Ultimate Iron Man Thread Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good. Btw if you are going for the sliding faceplate are you going to make it electronic or manual? The reason I ask is because Iv'e been thinking of how to get it to work electronically and it is possible as I have seen a working version. I just don't know how they done it.

The problem is that first of all my head won't really fit unless I make the helmet a little too big (because motors are in there, but then it doesn't look right). Secondly, the chance of injury is high. If You have the faceplate on rails and you have hair you may catch it in them when the faceplate moves back and forward. Or it may scratch your scalp because of little or no hair (like in my case). I could use extra padding to prevent it but then your view through the eyes is even worse as your head is slightly lower than it is supposed to be in it. So I am in a stuck place.

What kind of rail could I use that won't probably injure me? And what are the smallest motors that are available that are stong enough to move the faceplate along that rail?

Btw I want to stick the bottom of faceplate to the jaw using a magnet so that when (using your idea of a hinged jaw) the faceplate opens the jaw drops on its own but only far enough that when the plate comes down, the magnet is strong enough to lift the jaw up to the bottom of the plate. And tada the helmet is in one piece again.

I wasn't planning on making the faceplate electronic. Don't think I could get anything to fit inside with my head.

I've got an old printer I might try taking apart, see if it has anything which might suite.

That jaw magnet is a good idea, just drop the faceplate and the jaw lifts itself up due to the magnets.

Mate at work showed this to me yesterday.

Scarlett Johanson *drools*

Scarlett-johansson-black-widow.jpg

Jonny said:
I wasn't planning on making the faceplate electronic. Don't think I could get anything to fit inside with my head.

I've got an old printer I might try taking apart, see if it has anything which might suite.

That jaw magnet is a good idea, just drop the faceplate and the jaw lifts itself up due to the magnets.

Mate at work showed this to me yesterday.

Scarlett Johanson *drools*

I know it is possible. It is just really difficult (for me anyway). I think, no, I know that a manual version is easier. And I know what you mean about not having enough space, as my last attempt at an ironman helmet failed (it wasn't the most accurate file) as it was just a little too small so motors would not fit without me shrinking my head. The L3X one seems quite a bit bigger on my head than the last one did (more space all round) so I may have some new ideas on how to impement the electronic faceplate once I get the detailing and stuff done. If I get it to work I will be sure to post how I done it either here or in my own topic (will provide link to my topic here just so you know how I done it).

Yeah but if the jaw drops too far then it won't come back up when the faceplate comes down. Need to find a way stop it from doing that. Maybe a small catch or something would work. I don't know. But I will have a better idea once I have actually resined, glassed ect and then cut the faceplate and jaw off.

Drool? Just drool? I have niagra falls coming out of my mouth. Its a shame downy jr is standing in the way :( . Thats the sign of a bad camera man! (point my finger at him) Bad camera man! Bad!

Btw is it just me or does the ironman suit look pretty crappy? I mean not very detailed. And there appear to be parts missing. Like the parts around where your collar bone is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, the whole suit is low-def CGI, that's why, they weren't gonna blow the money for it to look good on a magazine before they actually finish the move I bet.

And Jonny, Sorry I don't know what progress you've gotten to really because my laptop can't run videos, it's too old and slow, XP, when I finish building my computer or next time I'm at Sharkhead's I'll take a look and get back to you.

hey im new to this site. if u look on my profile i have some halo builds WIP.

ive been watchin this post for a while downloaded the files today cant wait to start these... just wondering on any updates mate

While this technically isn't a necro, you're expected to contribute something to the topic. If you wanted an update on the progress you should have pmed the author.

I saw Sharkhead the other day when I needed help sewing a costume for an anime fest.

He's been very busy, and has not had the time to update, and as far as I know has not finished modeling.

Well, hey since the thread is back anyway... Sharkhead: would you mind modding your current 3d file for the war machine? Or letting me have a crack at it? It's just a couple of grooves, credit would be all yours. If not that's cool, but a lot of time would be saved this way...

