Soft Parts Unfolding 3D Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Earth

Member DIN
S698
Hey gang!

As many of you know I’m working on a Mjolnir GEN 3 Spartan. I have many models for the “seen” Undersuit parts that I have either 3D Printed or planned too and attach to a Lycra Undersuit.

My question is, does anyone know how to turn those 3D Models into Pepakura templates so I can flat cast the Undersuit parts? It would save me on materials and ultimately have the same results.

I suppose it would depend on what format your current model is in, STL or OBJ? I believe ArmorSmith can export different file types as .PDOs, but, I will let one of our 3D modelers chime in with better advice.

I suppose it would depend on what format your current model is in, STL or OBJ? I believe ArmorSmith can export different file types as .PDOs, but, I will let one of our 3D modelers chime in with better advice.
I have STL's, I'll import them to Armor Smith and see about exporting as PDO

Unfolding models that are meant for 3D printing might be a bit of an issue as they are usually too high resolution (and pepakura at least can't handle too many verts), but if you can get them in a lower resolution (or they don't have too many verts to begin with), you just import the model in pepakura, mark out the cut lines (easier to do before unfolding than after in my opinion), and click on unfold. Then, you just have to arrange them in a way that makes sense. It can take some time, but usually isn't too hard.

Unfolding models that are meant for 3D printing might be a bit of an issue as they are usually too high resolution (and pepakura at least can't handle too many verts), but if you can get them in a lower resolution (or they don't have too many verts to begin with), you just import the model in pepakura, mark out the cut lines (easier to do before unfolding than after in my opinion), and click on unfold. Then, you just have to arrange them in a way that makes sense. It can take some time, but usually isn't too hard.
I might take what I have in blender and make a low poly outline then and see what I can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back