Using Flex-Spray as waterproof base coat, and it's pretty lumpy. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegacyAlloy227

My armor is paper/cardboard with wood glue. I'm using Flex Spray to waterproof it before painting, and it's lumpy and rough. I plan on going over it with some 600 sandpaper, and then painting a flat paint base coat before details.

Would this work? If anyone has had similar problems, please share your solutions. Thanks!

I suggest testing sanding the flex spray too, as some things either dont sand or dont sand well. It may peel off. Is this the same thing as flex seal, but in a spray can?
Flex Seal also comes in aerosol form. In my experience it doesn't sand well.

You might want to go with liquid flex seal (or some similar latex paint-ask your local home improvement store to mix up some durable outdoor paint) and stipple. Sure, it takes a while and your arm gets tired, but you get a nice even texture/coat/color.

Flex Seal also comes in aerosol form. In my experience it doesn't sand well.

You might want to go with liquid flex seal (or some similar latex paint-ask your local home improvement store to mix up some durable outdoor paint) and stipple. Sure, it takes a while and your arm gets tired, but you get a nice even texture/coat/color.
I agree. I tried a can as a substitute for plasti dip(I am speaking for foam, so it may work a little differently to cardboard), and it did not sand at all. It also perls off as if it was only held on by friction and the tight fitting shape.

It might behoove you to scuff up the underlying surface by sanding it and then coat it with the sealant. That may help it adhere better.

PlastiDip peels up by design off of smooth surfaces so I'd second the suggestion by Sean Anwalt to give the surface some tooth if you're going to use that. Also I'm not too sure how well it'll work with cardboard but if you do have a PVA coat it should be good.

Do you have photos of how it's reacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back