Two Halves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if it is possible/a good idea to make one half of the helm(Haybusa) in clay and mold it. Then do the same for the other side. I know it would be challenging but the goal is to learn stuff and make a darn cool helmet at the same time. Any suggestions and/or possibilities. ;)

Why would you do that? It'll only take longer because you would never get them symmetrical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible : Yes
A good idea: No
But you could make the whole helmet out of clay and then make 2 mold halfs of it.

/Conny

link4044 said:
styro-foam as in a styro-foam head?
Yeah. Clay does not want to stick or adhere to it. I tried putting duct tape around it but that didn't work. Well it did but the next morning it all fell off. :(

PMS Solstice GI said:
Oil based Supersculpy. It's tan. And sorry for the backwardness.
AHA Well that explains why it will not stick. Super sculpey is only good to make statues or other hard objects. Its supposed to be harden in a oven or with a heatgun, and it will be impossible to do when you have it on a styrofoam head (toxic fumes) Supersculpy is also hard to work with if you dont knead it much.
What you need to use is Plastilina clay
http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cf...;cat_name=Clays
Its easy to use and do not need kneading, and it do stick to styro foam heads.

I Hope you did not buy alot of super sculpt already, but if you have you could use it to make small super sculpy Masterchiefs :D
/Conny

Like this one : My little pony/My little masterchief
Master_Chief_From_Halo_by_AnimeAmy.jpg

I say if you have a vac-former that would be a great idea!!! Because you wont have to spend so much money on the silicon and liquid plastic. But the only two problems you would have would be getting both haves to look alike and to bondo both haves together. Also for clay you should get klean clay, about $1.75 a pound and very easy to work with!!
http://www.sculpturedepot.net/html/clay.htm for all your sculpture needs!!!

Thank you for all of the advice. I think I found a solution to my dilemma. I found a 4" diameter PVC pipe. It does want to stick to that. I'll post up some pictures. later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back