Soft Parts Undersuit reference pictures needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could really use some Hi-def torso undersuit reference pictures for my Carter suit. I plan on making it out of foam sheets and plastidip to give it a leathery rubber look just like in the game. I do not have reach and Vanity does not give me the detail I need. Any reference pictures would help greatly. Thanks. If my undersuit comes out good enough to my liking and others on 405th I may release a template for others to use.

Carter.jpg

Carter1.jpg

Reference.jpg

Here are some images from the Birth of a Spartan video. I made a reference for the under suit that Carter is wearing. It's a simpler design than other projects out there.

Why does everybody assume that the stuff he's wearing there is the undersuit? I don't think that's a logical assumption. First of all, the soft parts of the armour (which is what everybody is referring to as the undersuit) are well visible on the armour as it's standing/hanging there, otherwise you would be able to look through the holes in between the hard parts. Second, he's also wearing a belt and leather boots. I highly doubt he's going to wear those under the armour, which means that he has to either change or take off his clothes before putting the armour on. Going from there, it's a safe bet that boots and belt aren't the only things he's going to take off.

The World Premiere Trailer shows Carter's stomach armour. Not sure if it's detailed enough to use it as a base for the undersuit, but it does definitely not show those crisscross-grooves from the shirt in the first screenshot above. Instead, there seems to be a slight edge, which in turn is also visible on the screenshot (but on the armour, not on the guy's shirt).

I agree. Depending on what you are looking for, the bungie website has tons of stills that you can look at to get a good idea of what the suit looks like. That's what I used for my base drawing that I'm going to make everything off of. There are thousands of photos, and some are really close up.
I think everyone's undersuit is basically the same for their characters, except that the fit has been changed, so if you want to take a look, you can find some really good references. :) Good luck!

you can always use something like this, its a paintball chest guard, it kinda looks like the picture unless your going for the exact look as in the game
33532-Empire20Grind20Chest20Protector20ZE.jpg

Hey, first (non-intro) post on the new 405th. I've been lurking around for a while just to check out some projects and pick up tips for doing my ODST helmet which I've been working on at about the pace the Mona Lisa smile was painted... lol

Recently I got together with a group of guys and, long story short, be on the lookout for a WIP write-up on a Noble Team build in the near future, which we started work on this week.

TL;DR: I came up with a quick sketch of a semi-accurate undersuit for Reach-based armors using this screenshot among others from bnet:

Anchor9_017.jpg

Here's my sketch:

29wpweh.jpg

I'm not the greatest at drawing obviously, but that's my idea of what the undersuit looks like. The darker sections are shaded because they protrude off the body about an inch or more. My thinking is that these parts can be made with the foam mats some people are making armor from now, and the other shapes which don't need to rise off the body can be made with neoprene, soft foam craft board, or any other reasonably heavy/thick material cut and stitched into place on top of the base (probably compression clothing or similar). I really like the OP's plasti-dip idea.

I included the scaled parts on the thighs because the armor pep files I have lack them. I plan to have some more detailed (measured and scaled) templates done within the next few weeks while I work on my suit which I'd be more than happy to share. I also have some detailed sketches of the Reach gloves if anyone wants to see those.

Hey, first (non-intro) post on the new 405th. I've been lurking around for a while just to check out some projects and pick up tips for doing my ODST helmet which I've been working on at about the pace the Mona Lisa smile was painted... lol

Recently I got together with a group of guys and, long story short, be on the lookout for a WIP write-up on a Noble Team build in the near future, which we started work on this week.

TL;DR: I came up with a quick sketch of a semi-accurate undersuit for Reach-based armors using this screenshot among others from bnet:

Anchor9_017.jpg

Here's my sketch:

29wpweh.jpg

I'm not the greatest at drawing obviously, but that's my idea of what the undersuit looks like. The darker sections are shaded because they protrude off the body about an inch or more. My thinking is that these parts can be made with the foam mats some people are making armor from now, and the other shapes which don't need to rise off the body can be made with neoprene, soft foam craft board, or any other reasonably heavy/thick material cut and stitched into place on top of the base (probably compression clothing or similar). I really like the OP's plasti-dip idea.

I included the scaled parts on the thighs because the armor pep files I have lack them. I plan to have some more detailed (measured and scaled) templates done within the next few weeks while I work on my suit which I'd be more than happy to share. I also have some detailed sketches of the Reach gloves if anyone wants to see those.

I agree. Depending on what you are looking for, the bungie website has tons of stills that you can look at to get a good idea of what the suit looks like. That's what I used for my base drawing that I'm going to make everything off of. There are thousands of photos, and some are really close up.
I think everyone's undersuit is basically the same for their characters, except that the fit has been changed, so if you want to take a look, you can find some really good references. :) Good luck!

Thank you all for you time looking into this thread. The picture Yankee drew is exactly what I needed. Recently i found a zip folder of about 50+ up close torso undersuit pictures which is just what I needed. I will begin work on the main portion of the torso undersuit tomorrow. Pictures soon hopfully :D

Brilliant sketch! I allways thought that there was padding around the legs, but most people build it into the armor. Thanks for the reference pics. Thinking I'm going to include this into mine for sure!

If you're interested, I have both a men's and a women's undersuit sketch in my undersuit thread. It has proven helpful for a few members, and you are welcome to use it too if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back