I would just like to thank Sharkhead for this wonderful pep file, I am making the helm right now and it's in the fiberglassing stage. Keep up the good work!

Ok i have been watching a lot of Iron man threads lately, so it's time I posted in what appears to be the most ambitious one thusfar. But STAY IN SCHOOL PRINCE NEO!!! Trust me the real thing should focus on is getting a diploma. College is up to debate. I Knew what I was doing right out of high school buying, building, selling, and repairing computers. Rite now on the side I've just finished a controller mod for the rock band drums that's soon to be up for sale at www.rockbandparts.com so I plan to use that money for my future career.

Now lets get back to Iron Man armor. The more I looked around the more molding seemed to be a better option. But right now jonny you mentioned wanting put in electronics but concerned about your lack of space, check this out:

http://www.xrobots.co.uk/ironmanhelmet/

It might just work for you guys, secondly check out black tony stark's topic he really knows how to pep from nothing he could probably help you guys out.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16290&st=0

As for me I am working on my own armor from scratch. I'm not doing Iron man or a spartan, but Bass from the Megaman games though the armor haas the same qualities as the other two. just keep up the good work. Oh and before I forget if anyone still has any PC trouble LET ME KNOW! I repair computers professionally. and I'd be happy to help for free.

Prince NEO said:
Bass Armor, Sweet. the original Bass, or the NT bass though.

And thanks about the school thing, I plan on staying in it.

The original Bass. I'm a bit of a retrogamer. But in the meantime the is also the consideration of the arc reactor Nobody ever seems to mention that part of the build in the iron man thread. is there one for sale or do people have a DIY guide somewhere?

Here's an update from me.

I've decided to reattach the jaw to the rest of the helmet as I was having trouble getting the hinge to work to a level I wanted.

I've started to work on the detail at the back and ears. I still need to work on the jaw and faceplate hinge.

IMG_0289_Resized.jpg

IMG_0290_Resized.jpg

IMG_0291_Resized.jpg

Jonny said:
Here's an update from me.

I've decided to reattach the jaw to the rest of the helmet as I was having trouble getting the hinge to work to a level I wanted.

I've started to work on the detail at the back and ears. I still need to work on the jaw and faceplate hinge.

IMG_0289_Resized.jpg

IMG_0290_Resized.jpg

IMG_0291_Resized.jpg

looks great man. ive just realised i used the wrong paper to pep my helm so goin out tomorro to buy some card instead haha. ill post pics up here soon as.

also Sharkhead any updates?

Very Nice man, and I'm more retro about megaman too Tool, for the arc reactor, I'm using those stick on circle lights, I think Sharkhead is as well.

Hey Yogi, where did you get the progress trackers for your armors.

Prince NEO said:
Very Nice man, and I'm more retro about megaman too Tool, for the arc reactor, I'm using those stick on circle lights, I think Sharkhead is as well.

Hey Yogi, where did you get the progress trackers for your armors.

i got the halo one from here and i made my iron man one myself. =] if anybody would like one just pm me and ill get to work on it. im not a wizz with internet stuff haha so i just use trusty layers in photo shop.

Tool said:
But in the meantime there is also the consideration of the arc reactor. Nobody ever seems to mention that part of the build in the iron man thread. Is there one for sale or do people have a DIY guide somewhere?

This the sort of thing you guys had in mind? :cool

FRZ4AS8FGTT1OIM.MEDIUM.jpg

No, I haven't made it myself, but I plan to. I found it on an Instructibles webpage; Here's a link. It sounds like it would be pretty straight forward enough to throw it together. The best pat is it doesn't look like it would be too hard to downsize it and make smaller ones for the repulsors in the hands.

I say it once i say this again. your find is good, mine is better.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrhmi5CjUw&feature=related[/media]

once again, I don't usually brag but I think I deserve an internet high five.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back