Vacuum Forming Question !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe06

As I'm slowly building my suit (some parts foam, some pep models) I was thinking, maybe I should vacuum form a suit? It seems to be an alternative that takes the best of both foam and pep builds: lightweight and accurate (so I think).

So my question to those with vacuum forming experience, can I make pieces using either of my current foam or resined pep models?
My guess foam is out of the question.
Any answer or advice towards the right direction is really appreciated!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Vacuum forming requires pretty sturdy masters/forms/bucks so you don't crush or deform them in the process. You can use glassed models, but definitely not as-is. You'll need to split them into pieces and reinforce them with something solid like plaster. Simply putting something like expanding foam in them won't work.

What kind of tools do you have access to? It might just be better to make your masters from scratch out of something like MDF, rather than trying to modify your existing armor and risk damaging or destroying it.

Already learning ^.^
I figured foam wouldn't work, but lets say I were to resin, maybe fiberglass my cardstock models and cut it in pieces, would I be able to use them as masters?
Right now I have all the tools needed for fiberglass and foam builds (sanding table, rotary tool, etc), but nothing for a vacuum forming table. I have a general idea on how to build one, but I want to know if it's worth doing and if I'll be able to make masters for it [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I'd glass them. You also need to fill any voids with plaster if you're going to go the normal pepakura route. The idea is to make them as solid as possible if you aren't making them out of an already solid material.

Aso far as tools go, you can get away with making your entire setup with just a drill and a hand saw if you're willing to use a little elbow grease. It doesn't have to be a very precise operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back