Unfolding pepakura models

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerotan 36

I have seeveral pepakura models that I would like to edit so they are in more pices not one huge one. Could any one help me?

I can offer you 3 options, and you can use one that you are best with.

1. Click Unfold Undo on the toobars, click on the edges you want cut, and rescale it by unfolding. bad news is you have to re-align the pieces.
2.Right click on 2d window and press Join/Disjoin face. its like folding and editing in 3d, only you see what you do.
3. have someone else do it for you.

dont ask me.

After you click on the "Unfold" button, right-button click (on the 2D side) the option "Join/Disjoin Face" or use Control+N to gather those tiny pieces. Do this several times until you have assembled a large enough piece suitable for cutting and folding. And then repeat for other pieces. Also, you need to decide on how large the pep model is going to be. In this case, go to 2DPatternWindow and click on "Scale Up/Down Development by Specifying Value" and type your chosen height in the box that says "Assembled Height."

That's pretty much it. Keep in mind that the pieces that you have assembled must be large enough to allow people some ease in cutting and folding them. This is a very long and tedious procedure, far more demanding of your patience than simply putting together a pep file. It took me almost a week to unforld FS's torso piece during the xmas break, spending most of my waking hours doing just that. But then, that was one monstrous model. :D

P.S. I'm currently working on unfolding a sniper rifle (4 ft long) based on a not-so-good 3D model (quite a bit of open edges! :mad:) as a side project when I'm not working on my armor. Not really that high on my priority list since I'm not skilled at 3D modeling.

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want to seperate the pieces up a bit, use the "Join/Disjoin Face" tool. You can get to it by right clicking on the 2D pattern window, and selecting it.

Now if you want to edit the model, you'll have to go to 3dModelWindow -> Edit Mode -> Edit Model. From there you can use the "Divide Edge", and "Swap Edge" tools to get it the way you want it.
That's as in-depth as I'm going. You can figure out the rest yourself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back