a silicone or rubber textile, which you may want for certain parts of the suit.

If temp is an issue, try using clear caulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back