Vacume forming a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
i've spent a lot of time researching all the different methods so hopefully i didn't miss this somewhere.

I've built a pep daft punk helmet and my original idea was to vacuum form it. But then I read the noob threads and was convinced that I would just rondo the whole thing.

Now I'm thinking of using vacuum form again after reading this thread and finding out it is possible.

My question is about durability. Plastic would be nice since I imagine it would be loads lighter. I also imagine it would be pretty flimsy. Thoughts?

Isnt making the mould really expensive thought? (out of all the plastics and such)

Oh, you want to use the vacuformed shell AS a mold. I think I misread you there earlier, sorry.

If this is all still about making the armour ready for a certain war game, why don't you just use fibreglass and glass the pep model? I doubt there's going to be much of a difference to a cast if you do it right and use enough material.

Ok Ill give it a go. I ve got a almost complete failed helmet so Ill see how it looks, thanks for the advise :)

If you're going to fiberglass and rondo the helmet anyway thats already stronger then anything you vac-forming it with. Also, it wont matter if you mold with the formed helmet or the pep one, you should still get the same result. It probably be best to use the pep. Its possible to lose detail in the vac-former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back