veary BIG question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor0356

i wanted to know has any one ever made a real millitary grade spartan suit? like made of mettal bulletproff kevlar \. and the abillaties like being able to run like normal even with all that armor on real ARs ANd real BRs ect ect.:confused

They're not interested in spending that kind of money just to put someone's life on the line.

The government's stance is to inflict the most damage, with the most advanced technologies, with the least amount of RISK to the operator, at minimal cost.

A combat suit fails in almost all regards.

That's why you see UAVs and robotic bomb disposal "robots" being utilized.

We just want to win fights, not look badass in them.

i also saw something on the news with a marine wearing a new suit that they called the iron man suit, they called it that because you know how he had more strength and stuff like that, well they showed the marine pick up almost a ton. in weight. they said the marines will start to use these in a pretty long time though. it was pretty amazing though

Kevlar isn't metal...it is high tensile strength fabric woven together...and the technology is far off to have an entire suit that is compact enough to be similar to a Spartan...they could make it able to withstand damage or give the operator extra abilities...but not both in a wearable outfit...not yet at least.

Honestly, i dont think that suit would have lasted long, looks way to unmanuverable and bulky. Spartans pretty much wear tank armor, the only reason why a nuke reactor is needed is to power the shields and life support, its not a much of a Iron Man suit, the Spartans are the only people big enough, and strong enough to deal with the wieght of the armor.
Believe it or not, when guns started being introduced, way back when, knights and such, needed stronger armor, Blacksmiths did that and acctualy made them bullet proof chest pieces that was pretty much tank armor, if i remeber corrrectly, 2 metals layered one on top off the the other. Progress my firend, something that there has not bee much off, because the need for a "human" soldier is declining and the need for termenators, as a example, are going higher. Even though i would love to make a operational battle suit, wheather a Mk 6, Iron Man, VS or heck a Gundam, i don't have money or resources, even though i hope one day i do, lol, dreams of young future engineer.

1678620662_a4649c0d5b.jpg

ironman.jpg

vs1.jpg

ps2_gundamvscharacters_06.jpg

Attachments

• 1678620662_a4649c0d5b.jpg
    1678620662_a4649c0d5b.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 76
  • ironman.jpg
    ironman.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 98
  • vs1.jpg
    vs1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 93
  • ps2_gundamvscharacters_06.jpg
    ps2_gundamvscharacters_06.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 118
Another problem being is that Kevlar is only useful in small arms fire and shrapnel. For larger rounds like .223 or 7.62 you need ceramic plates which are only worn around the torso; anywhere else and mobility is reduced. So, speaking from experience of marching and running in just IBAs (body armor), your weapon with rounds, field ruck with however many days of supplies and any other special equipment needed for your mission, a full suit similar to moljnir armor is kind of impractical at this time/technology. But as far as an interesting take On maneuverability and personal protection, the dark knight had some interesting ideas.

i also saw something on the news with a marine wearing a new suit that they called the iron man suit, they called it that because you know how he had more strength and stuff like that, well they showed the marine pick up almost a ton. in weight. they said the marines will start to use these in a pretty long time though. it was pretty amazing though

I had read that article in the Top 50 inventions in TIME a few months ago... It's called the XOS 2

I had read that article in the Top 50 inventions in TIME a few months ago... It's called the XOS 2

yes, in fact, the way this thing works is that of the very same as Mjolnir armor explained in the Halo novels.
apparentley a regular marine tried to use the Mjolnir armor and it crushed him into a pretzel :O !

yes, in fact, the way this thing works is that of the very same as Mjolnir armor explained in the Halo novels.
apparentley a regular marine tried to use the Mjolnir armor and it crushed him into a pretzel :O !

The company doing the research developed the "future soldier concept" statues seen at the end of one of the videos in attempts to win over the military's funding. We all dress our stuff up in this way. That doesn't mean that the military has concrete plans to create power suits that are going to be used in combat. Instead they are looking more at what the machine can do as far a local repetitive tasks. Loading boxes, unloading aircraft, mounting munitions, etc...

The BIG issue, and it really is a big issue, is the fact that the suit requires so much power that it must be tethered to it. They say innovation will win over in this aspect, but realistically it's a give and take process. And I personally hate it when developers promise solutions simply based on unforeseen technological advances. It doesn't work in economics either. Plus, that just means there is all sorts of red tape that is just going to get in the way and stall the development further.

The "Iron Man" correlation was only brought up because of the movie hype when the news caught wind of this project. Instead they should have compared it to another movie machine. One that actually serves the same purposes, minus the xeno slaying.

aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg

Attachments

• aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg
    aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 96
We just want to win fights, not look badass in them.

Yay, another one for my quotes.txt :)

More topic related: There actually are battery powered "exoskeletons" (kind of) on the market, but they aren't of military nature at all: They're used in nursing homes to allow elderly people to walk.
I have my doubts that these things could be of much use in combat anyways; one bullet and they're trash, pinning the wearer in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back