Unity Project 2012 for Child's Play Charity (Looking for donors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they're talking about ripping in game models and not the creation of a 3d model using screenshots and reference photos.

It also apply's to short films and other projects such as "Halo : _______ " . As long as you don't make money off of it , you're good.

sorry, I've been really busy with school lately and havn't been able to make any progress, I'll start on the chest as soon as I can,
I'll have pics in about a week.

Any updates? As for now , I bump this thread with EPIC KITTY CUTENESS!

4e0bd4a6_Bump6.jpg

Hey all!

I'm working on finishing King Rahl's M6H for the Unity Project. Here are some pics of what I've cleaned up a bit.

IMG_0398_zpsf9cd16c0.jpg

I've seriously cleaned up that detail on the left.

IMG_0404_zps166cfe05.jpg

I'll post more pics later on!

-Jacob

All I have to say is I'm sorry for being a total slacker. I've been working on other projects and the gloves got pushed back and into the closet.

All I have to say is I'm sorry for being a total slacker. I've been working on other projects and the gloves got pushed back and into the closet.

Hey man , it's okay! I kind of got burned out on prop making these last few months , but I'm back and ready to finish this Unity Project!

Here is a comparison for how much I've done in around four hours. I've worked on the entire bottom front of the gun (where the laser sight is) I've cleaned up some lines and made things generally more crisp.

IMG_0402_zpsd71a2634.jpg

IMG_04271_zps5c4baa38.jpg

I'll have to throw a coat of primer on it so the details can be better seen. Tell me what you think!

-Jacob

Everything looks great guys! I can't wait to see the finished suit!

Thanks!

I have more pictures of some work I did last night. I only got to work on the gun for around an hour , and a good portion of that time was applying putty and waiting for that to cure. Putty is always my least favorite part of the build , as it's a SUPER repetitive process. Last night was basically just smoothing out the angled area where the bottom "laser sight" portion of the pistol meets the body of the gun. I have a twenty minute video of the sanding process. If you guys would want to see it , I'll post it later. Right now it's just eating up space on my hard drive lol Anyway , on to the pictures!

Here is what I started with last night

IMG_0446_zps4cf312e2.jpg

I wanted to smooth out this flat area and the angled portion below

IMG_0449_zpsb60cd6aa.jpg

I waited for over half the time that I worked on the gun for this area to cure

IMG_0450_zps4e6fcb29.jpg

This area has also been greatly improved

IMG_0448_zpsd78527be.jpg

I'll post some pictures of what it looked like after I sanded it last night. I still have to upload those to photo bucket lol Tell me if you would want to see some video of the process as well. Thanks!

-Jacob

There is a recessed spot on the trigger that I didn't have on my first model. Also, don't forget to add the safety.

There is a recessed spot on the trigger that I didn't have on my first model. Also, don't forget to add the safety.

I was thinking of using some thin gauge styrene for the recessed area. I think I'm going to make the safety separately and see if I can make it to where it turn on and off. Thanks for the advice!

-Jacob

Hey all! Anyone have any updates for us? I'm still trying to find someone to resin , glass, and detail the helmet. *wink wink* if you're available , it would be awesome to have you join *wink wink* Remember the perks discussed wayyyy back in the thread? (which reminds me , I will be shipping them out as soon as I get some picture paper to make everyone's prints on) But until then.......

UPDATE TIME!

I've cleaned up the trigger and grip area a bit. I tried to build up the recessed area of the trigger with spot putty.........it was a failure. I'll have to use bondo for that.

I used some Van Aken clay to build up the recessed area

IMG_0460_zps015df03d.jpg

And then I put the spot putty on

IMG_0462_zps4fedda8b.jpg

And after waiting several hours for it to cure (since it was SUPER think for spot putty) I went back to pull the clay away , and the spot putty crumbled away miserably. I should have taken an extra five minutes to mix up a small batch of bondo and the problem would have been solved! That's what I get for being lazy!

While I was at it , I started cleaning up the front portion of the other side of the gun.

IMG_0416_zpsf9b05ce3.jpg

The next area I am working on next is this raised bit on the top. It needs some bondo to square it off.

IMG_0421_zpsb7178a32.jpg

If there are any fillers out there that are like spot putty , but hold corners better, PLEASE tell me! I would like a filler that has the strength of bondo , but is easy to handle like spot putty. Thanks guys!

-Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are any fillers out there that are like spot putty , but hold corners better, PLEASE tell me! I would like a filler that has the strength of bondo , but is easy to handle like spot putty. Thanks guys!
dry wall mud is easy to shape and hardens with primer. i use it for details and small patches, its not as strong as bondo but its an idea

dry wall mud is easy to shape and hardens with primer. i use it for details and small patches, its not as strong as bondo but its an idea

Awesome! I'll have to test it out!

Anywho , on the updates!!

I picked up some stuff from my local Dollar Daze. They had packages upon packages of this nylon strapping for $1.50 , plastic putty spreaders for $1 , and this 5 in 1 putty knife for $1.50! I also realized that their stock of polystyrene signs was MASSIVE! My local art store has small sheets of midwest styrene for like $2.68 a sheet (depending on what gauge you get) and the dollar store has larger polystyrene signs for $.50 a piece! I love it when you get deals!

IMG_0623_zpsa5b771a8.jpg

Onto the gun!

I spent three hours tonight getting the recessed area on the trigger how I liked it. I used Van Aken clay to build up the detail and masking tape to
act as a dam.

IMG_0624_zpsd076f430.jpg

IMG_0625_zps34629ac6.jpg

Here is a picture of the bondo curing

IMG_0630_zps3cc4983a.jpg

And it worked!

IMG_0635_zps002b28b3.jpg

The other side is a different story. I pulled the tape away too early and the entire piece of bondo came clean off. I used some super glue gel to re attach it.
I also built it up too high , so it took a while to get it to match the other side in thickness and depth.

IMG_0639_zpsfb62d2a6.jpg

IMG_0640_zps0edb369f.jpg

I still have to clean it up and make it look better , but I'm pretty happy with the results! Tell me what you think!

-Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back