UNSC Ship and vehicle models and scaling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper07

I'm by no means someone with any knowledge of the subject, but what I'm looking to do is take a 2D or 3D rendering of for example... the UNSC Savannah with a cannon length of 535 meters x 199m wide x 112.3m high and scale it down to fit into a build area of 128m x 128m x 128m and then grid the 2D map with each grid square representing 1 square meter. Would this be possible, or difficult? I assume for some it's probably really simple.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this as it's not costume or prop related. Simply a 2d map from multiple views gridded from a computer program. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. If someone would rather teach me to do it if that'd be easier for them, that'd be great too.

In total, I'm looking for is the...
~AV-14 Hornet (9.6x8.7x4.45m) within a 16m cube. (Does not need conversion, just grid overlay)

~AC-220 Vulture (35.1x??x??m) within a 32m cube

~D77H-TCI Pelican (30.5x23.4x10m) within a 32m cube (Does not need conversion, just grid overlay)

~FFG Strident Heavy Frigate (575x124x112m) within both a 128m cube and a 512m cube
(each grid square on this would represent 10 or 20 meters)

~FFG Nevada Heavy Frigate (604x219x178m) within both a 128m cube and a 512m cube
(each grid square on this would represent 10 or 20 meters)

~CV Epoch Class Heavy Carrier (2563x???x???m) within both a 128m cube and a 2048m cube
(each grid square on this would represent 10,20,50 meters? whatever is easiest)

~CV Orion Class Assault Carrier (2220x610x660m) within both a 128m cube and a 2048m cube
(each grid square on this would represent 10, 20 or 50 meters? whatever is easiest)

Last edited:
I might have been completely overthinking it. First, divide the dimensions by the new ones, then use that number as the scale. For example, 128 goes into 2220 17.35 times. So if you use a 1/17.35 scale you end up with dimensions that all fit within the new parameters. the Orion Class being 2220 x 610 x 660 originally, is now 127.95 x 35.16 x 38.04. Does that sound correct?

I'm by no means someone with any knowledge of the subject, but what I'm looking to do is take a 2D or 3D rendering of for example... the UNSC Savannah with a cannon length of 535 meters x 199m wide x 112.3m high and scale it down to fit into a build area of 128m x 128m x 128m and then grid the 2D map with each grid square representing 1 square meter.

Wait... This is sounding suspiciously like a Minecraft project. Is this a UNSC capital ship build?

Something like that, but more available to others eventually I hope. I wish I could be more descriptive, but I signed an NDA preventing me about talking about what this is for directly. Whatever ships I'm building within said platform, are completely acceptable to talk about. My choice being UNSC vessels and aircraft. Although my own takes on them for sure. Hahaha there's just no way one will ever be able to recreate even a modern aircraft carrier's compartments in their entirety, nor would they want to. It is an online game, which is why I say once I get this all figured out, it'll definitely be useful for others, should they choose to play it.

Last edited:
I believe your thinking is correct and allows you to scale properly. If you google things like proportional fractions and scaling it might be good to read up on.

That was my initial hang up. Scaling things down is simple enough, but when you're attempting to scale it to within a predetermined set of measurements, that's where I think I'd overcomplicated it. And not knowing exactly how to word that google search to find the answer.Thanks y'all!

I usually have to take a minute or three when thinking about scaling. Cross multiplication is another one you could google. When trying to scale to a restricted box you should first work with the largest dimension of the thing you’re trying to scale down (I see you’ve got this but just wanted to state it for others who might not).

I don’t think you made it clear but are you trying to scale down to the limits of a 3D printer? If so you might want to scale down further, the extreme extents of a printer bed can be tricky and printing out that far could be more susceptible to cause failure. Good luck with whatever you’re working on!

Wait...I re-read your post above in which you said this was related to a game so ignore the business about 3D printing.

No worries, Hahaha that'd be one hell of a 3D printer at even the smallest scale of 32 meters. If anyone is willing, I'd still like to learn how to throw a grid overlay on a 2d picture and have it to scale to help measure distances. A 3D would be great too, but I feel that's probably a lot more labor intensive, finding the model first... hoping it's fairly accurate... then scaling it, etc. It'd be helpful but ultimately a lot of time for anyone who decided to help in my opinion.

No worries, Hahaha that'd be one hell of a 3D printer at even the smallest scale of 32 meters. If anyone is willing, I'd still like to learn how to throw a grid overlay on a 2d picture and have it to scale to help measure distances. A 3D would be great too, but I feel that's probably a lot more labor intensive, finding the model first... hoping it's fairly accurate... then scaling it, etc. It'd be helpful but ultimately a lot of time for anyone who decided to help in my opinion.
Do you have access to Photoshop? There's an option for grid overlays within PS.

If not, Inkscape is free and you can build up your own grid easily enough plus playing around with scales within the Transformations tabs is easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back